How to convert hdt to motorhome in florida

fishburn123

Hi, I live in florida and just bought a 1999 770 volvo and was wanting to convert it to a motorhome I asked a dmv about doing this and they referred me to the district headquarters in ocala florida. they sent me a form that is kind of weird to me it looks like a form to do salvaged titles, custom motorcycle builds, hotrods, and other stuff like that. It says i need to send the form in with the completed truck build pictures and 40 dollars for review may take up to 30 days before i can take my truck to ocala for a inspection appointment. I was thinking about taking a copy of the tl-13 form to another dmv and see if i can get anywhere with it. then later put a fith wheel hitch on my truck after I get the truck converted. The other Idea I have is to try to get the truck to ohio where I stay in the summer and convert it to a mh there. I have florida tags on my fithwheel rv and I have a florida drivers liscense. I'm just trying to figure out the easiest way to go about doing this. I also looked at forming a trust in montana and going that route but I think I would have to find a different insurance company. If anyone has advice on what route might be the best for me I would appreciate than you guys and safe travels.post-50873-0-04305600-1423725538_thumb.jpg

Did you check the Resource Guide on this?

As Mark says, check the resource guide. Here is a link. According to the guide, you cannot convert an HDT to a motorhome in FL and pull a 5th wheel with it. You can convert it, but the conversion cannot have a 5th wheel hitch.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

I think I will convert it in ohio since I'm up there about 5 months out of the year. I called a dmv in athens ohio and they have a form sitting right there and said its a simple procedure. The tricky part is getting the truck to ohio from florida

I doubt you have to get the truck to Ohio. They don't do an inspection. They never saw our truck when I converted. I just got the form, filled it out, and paid the small fee. A few days later I had a MH title.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

If I remember correctly when I got my HDT titled in Fl. as a MH all I had to do was go to tax collectors office and they gave me a copy of Fl. statutes that pertained to conversions. there was a list of things that had to be complied with to qualify. IIRC they were shore power (120v) water system, cooking facilities, toilet. To comply with statutes 3 out of 4 had to be done. I installed a 5000watt inverter for 120V requirement, microwave oven for cooking requirement, and for the toilet I put a porta-potty under rear bunk. My truck was never inspected by anyone but I removed the 5th wheel and singled the truck long to cover any grey areas. Really simple IF you go to the right tag agency and get someone in there that knows the law. I called several places that said it couldn't be done in Fl. but I went to one on Kernan Blvd. in Jacksonville Fl. and it was a piece of cake. Hope this helps. Ron

PS I just remembered that I took several pics of all the changes I made just in case someone said "show me".

If I remember correctly when I got my HDT titled in Fl. as a MH all I had to do was go to tax collectors office and they gave me a copy of Fl. statutes that pertained to conversions. there was a list of things that had to be complied with to qualify. IIRC they were shore power (120v) water system, cooking facilities, toilet. To comply with statutes 3 out of 4 had to be done. I installed a 5000watt inverter for 120V requirement, microwave oven for cooking requirement, and for the toilet I put a porta-potty under rear bunk. My truck was never inspected by anyone but I removed the 5th wheel and singled the truck long to cover any grey areas. Really simple IF you go to the right tag agency and get someone in there that knows the law. I called several places that said it couldn't be done in Fl. but I went to one on Kernan Blvd. in Jacksonville Fl. and it was a piece of cake. Hope this helps. Ron

PS I just remembered that I took several pics of all the changes I made just in case someone said "show me".

now did you put a air ride fithwheel back on your truck after you got it titled?

FB, are you an Ohio resident, You have Ohio license, if not this might / would make your plan problematic.

I called a dmv up in ohio and they said technically if I don't have a ohio license its not a big deal. I only got a florida license because I was down here for work and couldn't make it back home to renew.

I doubt you have to get the truck to Ohio. They don't do an inspection. They never saw our truck when I converted. I just got the form, filled it out, and paid the small fee. A few days later I had a MH title.

the only reason I have to bring it there in person is for the out of state inspection to verify the vin number, if i bought the truck in ohio I would only need to fill out paper work.

now did you put a air ride fithwheel back on your truck after you got it titled?

I didn't, I put a Husky 20000 hitch on truck. I didn't have a hitch on it when I took pics of rig. I waited until I got my new title then installed the RV type hitch. Ron

If I understand the FL regulations correctly you cannot have ANY loadbearing hitch on the truck and title as a MH. Commercial is not a factor - ANY hitch is the regulation.....but I'm working from memory here.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

If I understand the FL regulations correctly you cannot have ANY loadbearing hitch on the truck and title as a MH. Commercial is not a factor - ANY hitch is the regulation.....but I'm working from memory here.

You are correct, Im just going to buy a truck when I get to ohio and convert/title it up there since I have a residence up there.

My understanding is that it's a luck of a draw in Florida, you are either trying to benefit from ignorance of one DMV agent, or hoping to avoid a zealot. Neither option is entirely satisfactory. I'm a resident but so far I haven't made an effort to "understand" the situation. We have real estate and a trust in New Hampshire and the trust owns both the truck and the fifth. "Motorhoming" your HDT in New Hampshire is a piece of cake.

I did not find it difficult at all, the DMV I used was familiar with these conversions so that made it a lot easier. Go to the

Tax Collector website defining a Recreational Vehicle under Florida Statute and referencing Florida Statute 320.01. Also refer to

The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles – Division of Motor Vehicles specifically addresses the subject of Certificate of Title Requirements for Recreational Vehicles in its procedure TL-13 – 06 regarding changing a heavy truck to a Recreational Vehicle. It also is a benefit if your HDT is singled the hitch needs to be removed when inspected. The inspection and verification of the VIN may be done by any LEO, which is how I had it done. Jack is correct, you may not have any hitch on the back, especially when inspected or titled, what you do after that is up to you, you may or may not be called on any changes you make. Hope that helps.

Jim

• 2 months later...

If interested, there are several companies such as ShowHauler that I own, that also do conversions.

Good Luck !!!

JohnnyB

Holy Cow Brunje, you own a "conversion company", and you didn't tell us??? (Laughing)

Why the heck are you hiding from us, most of us newbies need you, and there you are hiding in plain sight!!

Do you go to the HDT RV rallies???

The Few

Archived