Grand Canyon AZ to Durango CO on I-160?

Phil Saran

We've driven only the portion from US-89 up to Kayenta. That portion was a good two-lane road that you shouldn't have any problems with. I don't see anything on my Arizona Benchmark Atlas that would indicate that the remainder of the Arizona portion isn't just as good...there are no passes to cross, for example. I can't speak for the Colorado portion, especially past Mancos as it does go through some mountains (we have been on the portion of 160 between Mancos and Durango, but it's been many years ago and I don't recall much about it).

We've driven that route often and it's very good through Durango and on to Pagosa Springs. Then you will come to Wolf Creek Pass which is a climb but many RVers do it. It takes you to South Fork. Continuing east it's mild driving.

Plan on a stop in Pagosa Springs and soak in the wonderful hot springs overlooking the river. They are concrete pools - very clean and varying temperatures. We spend a full morning while there.

Have fun!

If you have the time and have never been to see them Monument Valley, Goosenecks State Park, The Valley of The Gods, Hovenweep National Monument, Natural Bridges National Monument, South Fork of Mule Canyon and House on Fire, Bluff Fort, Edge of the Cedars State Park, and the Blanding Dinosaur Museum are not that far North of US-160. Any or all are worth a visit in my opinion.

Edited to fix link to Monument Valley.

If you have the time and have never been to see them Monument Valley, Goosenecks State Park, The Valley of The Gods, Hovenweep National Monument, Natural Bridges National Monument, South Fork of Mule Canyon and House on Fire, Bluff Fort, Edge of the Cedars State Park, and the Blanding Dinosaur Museum are not that far North of US-160. Any or all are worth a visit in my opinion.

X2 we spent 3 weeks in Bluff and explored a lot of area around there.

89 to 160 to 491 into Cortez are all good roads. Very scenic two lane, easy drives.

As an alternate you can take the 264 to the 191 and stop at Canyon de Chelly

Archived