Australia and New Zealand

sue_spahn

I will be taking a trip to Australia and New Zealand this summer (2015) and would like to extend my scheduled tour. If you know of any escapees or other reliable contacts who might give me local information and suggested travel tips please contact me at sue@suespahn.com

Thanks.. Sue Spahn

We did 3 weeks in NZ and a week in Australia in 2003 (Wow, was it that long ago?) We really loved NZ and the people there. Be sure to get away from the population centers and explore the South Island in particular.

We flew to Aukland, then a short flight to Queenstown on the South Island; from there we drove to the SW coast and then up the West coast to Greymouth; train across the mountains to Christchurch; then flew to Rotorua on the North Island and worked our way back to Auckland.

Highlights: Wilderness Lodge near Haast; Wanted to visit Fiordland but could not due to snow; trying a Zorb (1st pic here is where I did it - a real hoot!); a day at hot spring spas in Rotorua; visiting live volcano on White Island.

In Australia we spent a day in Sydney, then flew to Cairns and stayed in Palm Cove. Spent several days visiting the Great Barrier Reef (one trip on a big catamaran, another on a small dive boat); took train to Karunda "Viliage in the Rainforest" and visited Koala Preserve, then took Skytrain gondolas back down to the coast.

Ww would go back to NZ anytime!

Anyone wishing to get some more detailed information about travel in Australia can PM me.

Re prices. Australia will appear to be an expensive destination. Keep mind a few points. US$0.75 will currently buy A$1.00. Australian min wage is $16.87 an hour. Compared to US min wage of US$7.25 an hour. So you need to keep 'affordability' in mind. ie a $4 sandwich in the USA will sent you back $8 in Australia. Same price just a bit of a shock!

Just keep in mind that Australia is as large as the USA and has the population of LA! Roads are far and few between. Folks are friendly and the beer is cold.

regards

forgot to mention for those who don't know me I'm an Australian who travels in the USA for 6 months a year. Have done so for 20 years. So I can see both sides of travel in each country.

Oh dear. Well to be correct I should have said the 'greater' LA area. (Even then the greater LA region is 'only' 17 million. Without illegals. Now I've started an argument). Or if you like, New York. Point being scatter that population over the entire USA and see how many towns you have.

regards

In 2013, we spent 3 months in Australia & 2 months in NZ. Most of our time was spent in rented campervans. We recommend visiting Australia first, then NZ. We hope a trip to Tasmania (time permitting) will be on your list. As hikers, we enjoyed the terrain and scenery offered by Taz & NZ but truly enjoyed the people of Australia. Yes, it expensive but worth the journey. Prior to departure, download several Podcasts for the plane ride. Enjoy :-)

Mark

• 1 month later...

Sue, I am also an Aussie/American. We going back for a visit to Perth in April as my daughter and family live there. If you suggest what you like to do/see in another country and what particular things you have already decided you must see then it may help those of us with some knowledge to make suggestions. It is a big country with lots of empty spaces eg. 80% of all Aussies live within a couple of hours of the coastline and 60% live in 4 big cities (Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane A! Adelaide). It would also help if you mentioned how you think you may wish to travel in Australia. We have used plane, Greyhound bus, train, and Sydney Harbour Ferry.

FYI - I was born and bred in Brisbane and have lived up and down the Queensland coast, in Charters Towers (North Queensland), Stanthorpe (south Queensland), in Gawler (South Australia), and in Wagga Wagga (New South Wales) and rode motorcycle around that part of NSW.

Have a meat pie while you're there. I miss them so.

Ron Cook.

Not to hijack this topic but thanks bigjim. Pie, peas, chips, and gravy [Note: Chips means fries not those things in a packet.]

Now we did eat a lot of mince pies for Christmas and that's mixed fruit in a small tart really.

And then there's Vegemite - real strong healthy kids eat Vegemite ;-)

And Pavlova - fortunately my American wife can make the base for them very well.

Thanks for the tip though.

Something to ponder for those interested in coming to Australia.

The state of Queensland is bigger than Texas. Has a fraction of the roads and a fraction of the population.

Queensland – 1,852,642 square kilometres. Texas – 696,241 square kilometres. Almost three times the size of Texas. Bigger than Alaska!!

Queensland population of 4.7 million. Texas – 27 million. One fifth the population.

Queensland has 20,625 miles of roads. Texas has 650,000 miles of roads. Well you figure it out!!!!!

And that's just one of the 'populated' states.

Pies? Try a pie floater. A meat pie in a bowl covered with green pea soup. Yum.

regards

Oh Bruce, don't dangle a pie floater in front of me. That's called cruel and unusual punishment. They're a South Australian thing I think - banana benders like me didn't have those. We just had mushy peas on top. I'll find out in April what West Aussies eat.

TheCooks Australian's have a 'strange' sense of humour!!! I'm not sure our American friends would relate to rats coffins or maggot bags! Let alone road kill hamburgers! Best to let them come here and discover them for themselves.

regards

Hello,

We live in Nelson New Zealand (NZs sunniest region) and are looking at travelling by Campervan/Motorhome in the USA in May 2015 (arriving and flying out of LA). We have done HOME SWAPS before (in Italy) with great success and have been told that you can do the same things with campervans. We own a 6 Berth Mercedes Sprinter and would be keen to do a swap with someone if you know of anyone interested! We travel a lot around NZ both on short and long trips and can help in the planning if anyone is keen. It doesn't need to by a simultaneous exchange as we would be happy to have someone swap at anytime (for example 15/16 NZ summer or 16/17 NZ summer - whatever suits) We would also consider a car/home swap if that suits someone better. We can be contacted on my email: Candace@nelsonlodge.co.nz.

Archived