Suggestions for Great RV Parks to Take Grandkids

new grandmother

Not an RV park, take them out to a boondocking site in the woods away from everything. If it is warm then look for one with a lake or stream nearby. If you need a park look for one that offers access to nature, not a built up environment.

Our number one suggestion would be the Warland Creek boondocking area on Lake Koocanusa near Libby Montana. Lake with great beaches, lots of fish, creek nearby and a short walk through the woods to get to the marina for ice cream or a 3 day fishing licence.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Warland+Creek,+MT/@48.4952358,-115.265753,481m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x53669f8afab86e79:0x4f9026aaa9cf31df

Hide the phones, games and TV! Spend the day splashing and hiking, evenings play games that are fun (not Monopoly or Risk) for all the players. I'd suggest Back-Up 3 for four players that are younger, Pegs and Jokers for three or more that can follow the mildly complicated rules.

If you have a drill you can even make your own Back-Up 3 board, work with the kids to make each their own board and then paint them. Take turns which board gets used and send them home with the kids. Pegs and jokers you could make just one board and share decorating it.

It is a big country! How far do you want to go from Arlington, TX or where ever the grandkids are? How long do you have with them? You will want to have enough time at the destination(s) for them to actually get to do something other than ride there and back looking out the window.

If the kids have never camped, I am not so sure boondocking which requires water conservation, power conservation, etc. would be so good the first couple of trips. For the more natural venues, Texas has a lot of State Parks. Cedar Hill and Cleburne are within 50 miles of Arlington, Dinosaur Valley, Lake Whitney, Meridian and Lake Mineral Wells are less than 100 miles. Take a look for which ones offer ranger activities for the kids. There are also several Corps of Engineers Lakes with Campgrounds in the Arlington area.

At the risk of getting laughed out of the room, I'll offer up Yogi Bear's Jellystone Parks & Resorts (www.campjellystone.com). Their website lists all of their parks, mostly concentrated to the east of the Mississippi. There are a few in Texas. Accommodations available for tents to RVs, plus they have cabins. I took my son tent-camping at the one in Luray, VA for a couple of years when he was elementary school age as an easy, fun way to expose him to camping. It was great fun for him with the water park, putt-putt golf course, and small fishing pond. Very geared towards young'uns.

At the risk of getting laughed out of the room, I'll offer up Yogi Bear's Jellystone Parks & Resorts (www.campjellystone.com). Their website lists all of their parks .....

Stay way clear of the one in Hagerstown MD. Greatly overpriced and a miserable environment during our stay last summer. Never again. Lots of non-campers (day users) using the park amenities and several times the main pool and water slides were closed due to "foreign material in the pool water". Yuck.

We were actually thinking of Fort Wilderness in Disney World! That would be kind of like two vacations in one! Has anyone taken your kids or grandkids there? How was it?

Awesome choice. We spend at least a couple of months there every winter, often not even going into the parks. Lots of great activities at Fort Wilderness. A stay at Fort Wilderness assures you a high rating on the good grandparent scale.

Please share some of your favorite RV parks and areas to take grandchildren. Our's are eight and ten years old. Thank you!

I'm confused (which isn't hard) but your name is new grandmother but your post says grandchildren are 8 and 10??? Just curious.

We haven't made it to the east coast yet but we took our 8 and 10 year old grand kids to West Yellowstone and stayed at a KOA. They had lots to do and an awesome indoor pool.

Disneyland has a couple of nice RV parks as well. We have gone there a few times.

For Grandkids I vote for:

1 Fort Wilderness - The campground is great., lots of activities. There are supervised games every afternoon in the pool. Use the theme parks maybe every other day to limit park fatigue.

2 Look at Jellystone campgrounds. In season they provide lots of kid activities.

Enjoy

Bill

I actually joined this discussion board several years ago when my grandchildren were very young. That's why my name is "new grandmother." I guess I need to update it. Thank you everyone for all of the great suggestions so far! A friend recommended "Fun Valley" in South Fork, Colorado. Has anyone taken your children or grandchildren there?

• 2 weeks later...

This is what we have done for a couple of years. Jellystone in northeast Indiana. Its clean but noisy right next to the bankrupt Indiana Toll way. It is a resort with a water park, Great Pools and fishing ponds for kid.. Then we went to Jellystone in Cave City KY It had a nice water park slide that required the ktd to do serious walking to get to the top. So lots of fresh air exercise and close to Mamouth Cave National Park which should be the reason you are in that neighborhood. The NP was great wore the kids and adults out so that was good. Jelly Stone always had something going on for the restless that is always a good option. The Luau night was a big deal and they had limited service on the water slide to prepare for the Luau (understaffed). So when you visit you need to go with the flow. So the kids love this kind of park but it is not what I would like to leave them with. Hoping to take them to Grand Canyon and the west this year. It is always a challenge with children. So hopefully some will share their best MH trips with Grand Children or Children

. Not that many years ago at a scenic overlook I heard a kid admonish her parent "close the door you are ruining the song" Course now they have the buds so might be forced to get out of the car and look..but they would not hear the silence or the roar of the wind depending on its mood or your locale.All of which make all this driving worthwhile.

My grandkids like Fort Wilderness in Orlando as the best, one suggestion. Plan ahead and book for one of the Holidays. Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas.

Rent a golf cart for Christmas, our favorite, you will not BELIEVE how many Xmas lights that some folks put up. They have thousands of dollars invested in lights. Rudolf peeking out of one of the lower compartments a waterfall with Santa, or Mickey 80 feet up a pine tree. How it got there I don’t know. Takes hours to see them all.

Branson Mo, adults and kids alike. No alcohol, no foul language, lots of laughs, an reasonable. State Camp ground a few miles a way on a large lake.

Get a year zoo pass, good for lots of zoo’s in the country. Pays for it self in two visits. Grandkids look and play till Granddad drops. After hours for members only is always a great hit.

Good luck, enjoy them while you can.
Trucken.

About 50 miles south of Richmond, VA, is North Bend Park at Kerr Dam. It is about 20 miles outside of South Hill. A big wooded campground with big sites. There is the swimming area, plus boating and fishing. The kids can take bikes, walk trails, and you can have campfires. There is a playground and ranger talks/hikes, etc. It is one of our favorites and a great place for kids to be away from TV and Iphones where they can play outside and be real kids. We are taking 3 of the grandkids there in June and it will be the first for the 5 year old. We took the much older kids there on their first camping trip when really young and they have never forgotten the fun they had. A great family campground. It is a Corps park, very popular, so you would need to make reservations.

Carol

Archived