Park Wifi listings

GVJeeper

But how do you KNOW that it was specifically the review that may have led to the alleged banishment?

Well... for one thing, AFChap said that was the reason. And a simple PM might explain it better. And AFChap has left 138 reviews over a period of several years and is a prolific and, from what I can tell, an accurate reviewer.

But if I were him, after this thread, I'd never post another review again.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

Yes, of course. Responding to this post (below) in this thread by PM would be way too much work and would require an entire staff of people. Far better to just ignore it.

WDR

I probably should not have responded, but I do not expect Nordstroms level of customer service from a crowd sourced website. Anyway, my experience says something like this could blow up into getting sent letters by lawyers, etc. Happens all the time. He who has the most lawyers wins and a campground probably has one on retainer.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I probably should not have responded, but I do not expect Nordstroms level of customer service from a crowd sourced website. Anyway, my experience says something like this could blow up into getting sent letters by lawyers, etc. Happens all the time. He who has the most lawyers wins and a campground probably has one on retainer.

WTF does it take to support the people (reviewers) who support your business? They are effectively employees. Unpaid. Unrewarded. And, apparently, unappreciated. But if one of my customers banned one of my employees I'd want to know why. And if they did it because he told them the truth then I'd drop them as a client.

WDR

Ham Radio

With all due respect, RVPR users are not employees, neither in fact or de facto, and the parks listed therein are not clients. The term client implies there is some contractual relationship between the listed parks and RVPR; there is none.

As has been already stated, the appropriate mechanism for AFChap (or any other user) to inform RVPR of circumstances relating to a park is to submit a review recounting the situation. We often post reviews in which users did not stay at a park but had valuable information to post for others. This is the responsible method for informing RVPR of new information relating to a park.

Unilateral action by RVPR based on information not communicated directly to RVPR would not be a responsible approach to operating a social media website. You may disagree and that is your right.

Joel

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

At a minimum, I'd think AFChap would post the particulars on the RVPR forum to spread the message to RVPR users.

Although that would be his right, we prefer that people post reviews when they have information about parks to share with others. Forum posts have a much smaller audience than do park reviews and they are difficult to search. If he wants to make an impact a review would be the appropriate mechanism.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

With all due respect, without those reviewers posting reviews (for free) your website would be SOL. Although the other 46 websites your business runs and the smartphone apps would probably do ok. But the reviews are your content, and your content brings page views and your page views bring you a cash flow.

AFChap might not even be reading this thread. And the incident occurred in 2011; although he has continued to post reviews for you from all over the US. Which, I think, is nice of him.

WDR

Ham Radio

I think most of us post reviews at RVPR to help other RV'ers. That RVPR makes a few bucks providing the platform for those reviews is not a consideration, any more than posting on this forum generally takes into consideration the for profit status of the forum provider. The RVPR rules don't allow submitting reviews of stays more than 6 months old, and a 2011 event would seem to be outside that parameter.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

With all due respect, without those reviewers posting reviews (for free) your website would be SOL. Although the other 46 websites your business runs and the smartphone apps would probably do ok. But the reviews are your content, and your content brings page views and your page views bring you a cash flow.

"Your website"? I wish. I'm just a lowly site admin.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

But how do you KNOW that it was specifically the review that may have led to the alleged banishment? Not casting aspersion here, but hypothetically how do we know that he didn't pick up after his dog and that was why he was banned and not the review? Do you really think the Park is going to say, "yes, we banished him just because he posted a review we didn't like"?

To avoid confusion ...it was no one review that got me banned from the park. When they called to cancel my reservation made the day before, I asked what I had done to offend and was told that the owner had found my reviews and was tired of my consistent criticism of the wifi, and that he figured out who I was by comparing the dates of the reviews over the years with their records ...my screen name probably helped him. We just moved on to more hospitable places that have worked out very well for us. Life is too short to spend it on disagreeable people. We ALWAYS take any review we read ...positive or negative ...with many grains of salt. It's just one tidbit of info. In ANY rv park, let the rv'er beware.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

I continue to wonder why no one has set up a website in a forum format (by state, city, park) where people can log their wifi experience at the park they are staying at (where they parked in the park, bad at night, etc.). Does anyone know of such a site that we can all access to check out what a parks wifi is REALLY like? This kind of publicity might gets some parks to start updating their systems. Any comments?

I agree with Jack and others comments in that there's really no good way for this to be done. My "Pre-retirement" job is Network Administrator for an Environmental firm with many locations in the Northeast. We have 3 VPN points for remote access which are rock solid. But there's the variable on the other end of end user home equipment, their ISP and ISP equipment, user ability/knowledge (or lack thereof). All in all it's a nightmare for a small percentage but most have no problems.

Remote wifi's would be similar with dependancy on provider, park equipment, you lot location and proximity (LOS), end user equipment and technical ability. There are so many ways where this can fail even with a high end ISP connection. I've been in places where the local system just needed a reboot (as my home time warner cable modem does about weekly). It's kind of a crap shoot. Not to say there aren't parks with very low end equipment and bandwidth that still advertise "WIFI Available" on their website and advertising. The moral of the story is it's easy to be critical, but there are so so many variables you could be deciding not to go to a beautiful park and have a great experience based on a review from someone with crappy equipment on their end and/or very little troubleshooting ability to fix something that may quite likely be on their end. In some cases (certainly not all), it would be a real dis-service to the park and other users to read reviews that weren't really valid due to potential problems on a neophyte user end.

As others said... you need to take a lot of the advice on forums in general with a grain of salt (or a whole salt lick in some cases). There are many wonderful, knowledgeable, helpful people and always a smattering of contrarian whiners who will find something wrong with about anything and probably 3-5 times more likely to write a review than someone who had a great experience.

Cheers,

Don

WiFiRanger has implemented an automatic objective capture of data relating to park WiFi capabilities. If users have allowed the upload of information, the WFR will take speed tests occasionally to known sources (speedtest.net) and then archive all that data for use. It allows a nice objective collection of data.

Additionally, WFR owners may "Rate This Network" directly from the WiFiRanger Control Panel. This provides subjective review as well, that can be aggregated with the objective data also being collected.

The goal is to harness the 1000's of WFRs in the field to collect both types of data, pseudo-objective, and subjective. There are limitations, and of course data errors that are introduced, but the key to good analytics, is tons of data collected in a consistent manner. There's a whole lot of "samples" of data sitting in the WFR servers now, awaiting enough to make sense of it in a fair and helpful manner. When that threshold happens, expect a nice location that shows a geo based map, with speed icons of the WiFi by location. IT will show the robot rating, and the subjective average.

It should evolve as a good tool for those seeking a destination that the Park management has invested properly in.

@JackM 100Mbps? Nice Work....

2008 DynaMax Ultra Sport 45 (WFRMax)
450HP Mercedes, Allison 6 Auto, Cat GenSet
WiFiRanger GoG (775205), WFRMobile, WFRXtreme

It should evolve as a good tool for those seeking a destination that the Park management has invested properly in.

@JackM 100Mbps? Nice Work....

Kelly, the data collected by the WFR being used that way is an ideal solution to this issue. Very impressive. At least it will be once fully utilized.

As to our "new" speeds.....that was only possible once CO passed laws allowing "anyone" to become an ISP. Previously, the cable and phone guys held a monopoly - and they would only give us 10 mbps. Once that law was passed a number of innovative WISP/ISPs popped up where the big guys said it was "impossible" to increase speeds. In our particular case at that park the WISP in the area decided to run their own fiber. A somewhat daunting task that had me skeptical. But they have wired most of their feeders for the town and we are on a main one. 1 gig available everywhere, and they put in the right equipment to maintain that. So we have 100 mbps, which tests out at 92 mbps at our router. :) We will likely increase that as we upgrade our capabilities. We just got that in September before shutting down. This summer I hope to run fiber to the APs.....at least some of them. Then, once we get AC in everywhere I'll crank it up!! But the AC will probably take a year to get in place. First I have to restructure the physical network...it is a "problematic" physical topography.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Kelly is there anything to switch on to allow data? And is it possible to differentiate between - My Verizon wifi connection and a parks?

Mine is 12 mps and the park (next door) is 1.5 mps. The park should go in the DB but mine is based on Verizon's 4G system.

Also, one of my Go2's has a Marine on it (hence much stronger and more capture points) vs the other Go2 which is barefoot. or does it make a DB difference?

In settings, Upload Connection Data is the switch.

Yes, we track the type of device seeing the connection, and the speeds. An Elite, with and XT Upgrade is appropriately adjusted in the DB for its reach and power compared to a Go2 on its own, stuck in a cabinet.

The key is data. We are just accumulating as much as possible so when used, the Standard Deviations can be applied to make valuable sense.

2008 DynaMax Ultra Sport 45 (WFRMax)
450HP Mercedes, Allison 6 Auto, Cat GenSet
WiFiRanger GoG (775205), WFRMobile, WFRXtreme

Archived