What printer to buy?

scouserl41

I prefer laser printers.

If I go a long time without printting, the ink jets heads dry out and I wound up using more ink getting them to work again than actual printing.

If I print a lot the cost of toner is only about 10% of the cost of ink jet ink (per page).

Generally the print quality is a little better with the laser printers. Not that ink jet printing wouldn't be good enough for nearly any application.

A realitivly minor consideration is with a laser I have to be careful to get envelopes that don't self seal going through the printer and self sticking labels that are for a laser printer or they will melt loose and come off inside the printer, wrapping around the fusing roller and make a mess.

Brother has some very nice inexpensive laser printers, although I have a big Samsung multi-function in the trailer that has served me well for many years.

F-250 SCREW 4X4 Gas, 5th NuWa Premier 35FKTG, Full Time, Engineer Ret.

Tom
—————————————————
2005 Born Free 24' Rear Bath
Towing 1978 VW Bug convertible
Minneapolis, MN

We too have been considering a printer upgrade. I have been a long time HP printer user but agree with the other remarks about their software.. It seems to get worse each time you upgrade printers. Thinking about going to a laser also but not sure yet.....

But I'm not going to spend 100K to keep a $100 printer from getting a jolt when we go over a speed bump!!

Love this forum and all it's inhabitants (Inmates?). Hope we'll meet some of you at Escapade.

We will be there so plan to join us at the forum meet & greet at 4:30 pm on Tuesday. It will be in the schedule you get at check-in.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I use color prints in my artwork http://scouserl41.wix.com/brian-downing and also scan documents for my work which I may still do as a consultant on the road. All of which are the reasons I'm looking for an all in one. I think I'm going to go for a Canon simply because I already have injet cartridges and they are refillable and I have had good luck with previous Canon's.

Thanks for all the input, I'll think a bit more, review the choices again, shop around for a deal then let everyone know which way I went.

BnB

2009 Monaco Cayman DP 38'

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an update.

My existing Canon large format printer died while I was thinking about a new replacement,

I called Canon and told them about the B200 error I saw which required unplugging it immediately and calling a repair center (Sounded ominous) It was well out of warranty so no help there.

They advised that the cost of repair would be greater than the coat of a new one.

She was a friendly, well spoken customer care person and we spent some time talking about my needs. She offered a brand new factory direct Pixma 6620 which is relatively small but does not have the fax feature which I personally haven't used in years. It does scan, copy and print. It's wireless and can "Cloud Link" (which might mean it can make rain??).

Biggest deal was the $40 off and free shipping. So I plonked down my money.

It won't take the tanks off my old Canon but apparently all the tanks for this one come in either large and small sizes. It comes with a complete 5 tank set and my normal inkjet refill store say they can refill these 251/250 tanks.

This is not a large format printer so I'll have to tape two prints together if I need 11 x 17 prints.

Thanks for listening.

BnB

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

I was an HP ink and laser fan for years. Then they got greedy on ink and cartridges. Don't even try the ink or cartridge refurb route with HP. They do some wicked tricks that prevent the printer from accepting the cartridge. I use a couple of ink Brothers in my business. I've not had one hiccup and have been using refurb ink since day one. I have one as a direct connect for DVD printing and a second on the network for wired and wireless printing. Thing even works printing for my iPad. I caught the wireless unit on sale at the local office supply store over a year ago on sale for $49 regular price of $119. It's been a worker.

Jerry and Joan

2014 Ford F350 with 6.7 turbo, TrailerSaver

2014 40' Heartland Gateway Fifth wheel

iLoveRVlife.com

• 4 months later...

I have been trying to decide what type of printer to get for my trailer. I would like to use an inkjet all-in-one. I do print a lot (more than I should) and I print a lot in color. I have read all f the posts, but I see nothing about how ink jets or lasers, for that mater handle extreme temperatures. I came home to my trailer the other day and it was 106 degrees inside. Living in Idaho, it can get cold too.

How have your experiences been with temperature changes?

Thank

Laser doesn't seem to care much about temp, cold it takes a bit longer to print the first page, hot it comes out sooner by a couple seconds.

If you print a lot you may find a decent color laser is cheaper to own than an inkjet, we switched and will never own an ink squirter again.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Nice solution, BnB. There are a few things to consider in an RV life that may affect printer reliability and use.

It is not so much about a rough ride as the long periods of being unplugged. Refill inks often do not work so well after long outages.

HP: Was always my goto printer people. Now, not so much. I always have driver conflicts, scanner issues(to the PC) and generally a bother to have to fool with.

Basically, my needs are for a printer that will print when I PRINT something from ... wherever. I don't want to have to first go into techie mode every time. I do like auto-duplexing output. Not that it saves so much paper as it makes for an easier to handle document.

But, I also want an auto-duplexing scanner on it. I don't have any need for a fax but it kinda comes in the AIO bundle. I may print 5 photos a year so that is not a significant need but I do print a lot of spreadsheets with color dynamics on them so that is important.

Since the only place I have to carry a printer is in the cabinet over the entertainment center, it needs to be as light as possible. My current HP C7820 is like lifting a Cadillac up to head height to stow/retrieve it. Unfortunately, ADF printers are heavier.

I would prefer a laser printer but they are scarce and pricey with my other requirements and usually only in higher office models.

At present and assuming no available laser based solutions in my price range, I am looking seriously at the Epson expression XP820 as just about the only one under $200 that will do it all. Anyone with experiences with the XP-820?

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

We have an HP1102W for a couple of years and it has worked flawlessly. It has a small footprint, wireless, and would buy again.

http://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9b-28-415-535

George and Ann Marie

2014 Cedar Creek 36CKTS, 640W of Solar

2012 Ram 3500, DRW, Cummins, Big Horn, Q20, Retrax Pro

Retired US Army

We left HP a few years ago because of poor software and went with a Lexmark Pinnacle. Liked the software and the All-In-One worked very well. When we went to replace it for age reasons, we decided to try Brother. So far the Brother All-In-One does a great job, in a little smaller footprint, and the software is reliable.

We look for printers with separate ink modules for each color. The printers cost a little more but the ink cost goes way down because you only the colors that have run out.

If you print a lot, a black/white laser has the lowest cost per page over ink-jets. Can't say the same for color-lasers as the acquisition cost is a lot higher for the printer.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I'm not a fan of all-in-one units, I like the convenience of separates as well as the ability to upgrade just one function if the need arises. With a wireless printer options for placing it out of the way abound, some folks even banish theirs to the basement.

I just grabbed these off Amazon, prices may be better elsewhere.

This is a decent printer, color duplex and networked: http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0060WDIX8/ref=psdc_172648_t2_B00BR3VZCG

An easy to use and very portable scanner: http://smile.amazon.com/Canon-Products-LiDE220-Document-Scanner/dp/B00LN0NUGC/ref=sr_1_2

Double-sided scanner with document feed: http://smile.amazon.com/Canon-P-215II-Document-Scanner/dp/B00LPRQW86/ref=sr_1_5

An all-in-one version: http://smile.amazon.com/Brother-MFC-9340CDW-Wireless-600x2400dpi-Capacity/dp/B00DJG8D88/ref=sr_1_4

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Hmmmm...That AIO weighs as much as one of my Smart Car loading ramps and costs more than double the XP-820. Which to choose???? does it all lightweight or hernia? Reviews are not bad and Consumer Reports rated it at the top best buy level in their ratiings. I think I have decided.... now where did I put that $150 I had around here last month?

Still want real users' perspectives, though. Not buying until we get settled and I can actually use it.

Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

We have an HP1102W for a couple of years and it has worked flawlessly. It has a small footprint, wireless, and would buy again.

http://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9b-28-415-535

I'm not full time yet with 2 more years until I retire, but this is the printer I plan to use. I have an iPad and it even works for it.

Pat

2006 Chevy Duramax, DRW, ext cab, Long bed, Reese 18K hitch
2011 Carriage Cameo

Ham radio operator, WA3UOE

If you find you like the Epson printers, ask lots of questions first. I have an Epson 730 and really like it over the HP. I noticed that the individual cartridges at OfficeMax were getting harder and harder to find. I complained recently and was told that Epson is working on going to a universal cartridge so a cartridge can be used in any printer. That means in the near future I will have to buy a new printer, even if I don't need one. Right now I order my individual cartridges from Amazon.com. The ink and paper is much cheaper than Officemax.

Carol

The Simpsons

Fulltimers from Va. Beach, VA

2008 37' Hitchhiker, 2008 Dodge Ram 3500

blog: cas32.blogspot.com

Generally a laser will be a little more spendy than an ink-jet, particularly a color laser. However the ink/toner cost per page for a laser will be about 10% of that for ink-jet - not even counting the ink-jet ink that will be wasted cleaning the cartridges and heads if you don't print frequently to keep them from drying out. Which isn't a factor with a laser printer. The cost of toner cartridges is bad expensive, but they last way, way longer than the same dollars worth of ink-jet cartridges. By 2,500 pages or so of printing, the cost savings of toner v. ink will have paid any initial cost difference.

Temperature shouldn't be an issue with either kind of printer. I have carried a Brother ink-jet for years in my notebook travel case, cooked it in the car, froze it in the trunk, no problems and a laser should even be less of a problem.

The laser will generate a fair amount of heat while it is printing. If you printed a couple of reams of paper daily, I think it would noticably add to the A/C load in the summer. A couple of minutes after printing, the laser will go back into sleep/standby and not generate any noticable amount of heat.

If you print lots of labels, note that there is a difference between label sheets, photo-paper, etc., for laser and ink-jet and typically the laser version is more expensive. And it will be messy if you try to use ink-jet labels in a laser printer.

F-250 SCREW 4X4 Gas, 5th NuWa Premier 35FKTG, Full Time, Engineer Ret.

Personally, I really like my Canon PIXMA. It's a little more spendy, but the print quality is great.. it's very small, lightweight.. ink is easy to find, and with a 12v adapter it very easy on the batteries. One invaluable accessory, which you can pick up a generic on ebay for just a few dollars is the bluetooth adapter.

It's extremely travel friendly.

I don't know if it's still on sale but I just replaced my Pixma MX870 with a MX 922 for $99.00 on Friday! I did it online and picked it up at the store. Both Office Depot & Staples had them.

I don't know you size needs scouser141 but if it's not too big, I just loved my MX 870 & the 922 replaced it. Good luck and let us know. Hugs, Di

SKP #48048
2015 single Cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisan Transmission, 410 gear. Pace Edwards automatic roll top cover. AMP running boards & tailgate step.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Suspension, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Leveling System & Plug It Right Stabilizers.
www.plugitright.com Plug It Right Stabilizer, TST, Quadra Big Foot Lever Tailgate Easy Lift Distrubitors
http://www.plugitright.com/5thwheelREDO.html e-mail: plugitright@gmail.com

My oldest son still has teenage daughters at home so when I put together a desktop system for them from one I picked up cheap I had an HP inkjet that came with it. a 1010 little one. The HP 61 inks cost ~ $25-30.00 for a new color and black. I ordered replacement ink from a remanufacturer who had great reviews. HP would not let them work. I was reminded that HP was roping me in again. The ink company refunded no question.

I've had a laser printer now for five three years, a Brother All in one, that connects to my wireless router via ethernet cable and works wirelessly with all my computers and tablets, and with none of the issues of cheap wireless in the printer. http://www.amazon.com/Brother-DCP-7065DN-Monochrome-Multi-Function-Networking/dp/B004ULP9QA/ref=sr_1_1/180-6001461-2480928?ie=UTF8&qid=1436288164&sr=8-1&keywords=brother+dcp+7065dn&pebp=1436288241432&perid=1C85A47WB939KT16N0Y1 Newegg offered it new on a free shipping sale for $84.99 and I'd been looking for the right laser, with easy duplex printing, so we use half the paper when we print. I had forgotten the unbelievable costs of keeping one in ink, especially as we were winding down our paper and ink use. We rarely print anything anymore. Our kids and us swap pics on phones, docs on phone and computers, and even our banking has gone all digital. The beauty of the laser is it scans color as well as any, and makes a great copier. I'd only used one replacement toner cartridge after the freebie ran out. Those were aftermarket too. The brother TN450 big cartridges were on sale when we got the printer on sale from Rosewill and it gave us a little objection but the second one worked fine. They refunded no question and I bought another giving me two backup hi yield cartridges for 15 bucks each, versus $60 for the Brother branded. See this page of my toner cartridges: http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=brother+dcp+7065dn&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=1032218627&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_1n9ry5ezau_e I still get a kick out of watching it suck each page back in and print the other side in duplex mode. I now use the cheapest copier multipurpose 20 pound paper. I don't sweat brightness, or special clay coatings like inkjets need, nor need to buy 24 pound paper or have jams and misfeeds. I haven't had a single jam yet. The single best printer buy of my three and a half decades of buying many of them from the old dot matrix to now.

Helping him out with this system sure brought home that we need some class action suits to force the printer manufacturers to stop preventing our use of refilled ink. If we choose to use them. Today's consumer protection is lacking because this is exactly the same as if our cars refused to fill up at competitively priced gas stations and only would take on fuel at three times the price.

I got in an ad while I was wasting my time with the perfectly good HP. Adorama, a big online store that I'd ordered from several times in the past had this printer/scanner/copier inkjet for sale for $19.99 $23.80 shipped: http://www.adorama.com/ICAMG2520.html?utm_source=EMW&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=ShippingConfirmation

Less than the cost of ink. The reviews liked the print quality, and most importantly that it was easy on ink and inexpensive. And they have a deal on beachfront property in Aridzona. :P

Color laser supplies are even higher. I admit that there are a few folks who actually need great color printers. But I'm not a pro photog. Our pics are all almost completely scanned and digitized, our videos next. I did our music first, ripping them all to mp3s years ago. I gave my kids DVDs of the first runs of pics. My oldest has finally gotten with it and is online and has a smartphone. He was the last paper holdout in the family.

If each evaluates their needs many realistically find they can always print at WalMarts or a big box office store. I haven't needed that yet. Pictures around my home? Digital frames! Each cost about what one of my refills cost. But they don't go dry.

If I wanted cheap ink and reliability and was willing to pay more for a color inkjet to do that, I could have ordered five of them for about $100.00.

Hey, if printing color is how you like spending your money then do. We have our own "luxury/lifestyle" things another would not waste their money on too.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I got roped into AutoDuplexing output when I got my HP 1218. I have tried to go cheaper since then but just get really frustrated with no duplexing... that is on me.

However, I decided to quit procrastinating through researching and bought an Epson XP-820. So far, it is the best printer I have ever owned.... so far.

The software installed completely and pretty much hands-off and all through Wireless connection to the printer. That was impressive. Looking at all the features including Auto duplexing (both output and ADF input) I find that grousing over the cost of ink is a stupid thing to do.... for me. I value the capability and flexibility to meet the needs of the moment way over the $$ amount.

For $149 on Amazon Prime (free shipping for 2 day delivery) I could find nothing else that came close all around. Consumer Reports put it at the top of the All in one printers as a best buy. It takes USB / Flash cards for off-computer scanning and printing and does cloud printing as well as all the others so there should be nothing that I have that can't print and/or scan through it.

It is more compact than my HP7820 and lighter weight, too. So call me easily impressed but I love the auto extension paper catcher. It retracts back into the printer so I don't accidentally back into it with the chair (it's behind me). It is quiet, fast and clean.

We'll see if it continues to hold my favorite printer top spot but so far, it's looking good.

We've been living with the Canon for a couple of months now and it's really easy to use and small enough to store under the couch next to the Crock Pot. It's getting time to fill the ink cartridges, we've been trying to sell the house and have been printing a lot of contracts etc. We've also been scanning a TON of photographs fro the family albums and the software that comes with the printer lets us do 4 at a time.

It's going to be way cheaper to refill the cartridges than buy new ones and Canon's can still be refilled whereas Epson can't.

Thanks

BnB

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

Archived