Corpus Christie TX Gulf Coast RV Park?

HelloFreedom

Agree with Kirk, for a short 2 week stay the state park is nice. Its right on the Gulf, there are two small jetties that you can fish from and you are only a short drive from Port Aransas or Corpus Christi.(if you like military stuff and WWII check out the USS Lexington docked in Corpus Christi Bay) The only two negatives for the state park, stays are limited to two weeks and there are not sewer hook ups at the sites, only a dump station. If you go to RV Park Reviews check out Port Aransas, Rockport, Four Bluff, and Fulton area parks. Also check out Goose Island Park north of Fulton near Copano Bay and the Aransas Wildlife Area, wintering home of the world's last migrating whooping cranes. We have wintered here on Mustang Island for the last six years and love the area, much to do, see and eat!! You don NOT want to be here during Spring Break as JC notes(100,000 drunk college kids for two weeks) and if you camp on the beach you need a City of Port Aransas Beach Parking Permit, $10 I think. Be careful about getting stuck in the sand, the tow trucks are expensive. Best Wishes, Jay

It's easy to find info about spring break schedules and this year the Texas spring breaks are all over by the ~21st of March. http://gobluetours.com/college-spring-break-state/tx/ This year the overlap of some breaks will mean that the weekend of the ~14th will be the busiest.

Spring break is not a big problem in Corpus Christi; the crowds are pretty much all on North Padre Island/Mustang Island/Port Aransas. In Corpus Christi itself you hardly notice them except for the extra traffic on the causeway to the island. The police set up a command post on the island just north of the causeway and they keep a pretty tight rein on things. Helicopters buzz the beach most of the week.

We stay at Pioneer RV Resort on Mustang Island a few miles south of Port Aransas. The park security keeps the kids out and we stay away from Port Aransas for the couple of weeks. The first year we were here we heard all sorts of "horror stories" about spring break. Our experience has been that they are "urban legend" like most things you read on the internet. It's not even clear that spring break is the big draw that it once was.

We were on Mustang Island just a couple of months ago. We stayed at Pioneer Beach Resort. It's just a short walk over the boardwalk to the beach. We visited some friends who were at Gulf Winds. In my opinion it was a much nicer looking park but I don't know if it cost more. Pioneer was fine and there are lots of activities if you are into that. There is another RV park right on the beach called, appropriately, On The Beach. It looked a little small and not as nice but it was right on the sand. Island RV resort is in town and looked okay but you aren't near the water.

Be sure to take the free ferry ride. It's short but we saw dolphins every time. On the corner where the highways meet is a fast food stand, I think it's called Hot and Crispy Chicken. The food was fantastic! I wish we had tried it earlier, we would have eaten there more often.

As others have mentioned, avoid spring break. The long term residents told us they don't even bother to leave the park during spring break and the beach is a zoo. You can drive on the beach there so I can't imagine what it must be like with crazy kids renting golf carts.

T

In Rockport Spring Break is not a big deal since the beach is small. More families than the other locations. Beacon and Lagoons on the Bay are across the street from the water and have fishing piers. Sand Dollar also, but lots of big Oak Trees. Prices are lower in Rockport for the most part. We have been in Rockport for 5 years and love it, so we are biased.

c u on the road

Blz, the other RV resort is actually named Gulf Waters and is 2 miles south of Pioneer on highway 361. Our rental rates here at Gulf Waters are only slightly higher than Pioneer. We have 158 RV sites. Unfortunately we stay booked from year to year for Spring Break and the major summer holidays and have a waiting list, so getting a spot is a little difficult. As Docj said if you stay in the resort during the two weeks of Spring Break its mostly a non event but if you try to go anywhere the traffic is awful. There are 10 or 12 RV parks on Mustang Island but only 5 or 6 are worth looking at IMO, the others are very small and are almost entirely permanent residents. If you want direct beach access then I would only recommend 3 parks, Mustang Island State Park(for short two week stays) Pioneer Beach Resort or Gulf Water RV Resort. Best Wishes, Jay

I don't know how close you want to be to Corpus but we just spent a week at SeaWind RV Resort. It is a wonderful place with great friendly people, more activities than you can possibly do each week. Right on Baffin Bay with a fishing pier. We had a great time and will definitely return. It was reasonable too. Just south and east of Kingsville. It's a county park.

http://www.seawindrv.com

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for these great recommendations.

I had not heard of Rockport, but after researching, this park seems to have some great reviews and low rates:

Angler’s RV Retreat
1012 N. Moline St.
Rockport, Texas 78382

http://www.anglersrvretreat.com/services.html

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/texas/rockport/anglers-rv-retreat

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g56565-d6468945-Reviews-Angler_s_RV_Retreat-Rockport_Texas.html

I sure appreciate this forum and all my fellow SKPs.

Thank you again.

Joel,

I don't think that link was especially helpful since they left out about ½ of the college campuses in the state. For example, they list UT Austin, but not the OTHER 8 campuses throughout the same. Same for A&M - flagship campus not the others. And not all of the campuses in any one system have the same week off. Plus there are huge number of community colleges, etc. Plus you have all of the K-12 systems that also do spring break during that month.

Easiest way is to assume that during the month of March you are going to see spring break students/families anywhere you go in Texas. Worst is South Padre Island.

Barb

In Rockport Spring Break is not a big deal since the beach is small. More families than the other locations. Beacon and Lagoons on the Bay are across the street from the water and have fishing piers. Sand Dollar also, but lots of big Oak Trees. Prices are lower in Rockport for the most part. We have been in Rockport for 5 years and love it, so we are biased.

c u on the road

I think you're referring to Blue Lagoons RV Park. It has a 500 feet long lighted fishing pier. As Harry stated, Beacon RV Park and Blue Lagoons are right on the bay and are just down the street from each other. Lots of good restaurants and a couple of good bars very close by.

If you want the beach experience then you want to come to Mustang Island or Padre Island National Seashore. But the two weeks of spring break are not recommended. We have been here on Mustang Island at Port Aransas for the last six years and we just stay in the resort those two weeks. If on the other hand you just want to enjoy the south Texas area then the Rockport/Fulton area were Harry Bellerby is is a very good choice and a lot fewer college kids. Either way its a great place to be in the winter time and the local businesses really appreciate the Winter Texans and their impact on the local economy. Best Wishes, Jay

Archived