Extended Warrnty

JimmiV

Members, picking up my Used RV in a week and the dealer is asking about an extended warranty.......the unit is a 2010 Dynamax Grand Sport 40 Gt. It has 18k miles, 100 hrs. On the generator. The unit looks to be in Extremely Good shape.

That being said...I looked at the extended contract and have seen what is covered...and then the 3 pages on what is not covered and why some of the covered things will not be covered....makes me go Hmmmmm.

Any advise out there...I know it is a risk not to get it...day 1 something could go sideways..but I think I have read somewhere that it is more likely to be a waste of money...

Thanks

Jimmi V.

Try http://www.wholesalewarranties.com/ instead of the dealer's option. Dealers make money selling you these warranties and want you to sign, "Now!".

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Insurance companies are in business to make money and they are very good at it. In the long run, the average person will pay more in premiums than they will ever collect in claims.

The real value of insurance or extended warranties is if a loss could be catostrophic for you. As long as you can afford any possible loss, you will almost certainly spend less paying for your losses than paying for your premiums.

However, if a loss could bankrupt you or mean the kids have to drop out of college or something - then insurance is a nice alternative.

The smart move is to research and find out what the average maintenance cost runs per year, mile, etc., and save money up to cover it. When the reserve is enough to cover possible losses, then discontinue insurance and enjoy the savings.

F-250 SCREW 4X4 Gas, 5th NuWa Premier 35FKTG, Full Time, Engineer Ret.

Welcome to the Escapee forums! We are happy to have you be a part of the group and promise to do all that we can to help and support you in your RVing adventures.

On the subject of "extended warranties" I suggest that you start by reading this article about such warranties which was published in Escapee's Magazine. It may help you to understand the choices. I would also do some online shopping for other sellers of the contracts as there may be others available for less cost or better coverage, or possibly even both. Basically an extended warranty for an RV is a health insurance plan for the RV. They very seldom save the buyer money but they do offer peace of mind if you select a good one. Basically you should look at this as a business decision. A business will not insure for losses that they can absorb without major financial hardship, but does buy insurance to protect them in the event of a major loss.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Would not have a RV without a good Extended warranty.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

I would not have an extended warranty on anything....waste of money.

I agree. Unless an unforeseen major repair would break your bank, I'd rather just keep enough savings to handle repairs. Odds are that we'll come out ahead in the long run.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Try http://www.wholesalewarranties.com/ instead of the dealer's option. Dealers make money selling you these warranties and want you to sign, "Now!".

I totally agree. Some folks would rather "self-insure", some like me would rather buy an extended service contract (it is NOT a warranty). To-date I've received about 4/5 of the contract's cost back in covered repairs and still have 14 months remaining on the contract.

I would never buy a used MH without buying an extended service contract.Just my way of doing things.

This is somewhat like buying a life insurance policy, you hope not to use it, but if your engine or transmission requires replacement you're glad you did.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Maybe I'm different from a lot of people but I do all of my own repairs and all of my belongings are paid for plus I keep enough cash in a fund to totally replace anything I own. Guess I'm self insured . Just my way of doing things.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Archived