Square Sewer Hose Storage Bumpers....

Kirk W

Our present RV is another of those which come with the square back bumper that has black rubber blocks in each end and which you are supposed to store the sewer hose in. If you are like me, over the years I have lost many a bumper stop and more than one sewer hose due to the failure of those blocks. The last time this happened, I concluded that there has to be a better way, and I do believe that I have found it!

10868169_10203455362496484_4361298143220

I drilled a 1/2" hole in both sides of the bumper and the pin is a 4" locking clevis pin from the local farm/ranch supply store. I do believe the problem should now be solved!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I dont think it's big enough Kirk, You should have walked down aisle 6 where the 2" hitch pins are :lol: Better get an xtra one pins like that will walk when least expected !

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

I've never owned a RV with those rubber stoppers in them, but seen them and often wondered how good they stayed in, I guess not to good........Looks like what you have done is a good solution.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

I dont think it's big enough Kirk, You should have walked down aisle 6 where the 2" hitch pins are

The 1/2" pins were the smallest diameter pin that was available in a 4" opening length. Total length had to be about 7". I would have preferred to have on 1/4" in diameter, but don't know where to find one and I have looked a lot of different places. I used what is available. ;)

Ever seen a guy wear a belt & suspenders? :rolleyes:

Is the flange on the rubber stopper deep enough that you could put the 1/2" hole through the stopper as well.

Thus keeping the stopper in place. Just a thought.

I thought of that, but the 1/2" hole would eat away most of that flange so the block would probably leave eventually anyway and it really isn't needed. I didn't bother to buy another block as at the moment I only have one. I did just drill a small hole in the other end to put a sheet-metal screw into, through that flange to hold it in, but this is the end next to the dump valves and I didn't want to fool with a screw for that one. I usually have a spare hose in the other end that is only used when I need two lengths so am seldom into it.

On one trailer that I had, a previous owner had drilled some small holes vertically through the bumber and the rubber plugs and had a home made rod almost like a skewer that would come down from the top to hold the rubber plug from coming out. He also had the rubber plug attached to the bumper with a small chain so when removed it would not disappear.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Seems like years ago I saw some rv that came with something in that vein. I noticed it on more than one so I assumed it came from the manufacturer like it. I did some slightly different but cheaper and crappier looking. I have brackets on the bumper for the little clothes line. The brackets are slightly raised with a bolt on each side to clamp them to the bumper. Can you see where I am headed. A couple of pieces of coated scrap copper wire and it even holds the plug on. I don't usually keep my hose in there as the attached 90% head won't fit and more because the hose rubbing around in there during travel starts wearing with the wire and coating start abrading fairly quickly.

We realized that our bumper was rough enough inside that it was rubbing holes in our hoses. The problem was the weld running the length of the bumper. Ended up with a section of PVC bolted to the top of it for the hose.

Before that I drilled a 1/8 hole top to bottom through the bumper and the plugs and dropped in a split pin that was an inch longer than the bumper was thick.

Cotter-Pin.jpg

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

On our old Class C with the square storage bumper, I added light keeper chains to the rubber caps, and also drilled 1/4" holes top and bottom that I dropped 40d nails through with the points dulled. To keep the inside of the bumper from rusting, about once a year I dragged a rag bundle through the tube that was well soaked in Rustoleum paint.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Archived