LT Tires

yzg

• 2 weeks later...

This decided the issue for me:

ST tires & LT tires are built to meet very different certification tests.

The gist of it is that ST tires must survive 4 relatively short testing cycles as follows:

FMVSS § 571.119 Standard No. 119; New pneumatic tires for vehicles other than passenger cars. wrote:

All testing at maximum load tire pressure.

2-hour test: 88% of tire maximum load rating at 50 MPH

30-minute test: 88% of tire maximum load rating at 75 MPH

30-minute test: 88% of tire maximum load rating at 80 MPH

30-minute test: 88% of tire maximum load rating at 85 MPH

OTOH, LT tires must meet far more severe certification tests:

NHTSA "LABORATORY TEST PROCEDURE FOR FMVSS No. 139" wrote:

Category B Endurance Test:

(LT "E" tire at 50 PSI)

4-hour test: 85% of tire maximum load rating at 75 MPH

6-hour test: 90% of tire maximum load rating at 75 MPH

24-hour test: 100% of tire maximum load rating at 75 MPH

Low Inflation Endurance Test:

(LT "E" tire at 37.7 PSI)

90-minute test: 100% of maximum load rating at 75 MPH

High Speed Performance Test

(LT "E" tire at 60 PSI at 75 MPH)

30 minute test: 85% of maximum load rating at 87 MPH,

30 minute test: 85% of maximum load rating at 93 MPH,

30 minute test: 85% of maximum load rating at 99 MPH

Note how the LT tire not only must endure far higher speeds during its certification test than the ST, they must survive these speeds while carrying its maximum rated load at less than normal tire pressure. In fact, the LT tire must survive carrying its max rated load at only 50% rated tire pressure at 75 MPH. It is only in the high speed test reaching speeds of 99 MPH that the LT is given the break of only having to carry 85% of its max load, although still at only 75% of its full air pressure.

As a result of the far more challenging conditions the LT tire is submitted to during its certification procedure, it is much more capable of enduring the heat developed at its rated load, especially at highway speeds.

If you review some of my post you will see I have my share of tire problems some tire failures and some do axle alignment. I am currently sitting ins San Antonio and I have a blister in the inside wall of one tire about the size of a baseball. My first tires was Trailer king and not good at all and this set is Carlisle from Discount Tire. I watch my TPMS closely and can tell you the tire with the blister was running the coolest of the 4 yet this is the one that failed.

Before leaving will replace with another Carlisle tire but when I get home will go to Michelin XPS's and of course 16" tires. I have not ever had a problem with these tires so will try them again. If I have troubles with them will have to go to the 17" tires and wheel as the next try for a cure.I probably should have gone to the Michelin sooner but hindsight you know is 20/20.

On edit: I should say this is my opinion and not necessarily should be followed by anyone. I have not had the rig weighed since I bought it new one of those things I know should do just have not got it done.

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

In 2013 I replaced 3 "E" rated tires on one 2000 mile trip. I was lucky to find 2 of the bad tires when I stopped and walked around. The third tire wasn't pretty but no damage, Thanks to an 18 wheeler's horn as rubber started to litter the highway. Before the next trip I replaced the fourth tire and had tire pressure monitoring and that was scarcely as the pressure difference from side to side would change depending on the side wind or the amount of crown of the road. Thus I would slow down. I did my home work and found my wheels was capable of the higher pressures for the Goodyear G614.

I replaced the tires before pulling this year as I expect 6-7000 towed miles this year and so far it was good investment. The tires appear to run cooler. Also I did drive faster than 65 on a 2 lane road that I was still passed by 18 wheelers and muddy pickups.

Side note is my spare wheel is steel and only rated 80 pounds so I consider my present spare to be something I can only limp down the road with the risk of RV body damage.

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Archived