2015 National HDT Rally Seminars

sdixon747

Gail is working on the schedule for the HDT Rally and is looking for some ideas on seminars that you, the participants, would like to see. If you have a topic that you think may be of interest to the group, please let me know. If you can present the topic, even better. Come on everyone, let's get the ideas flowing.

Steve & Gail

2000 Volvo VNL660 Autoshift Detroit 60 12.7 "Semi Crazy"

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

2018 Space Craft 48' TT "The Nut House"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

Volvo w SpaceCraft 1024.jpg

Steve, I would like to have Phil give an open discussion on "commercial" vs. "non-commercial" since it pops up as one of the most misunderstood topics on the forum. Sorry for volunteering you Phil but remember I asked for the same thing if you ever came to the ECR :)

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Just sent Gail a note. I'd put together a few ideas a while back.

Inquiring minds would like to know?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Here's what I suggested:

Truck Conversions -- an intro on truck conversions. Who makes them, pros, cons, etc. Bob Winsor has been promoting the rally over on truckconversion.net, and I'm going to try to recruit him to help me with this one.

Lighting -- I've already started working on a guide for figuring out the lighting requirements that come into play when converting a truck tractor to an RV hauler. Brake lights, marker lights, turn signals, etc.--all the stuff that's relevant when building a bed. Phil agreed to help me out with it, but it's still in very rough draft status right now. The seminar will cover the basic requirements, some recommendations, and hopefully some "fail-safe" approaches to areas where an RV HDT falls into grey areas.

Automating Your RV -- Open automation basics, and a few examples: lighting control, filling the water tanks, "priming" hot water at the faucets--mainly an introduction to some of the hardware platforms that have driven costs way down in the last few years and how to make them work well in an RV.

Lithium Battery Systems -- Battery selection, charging, battery management systems, etc.

New RV Tech -- I think it would be neat to have a short time slot for a seminar/discussion that focused on whatever new gadgets, gizmos, tools, etc. have popped up but don't otherwise fit in one of the other sessions, and may not need a stand-alone topic.

When I put it all in one place, it looks like I'm going to be busy!

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

David,

When you feel ready hopefully I can recruit you for the ECR also.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Carl & David, I am heading out the door but will get with you both shortly.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

David, you want to discuss Lithium offline some? I'll be up there in a month...we can discuss it then - or via email. If you want to present it - great. Or I'd be willing to present something. But if I do, then I'm dropping one of my other presentations. I think the LFP topic is germane to a lot of things....including running air conditioning for the truck. I'm starting to see it called out in RV electrical system design requests. Obviously it has been around for awhile, but it only recently has become what I'd tenuously call "mainstream ready". And that may be pushing things a little.

Oh, BTW, I have a whole house automation system running this new coach. It works well. iPad, phone, or Android tablet interface. We can play some when I see you.

New RV Tech is also an interesting topic. I probably have as many techy things in this coach as any towable. I'm not sure that it is a seminar topic, but if anyone wants to discuss "state of the art" tech for RVs feel free to contact me. I'd lead a "happy hour" structured discussion on the topic, since I follow possible technology for incorporation into a particular manufactures coaches.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

David, you want to discuss Lithium offline some? I'll be up there in a month...we can discuss it then - or via email. If you want to present it - great. Or I'd be willing to present something. But if I do, then I'm dropping one of my other presentations. I think the LFP topic is germane to a lot of things....including running air conditioning for the truck. I'm starting to see it called out in RV electrical system design requests. Obviously it has been around for awhile, but it only recently has become what I'd tenuously call "mainstream ready". And that may be pushing things a little.

Sure--anytime. I'm doing my homework now with the intention of replacing my existing battery bank later this year. Probably the biggest item I'm still not satisfied with is the chargers that are out there--I really want to take advantage of fast charging rates (and the fact that I have a 12kW generator that is way under-utilized).

New RV Tech is also an interesting topic. I probably have as many techy things in this coach as any towable. I'm not sure that it is a seminar topic, but if anyone wants to discuss "state of the art" tech for RVs feel free to contact me. I'd lead a "happy hour" structured discussion on the topic, since I follow possible technology for incorporation into a particular manufactures coaches.

I figured a discussion was probably the most useful format, and wouldn't necessarily take that much time. But putting it on the schedule would get everyone thinking about it some, and would be flexible enough that a "gotta have it" new thing wouldn't have to be either added in last minute (not easy on our rally organizers) or left out until the next year.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

We are planning on attending and will meet up with our builder there. I can ask him if he can help / add to a topic or two and collectively we can all learn some new things as well. I'm getting to like this place more and more...

Denver and Ms Judy Geitgey

2006 VOLVO 780

41 ' Redwood

NTPA Event Announcer

dngeitgey@gmail.com

event.png

Thanks everyone. We're getting some great ideas for some seminars here on the forum and through private emails. Many new ones and some updated ones from years past. Keep the ideas coming. Don't be shy. Remember, this is your rally and we want to make it what you, the people that come and participate want. Every year, the HDT Rally gets bigger and better than the year before. This year looks to do it again.

Steve & Gail

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

Great ideas, the security on the road and ham radio stuff had folks taking notes.

Always happy to help, let me know what you want or need, see what I can do.

Yamaha V-Star
2007 Kenworth T2000 tandem aircutter
ThermoKing TriPack
2003 Holiday Rambler 36' Presidential
short trips-88 Allegro on Astro

• 4 months later...

I am a new member of Excapee's, but have 55 years in trucking, 35 of it over the road. I have become facinated with hauling a Smart car, as you see I built one in 3 weeks, part time. I learned real quick there is more than one way to build a bed. I think for people that are not truckers and may be afraid to tackle the job, we can be helpful in showing various idea's guys have come up with. Frame height can be lowered, winch systems can vary, and ramp sizes and cost. Just FYI, I got my wheel stops at Camping World, on sale, for less than $3.00 each. I couldn't build them for double that, and the time involved. I welded a plate under them, made a slide notch for the bolts, and done!

Anyway, thanks for letting us vent, I am looking forward to Kansas. I have no idea what to bring. Will I need tire chains, tent stakes for high winds, extra cans of roof seal for torrential rains, passport?

Bigtrailer

Bigtrailer

It will be great to meet you in Kansas. I always look forward to seeing the innovations people come up with when building a bed.

Steve

Steve & Gail

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

Nice rig Steve. Can Gail drive it? My spouse, Michele wants to try the Freightliner, she just has to get over the size. I was going to enclose my Smart car, I ran out of room trying to keep under 65 feet. I am at 63 right now.

Bigtrailer

Yes, Gail does drive. She will do everything but back the trailer.

As for the size, most of these trucks are not much longer than a full size dually pickup. Not much wider than a full size dually pickup. They are just taller which gives a better view of the traffic ahead.

Steve

Steve & Gail

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

I like your trailer a lot. So much easier to pull like you do, and if wind drag is a factor, you have that nailed. I never gave it a thought when we bought the trailer, to look into a longer pull. I had a 26 footer, but no slide and just not enough room. Yours looks long, is it heavy?

Bill

Archived