completely clogged shower

dhoss

We have a separate grey tank for our shower and bathroom sink. The shower is completely clogged. We've cleaned out the trap, nothing there. We've tried a plunger and have tried to use a snake auger. It seems to go up the vent pipe instead of down into the drain pipes. Any suggestions. 2010 Cougar trailer.

That's a tough one. I assume that in addition to the trap you have cleaned out the drain where most hair collects. If so, I would suggest coming down the vent pipe from the roof with the snake if that is possible.

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

Anytime I have had a shower drain problem, it has been hair/gunk just below the drain plug. I use a drain zipper (bought at Lowes or Walmart), and follow up with very hot water. I also have a plunger type gizmo called a drain blaster, but it is very difficult to use in the shower/tub as you must securely plug the overflow vent while using it ...same would be true for a plunger.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

Have never had much issue with the shower and when we did, the 2' "zipper" type thing was able to fish out a lot of hair and slime and not having water go down was never really an issue. We have had more of the clogging happen in the bathroom sink drain and have found that a pot of boiling water directly from the stove can sometimes clear that right out.

Good luck!

CAREFULLY going down from the roof with your snake is likely a good plan, you do not want to poke a hole in your tank so be gentle. You could also try using water pressure from the roof if the vent line isn't letting water flow into the tank. Put a pan over the shower drain so you don't end up with a fountain of spray and be ready to cut off the water if it is going the wrong way.

Worst case you will have the drain clear to somewhere past the trap from the shower side and the roof vent clear but a clog in the remaining plumbing. I don't know your rig so you'f have to look to see just how much line you are facing and how far the plug may be in. You can go in from the trap, which gives you more reach and less corners and try and snag the clog from there. A section of brass gas-welding rod with a small hook bent in the end is good, a coat hanger will work but is really a bit too stiff. Run it in and snag a bit of the clog and haul it back to the trap.

If that is your problem you likely have a badly made fitting along the line that is starting the clog by snagging hair. It is likely to cause the problem again too, finding it and fixing it would be a priority project for my next campground that offered nice showers and a nearby hardware store.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I'm going to ask the obvious question, are you sure the grey tank is empty? Do you have standing grey water in the shower?

I am thinking the same thing. Did you observe water leaving the gray tank? I would assume that you must have two gray tank drain valves since you have two tanks so might the problem be in the dump valve for the shower waste tank? Before I go much farther, I would verify that the tank is empty.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Kirk, others et al. If you have 2 grey tanks and two valves do the tanks drain independently of each other. Surely one tank does not drain into the other then from there to the drain final drain.

It sure would seem that there should be standing water in the shower. And if you can get the drain zipper or something else down the actual shower drain it should allow the shower to empty into the tank and of course if it does then the stopage is surly further down. It surely is a good recommendation for the clear hookup at the outlet so you can view the flow on non flow as the case may be.

I wonder if this is too early to bring up putting baking soda in the drain then following with vinegar. Never had one completely stopped at the shower but help clear up slow drain cleared up with multiple doses of soda and vinegar.

Depending on how this drain valve opens are you sure it is openning, Others here with certain types of valve have had cables or rods come loose and the handle is pulling but the valve is not actually openning. One other thing is the kitchen sink on this grey tank. If so is there a chance of a grease clog somewhere.

Baking soda, white vinegar.

1/2-3/4 cup baking soda into the drain to start.

Slowly pour white vinegar in, stop when it foams out of the top of the drain. Continue until foaming stops.

Repeat.

This really eats away 'gunk', and cleans the pipes.

Best of luck,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

I too believe that there may be water in the grey tank. The only time my shower backs up is when the grey tank is full to the top. Otherwise for slow draining the Zip tool always cleaned the hair & muck from the drain. Make sure the tank is empty first. Is the dump valve working or is it stuck closed? Keep us posted. Dave.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

You might try using a Drain Flusher attachment

on your grey water garden hose to clear the blockage. Just make sure you use reduced water pressure instead of full CG pressure.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

You might try using a Drain Flusher attachment

on your grey water garden hose to clear the blockage. Just make sure you use reduced water pressure instead of full CG pressure.

Since he can get a snake as far as the vent stack I would be concerned that all it would do is fill the stack and flood the top of the rig.

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

Since he can get a snake as far as the vent stack I would be concerned that all it would do is fill the stack and flood the top of the rig.

Good point, bad idea. Gushing water and an RV are never good. I've used one at home, never in the RV.

This brings up a point. Since his drain-snake goes up the vent pipe; to me that indicates the plumbing is incorrectly installed, because the snake followed the straightest direction. Usually it's almost impossible to get a drain-snake to make the sharp bend into a Tee.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Maybe the waste valve is plugged. If there is water in the tub and you tried a plunger and a snake then I would think your problem is exiting the tank not getting into the tank.

I have seen where a snake will go through a plug, but plug up as soon as the snake is pulled out.

You need to have someone watch what is coming out with the drain pipe off while you are trying to get it working again.

Or work from the lower end backwards.

Safe travels, Vern

Archived