5th wheel vs motorhome

SWharton

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Since you already have a DP why not buy a truck as to towed vehicle." Might have to check into that idea.

"Young, energetic with family and anxious for adventure............. 5th Wheel

Older, retired, and content to relax more and enjoy the sites........Motor Home" So what for an older, retired couple with a sense of adventure and no money?

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

"So what for an older, retired couple with a sense of adventure and no money?"

Two backpacks and passports. :D

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Just in case you don't know the term, "Full Hook Up" is electric, water and sewer hookups for your RV.

Got it! :)

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

Hounds: Auggie (beer drinking English Cocker Spaniel)

Angus (five pounds of bad azz chihuahua)

Homebase: 2015 Heartland 365 Key West -- The "Uno Mas"

The Office: 2016 Crossroads Hill Country 26RB

"

"Young, energetic with family and anxious for adventure............. 5th Wheel"

Thank you. We feel it...

We have always regarded Class A's were for the Geritol crowd (we know that is quite wrong now) because the vast majority that we see when we travel are piloted by the 70+ crowd that you wonder if they really should be driving... :)

Yup, old people like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzDQDgbM5cA (22 minute video of some younger people in a motorhome).

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Isn't this kind of like comparing apples to oranges? Each is different and good in it's own way. Like others have said before, personal preference. Dave.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

Isn't this kind of like comparing apples to oranges? Each is different and good in it's own way. Like others have said before, personal preference. Dave.

One must vehemently argue for their choice to get the point across that they are right and everyone else is wrong - this is the internet after all. :D

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

One must vehemently argue for their choice to get the point across that they are right and everyone else is wrong - this is the internet after all. :D

Barb

I believe that is called free speech... but really, what else is expected..you have a site here that folks own more than 10 different types of rigs and you ask for an opinion which is better... ??? If you want to dump on someone..go after the person that asked the question.....

I am on several forums and there should be a list of questions that should be banned.....

Not banned, but a sticky with the answers to those questions asked all of the time like:

Which RV Type is Better

How many miles each day

What is the absolute definition of a fulltimer

Can I live on $xxx

Which state is the best for all fulltimers

How old do you have to be to fulltime

Where is the best place to spend the winter

What is the type of campground all fulltimers must use

What type of TP must you use

:DB)

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Not banned, but a sticky with the answers to those questions asked all of the time like:

Seems like a reasonable idea to me. So many people here have had multiple types RVs as well as dropping out of - and back into - RVing. "What is boondocking?", "Do I need a home base?", "Which size is best?", "Diesel or Gas?", "Do you drive at night?", "How fast do you drive?", "Can I stay at rest stops or Walmart?"

There must be a hundred of these types of questions where the answers really don't change much. Perhaps a Frequently Asked Questions forum.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

From a common sense point of view I think some well written FAQ's answering common questions would be helpful.

Still...after doing forums for many years I've found that people like asking the same questions over and over again and almost resent it if you tell them the answers can be found by simply clicking on a supplied link. Also, I find that, while I'm pretty worn out on a question that some people enjoy re-entering the discussion again and again and others who are new enjoy the discussion.

Generally, then, I sit a lot of repeat discussions out and let those who want to talk about it all yet again enjoy the chat. Once in a while I get in a mood to engage and I jump in too.

This thread got my attention because, in spite of the title, the OP really wasn't looking for a MH vrs. 5ver discussion as much as was pointing out that one of the oft mentioned advantages of a MH isn't much of an advantage in his point of view.

Anyway, my guess is that if a nice FAQ were put together and linked on the forum that it would get some use. At the same time, I think a lot of people would ignore it so they could start their own discussion on the much discussed topic.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

I am of the opinion that people can ask whatever they want. Those of us who have been around the forum longer dont own it. If you dont like the thread....dont read it.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

I am of the opinion that people can ask whatever they want. Those of us who have been around the forum longer dont own it. If you dont like the thread....dont read it.

With how often a thread goes off focus and ends up having little to do with its title, I don't see that happening. Witness the one we are on.

I think the comments on the last page or two are why we call this a Forum !! :)

All in good taste, and no sarcasm.

I kinda like it.

Heck, I have learned:

*You can unhook a fifth wheel in 30 seconds

*But not too pleasant to do in the rain

*Older people still like to think they are young and still like to fool around in a fifth wheel

*Some folks still like to have a Gourmet cooking lounge in either rig

*Tents, and tent campers are still in the running

*And some others just like to post ! :)

Cheerfully,

Bob

1989 Safari Serengeti 34'
Towing a 1952 M38A1 Military Willys

Past HDT owner

I have one rule that I don't allow to be broken in my MH.

The Driver cannot leave the driver's seat until the MH is parked.

In a lot of busses there is a toilet in the back, it is not there for the Driver.

I like for all living entities to be tied down while in motion in a vehicle People and Animals.

Have you ever looked in the back of some pickups at what is not tied down and going down the road at 70 mph??? ;)

There are a lot of things that can become missiles when bad things happen on the road. Be Careful out there!!!!

Southwind 35P

ARS KB0OU

EX Submarine driver

I have one rule that I don't allow to be broken in my MH.

The Driver cannot leave the driver's seat until the MH is parked.

Holy Cow!!! If I had a motorhome I would make this my number one rule. I believe it could only be broken once if one was to break it. ;)

2024 GMC 3500HD DRW Denali Diesel

2019 Keystone Avalanche 396BH

USN Retired

Set the cruise, have the passenger put a hand on the wheel and the driver is then free to get up and go. Sure you have minimal steering, little control if a tire pops and you can't use the brakes from the pax seat but that isn't a big deal most of the time.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Set the cruise, have the passenger put a hand on the wheel and the driver is then free to get up and go. Sure you have minimal steering, little control if a tire pops and you can't use the brakes from the pax seat but that isn't a big deal most of the time.

Stanley, I am not positive, but I think that way back someone actually put their motorhome on Cruise Control and got up to go the the bathroom...

http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/cruise.asp

1989 Safari Serengeti 34'
Towing a 1952 M38A1 Military Willys

Past HDT owner

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is the right thread for this: I have my reasons for choosing a class a MH...forget the reasons for now. I will be going full time later this year and am weighing the relative merits of a diesel pusher vs. gas. Setting aside the fuel cost issue temporarily: Are there other advantages of a DP such as crash safety and steering. Some sources say these things are better in a DP

Not sure if this is the right thread for this:

You may want to start a new thread on this subject if you don't get much response, but I'll tray to give you some items to think about.

In my opinion, the #1 advantage to a gas powered class A is the cost of purchase, but another factor is the lower cost of maintenance. The power train life for a diesel is significantly longer, but most of us do not keep a motorhome long enough for that to be a major issue, unless you but a much older one and then it could be pretty important.

The diesels do not have any better or worse safety records than gas rigs.If you are wanting a class A that is 40' or more long, then the diesel is the only way to go since gas chassis have very few built above 35' or so. The other issue is that when they do get longer they typically also loose in cargo carrying capacity as the largest GVWR for a gas chassis is currently 26K while diesel chassis can be found that go far higher, some exceeding twice that much on some bus conversions. Another issue which is limited by a gas chassis is the weight that you can tow with it safely as most gas chassis have 5000# or less tow capability. As you look at diesel rigs, be sure to compare chassis specs. as is true for a gas chassis as well since they are not all the same.

There is no class A ride that will match the air ride that is found in most diesels, but realize that there are diesels at the lower end of the price spectrum which do not have air ride. Having been a long time owner of gas powered class A RVs, the ride is in my view the thing which I consider most difficult to match with a gas chassis. There are after marked air ride systems for gas coaches, but they are very expensive. If you will be a very high mileage traveler or keep yours for an unusually long time, that too could be a viable reason to choose a diesel. While there is really very little that can't be done with a gas coach if you make a few adaptions, I consider the choice much like that of buying a car in that if your budget is large enough, the diesels generally are more luxurious, but if your budget is limited you and live very happily in a gas powered rig and do everything that they do on a lower budget.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived