Generators

preston-y

Here are a couple photos of the drawer setup. The Honda normally rides facing in to exhaust away from the rig.

Later,

J

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah261/Kodiakgringo/20140915_094810_zps802d7a89.jpg

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah261/Kodiakgringo/20140915_094743_zpsf57d0766.jpg

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

I believe it is still on-topic to ask, as the original poster asked about what generator to buy, if you bought one of the smaller units (or two) was there a way to connect them to a rig which had a pre-installed setup for a generator? After all, the larger installed generators fit in the generator area and are exhausted out from there.

Mark from Missouri

Our Future in an RV

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Dually LB 6.7L HO Diesel Aisin Transmission 4x4 3.73 Gears

2019 Vanleigh Vilano 320GK 35’ fifth wheel 16,000-pound GVWR

Mds I am not sure if you were making a statement or asking a question but generally if it there is a prewire for a permanenet generator you can modfy, if necessary, that wiring so a smaller generator located outside the enclosure could plug in at that point and utilize that prewiring.

Dave and Lana Hasper

...................generally if it there is a prewire for a permanenet generator you can modfy, if necessary, that wiring so a smaller generator located outside the enclosure could plug in at that point and utilize that prewiring.

A way to connect one to that connection, yes if you do some major wiring but the small, compact portable sets are not designed to be operated inside of an enclosure so you would still need to have a cord run to the portable somewhere outside of the RV. The units that are designed to be installed into those spaces are designed such that they draw air from outside, force it up and through the engine and generator and back out to remove the heat of operation. They have a blower built into them which performs that function and an exhaust system that extends down, and outside of the RV to exit like the engine exhaust does.. The portables have no such blower, no ducting for the cooling air movement and no means of running the exhaust back and a safe distance outside of that space. As a result there would be no advantage to doing all of that work when you could just connect the standard, shore power cord directly to the portable generator.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I've learned a lot about these little generators reading these posts and looking at the web sites. There's really nothing nicer than pushing a button in your bedroom to start the generator (and the coffee maker) but if my generator goes out I'll have to look hard at these instead of replacing the built-in unit. I just hope it doesn't ever go out. :/

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

I've learned a lot about these little generators reading these posts and looking at the web sites. There's really nothing nicer than pushing a button in your bedroom to start the generator (and the coffee maker) but if my generator goes out I'll have to look hard at these instead of replacing the built-in unit. I just hope it doesn't ever go out. :/

WDR

Actually, you can get electric remote starters for those little guys too. ;-)

WDR ...you have a button for the gen in your bedroom? My buttons are in the dining area and the dash. Oh and on the gen itself. We have to actually get out of bed to start the gen for coffee....lol.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Kodiak How is the noise level when you use that battery tray? Do you get vibration?

Every time I run the Honda I can't get over how quite and smooth it is. This is one of the main reasons I went with it (though the Yamaha was a close second). This smooth running equates to almost no vibration. When the door is open you can hear it's low slow purring noise but we do not find the noise bad. With the door closed it comes to mind only when the microwave or coffee pot starts and the sound level jumps up for a couple minutes before dropping back down. So yes you can hear it but no vibration at all. Perhaps the drawer absorbs it. Bottom line is it is now much more convenient to use. Besides I don't miss hauling it in and out of the basement and around to and from the electric service cord at the rear of the 5er one bit. It being more secure is also a nice feeling.

Later,

J

PS When I did the drawer I also installed conduit and a 30 amp line (capacity for a possible future Honda) and outlet on the frame near the electric service cord (sort of like a built in extension cord) where I simply pug in to it when I fire up the Honda.

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

Yesterday it got up to 88 here at Imperial Dam LTVA and it was quite warm in the rig by the end of the day. My Onan won't start right now so I decided to give my Honda 2000i a shot at running one of my 15,000 btu air conditioners. I didn't have much hope but it worked just fine. I ran it for about an hour and it really cooled things off inside. The elevation here is well under 1000 feet so that certainly helped. I was impressed.

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

Yesterday it got up to 88 here at Imperial Dam LTVA and it was quite warm in the rig by the end of the day. My Onan won't start right now so I decided to give my Honda 2000i a shot at running one of my 15,000 btu air conditioners. I didn't have much hope but it worked just fine. I ran it for about an hour and it really cooled things off inside. The elevation here is well under 1000 feet so that certainly helped. I was impressed.

Wow... I'm impressed, too. Nice to know.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

If your air conditioner is a bit too much for your small generator sometimes you can make things a bit easier on the genny and get it to work. Start the generator and let it warm up for a couple minutes, flip on the air conditioner's fan on low and let it run for a minute then start the air conditioner. Using a heavy duty extension also helps conserve power, at least 12 or better 10 size wire.

Sometimes you have other loads that are difficult to disconnect and may be enough to keep the generator from powering the air conditioner, adding a manual transfer switch to the air conditioner's power line so you can power just it will fix that problem. You can test it to see if it is going to work by just pulling the air conditioner wires off the breaker box and putting a temporary plug on them.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

If your air conditioner is a bit too much for your small generator sometimes you can make things a bit easier on the genny and get it to work. Start the generator and let it warm up for a couple minutes, flip on the air conditioner's fan on low and let it run for a minute then start the air conditioner. Using a heavy duty extension also helps conserve power, at least 12 or better 10 size wire.

Sometimes you have other loads that are difficult to disconnect and may be enough to keep the generator from powering the air conditioner, adding a manual transfer switch to the air conditioner's power line so you can power just it will fix that problem. You can test it to see if it is going to work by just pulling the air conditioner wires off the breaker box and putting a temporary plug on them.

Good advice, Stan. That's exactly what I did. I'm able to isolate the air conditioner by turning off the breaker that feeds the inverter. That way all those loads are powered by the inverter, leaving only things like air conditioners, dishwasher, washer and dryer on the main panel.

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

I've never had much trouble running my 13.5k air conditioner with a single Yamaha 2000. The Yamaha/Honda's are pretty amazing little machines.

What I have found over time though, when running for extended periods, is that I get better fuel economy running both of my 2000's in parallel in eco mode for A/C. For just a half hour or so to take the heat of the day off before bed.. I don't bother. 1's enough, and I imagine any fuel savings are completely lost just cranking over the cousin. :P

The 2000 watt gen can easily handle the running amps of an AC. Its the starting Amps that can load it to the max. This can be alleviated a bit by starting the fan first and get it up to speed before bringing on the compressor.

Also if the compressor has been equipped with a hard start kit it will help a lot as well.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

I thank you all for the info. It was alot more than I ever thought I would get. I'm impressed with this group ,and plan on being a long time member. I will let all of you know what I end up with in a few months. But after all the info all of you have givin me , it looks like it will be one of the Hondas. Thanks again.

it looks like it will be one of the Hondas.

It might sting a little at first, but guaranteed... you'll never regret the investment. Worst case, Honda repair centers are just about everywhere and most parts are readily available "off the shelf" with no major concern if you'll be able to find parts 10 years down the road.

Have FUN!!

Aye, it stings a little at first but the little red gen sets run and run. I have over 4000 hrs on my Honda, starts on first pull most of the time, I get more than 8 hrs run time on a tank of gas. Just change oil at 100 hrs, and stabilize the fuel when not using. Good to go! Enjoy.

RexandRose

Just a note of caution....You probably won't be able to start a 15k BTU A/C with a 2000 watt generator. Thre is usually just too much inrush current during starting the A/C. Some say they can but, even with a hard start hit, mine won't. You also won't be able to run 2 A/C's with a 3000 watt gen. I don't know if 2 paralled 2000's would stagger start 2 A/C's but they wouldn't start both at the same time. Understanding the limitations of your generator will make your camping experience much more pleasant. You probably can find someone who will let you try their genny befoe you buy one to make sure it will do what you want it to do. Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

I have never tried to run either of my ACs with the little Honda, I just use the big on board gen set for that.

RexandRose

X2

Archived