Hindsight is Foresight - Hauler Bed Builds

bmzero

I'm working from memory here, since I built this truck years ago. There were wheels to roll the generator out for servicing and the C-channel outriggers were bolted in when this was being done. I'm assuming that when using C-channels I would use trolley wheels from this company http://www.greyhub.com/ I used wheels from them on the hoists

2607307940096176628TObYlg_ph.jpg

and on the tilt bed.

2192388400096176628fjrCRY_fs.jpg

Pricey but they make wheels with very high weight ratings for their size. It was an interesting "challenge", the cables and the fuel line had to be able to retract with the unit. Fuel was diesel drawn from the truck tanks, the tank did have a built in aux fuel outlet, don't know if it's standard on truck tanks (this one had it) or an option for APU unit equipped trucks.

The water tank challenge was also "enlightening". We were trying to get as much water as possible in the space available. Went through all kinds of catalogs of companies making water tanks, one had over 200 different sizes, finally 2 of these side by side filled the space with few inches to spare.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm working from memory here, since I built this truck years ago. There were wheels to roll the generator out for servicing and the C-channel outriggers were bolted in when this was being done. I'm assuming that when using C-channels I would use trolley wheels from this company http://www.greyhub.com/ I used wheels from them on the hoists

2607307940096176628TObYlg_ph.jpg

and on the tilt bed.

2192388400096176628fjrCRY_fs.jpg

Pricey but they make wheels with very high weight ratings for their size. It was an interesting "challenge", the cables and the fuel line had to be able to retract with the unit. Fuel was diesel drawn from the truck tanks, the tank did have a built in aux fuel outlet, don't know if it's standard on truck tanks (this one had it) or an option for APU unit equipped trucks.

The water tank challenge was also "enlightening". We were trying to get as much water as possible in the space available. Went through all kinds of catalogs of companies making water tanks, one had over 200 different sizes, finally 2 of these side by side filled the space with few inches to spare.

That's the first time I have seen http://www.greyhub.com/. Thanks for the link. That may come in handy.

I have a box pan break, foot stomp shear, and a good aluminum supplier close by. I'll probably build the tanks myself to make sure they are baffled correctly and fit just right, but I'll definitely look to see what's out there before I go to that trouble.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

Are you singled short (rear axle moved to the front axle location)?

Did you extend the frame rails?

If so, by how much?

Do you drag the back of the bed going up or down inclined roadways (such as the drive way to a gas station)?

Singled short, the rear axle was moved to the front by the first owner, frame was cut at that time, I had to extend the frame by 5 feet, no I do not drag the tail as of yet, I have had it on several inclines and have not had any problems.

Just got back from a trip to the DRV (Thor) factory last night, pulled a friends new Memphis 44 foot unit home for him, ran great, pulled great but I need to get it into the front end shop, it drifts when passed by other big trucks or passing them as well, I don't like how fast the steering response is.

I have driven class 8 trucks for many years, but never driven a Volvo till now, don't know if it's a Volvo thing or loose parts in the front end, but Tuesday morning she goes in for a check up.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

I need to get it into the front end shop, it drifts when passed by other big trucks or passing them as well.

Roger

Sounds like spring pins and bushings to me. I was afraid mine were worn, but they checked out OK. About $1200 to replace at local Volvo dealer.

Singled short, the rear axle was moved to the front by the first owner, frame was cut at that time, I had to extend the frame by 5 feet, no I do not drag the tail as of yet, I have had it on several inclines and have not had any problems.

Just got back from a trip to the DRV (Thor) factory last night, pulled a friends new Memphis 44 foot unit home for him, ran great, pulled great but I need to get it into the front end shop, it drifts when passed by other big trucks or passing them as well, I don't like how fast the steering response is.

I have driven class 8 trucks for many years, but never driven a Volvo till now, don't know if it's a Volvo thing or loose parts in the front end, but Tuesday morning she goes in for a check up.

Roger

I'd like to hear what you find out at the shop. But if I were a betting man, which I;m not, I'd say the front end is fine. Passing a truck is an aerodynamic thing that has more to do with the fairings and stuff on your truck than alignment. IMO. If you have a 5er on back and it makes a difference vs. bob tail, it likely will be aerodynamics. IMO. The steering is from the singled short. The wb is effectively over 2' shorter than when tandem. IMO.

But I will wait to hear what you find out, and will be very curious to learn something new. From long ago history, I recall driving a same year, make and model pickup, one was short box and other long. The steering difference was amazing. Almost wrecked the shorty as it was so "squirrely".

I'm a work'n on it.

I only suggested spring pin bushings because the mechanic working on my truck illustrated the specific scenario described - steering wheel becoming "loose" when being passed by another truck. From my understanding of it, when the spring pin bushings become warn, that allows the springs to move slightly, effectively turning the tires when the steering wheel isn't turning.

My truck didn't have those symptoms, so I'm definitely not speaking from experience, though.

He also said that these bushings usually need replacing around the 700k mark.

I'm singled short, frame was cut short, I had to extend it, the ET is not as far back as yours though.

The truck "ate" the steers until I had the king pins done. Also the steering box was loose, there is the bolt in it to take some of the slop out which was tightened. Replaced the steers with new ones. Does need the spring pin bushings replaced according to the mechanic, almost 900,000 miles on the truck. This sucker is squirrely when pulling, I got to be on it all the time.

Archived