Alliant Credit Union

Peaceful Page

We are coming down to less than 6 months before we become full-timers and some of the final pieces need to be put in place.

We are currently members of our local credit union and love it. However, we will have to end our relationship with them when we change our domicile to Florida. I have been looking at joining Alliant and would appreciate honest reviews from those that are members.

Thank you!

If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never again think a negative thought. ^_^

Tow vehicle - Custom 2015 Freightliner M2/106 -Cummins ISL with Allison 3000 transmission, Reading service body

Residence: 2015 Airstream Classic

We have used them as a 'checkbook' credit union, depositing SS and pension monies there for withdrawal from a very good ATM network. That has worked smoothly. I would mention that our need for ATM access has been greatly reduced by learning that Walmart will gladly allow 'Cash Back' on debit card purchases.

Their online computer system is very user friendly - Absolutely no complaints. Fund transfers, internal and external, are handled nicely, and security appears to be very good.

This is all we have used them for... but they are superior in these uses (especially transfers) than my 30+ year large CU back home.

Good luck with things!

Jim

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

I have accounts in 4 credit unions around the country and have had no problems with using all of them though I have only domiciled in the area of the last 2 for the past 30 years. Not sure what the issues are unless they just don't do remote and online banking. For me, that would have killed any one of them 30 years ago even while living in that area.

One thing I have found to be very valuable is for the bank or credit Union to have mobile deposit capability from a computer, smart phone or tablet. Most in hand deposits that don't go via direct deposit go in this way. A few times I have had a check that was too large of an amount or physically could not be properly scanned via camera and I had to find a nearby way to deposit it. This has only happened about 3 times in the past 7 years, though.

Another good requirement to check for, though, is how many co operative banks and credit unions your choice will have available around the country. Mine all are members of a remote banking coop which lets me walk into any one of them anywhere in the country and do whatever business I could do at my home CU. This is unrelated to the ATM networks it might also belong to for no fee ATM cash withdrawals. That is completely independent of the Co-Operative banking affiliation it may have.

Happy hunting.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

I'm a member of several military affiliated credit unions, they work well for me and let me stash my ready cash somewhere it will do other service folks some good. If you are eligible to join one you might give them a look.

There is a good research page here: http://www.ncua.gov/Pages/default.aspx

A snip from one of mine that you'd want to find something like on any one you were considering:

Have access to over 48,000 surcharge-free CO-OP Network, MoneyPass, and Credit Union 24 CU HERE ATMs nationwide.
Your first four transactions per month are totally free. Only $1.00 for each additional transaction.

This lets me use any member's branches pretty much like one of my own place's branches as Budd mentioned.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

We have a savings account with them and we also used them to purchase our MH. Absolutely great fast service. Knowledgeable employees who put up with us for 2 years during our hunt. Repeatedly researing loan values etc. We will soon be moving all our accounts there

Highly recommend them

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

We've used them for loans as have our friends. Fast. efficient and flexible. Both loans have been done on line with only one or two calls for clarification..

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

RIP Snoopy we lost you 5-11-14 but you'll always travel with us
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

HoD vay' wej qoH SoH je nep! ngebmo' vIt neH 'ach SoHbe' loD Hem, wa' ngebmo'. nuqneH...

We have a savings account with them and we also used them to purchase our MH. Absolutely great fast service. Knowledgeable employees who put up with us for 2 years during our hunt. Repeatedly researing loan values etc. We will soon be moving all our accounts there

Highly recommend them

X2 for us. Savings and RV loan. Maybe in the future we will move everything to them as well.

2024 GMC 3500HD DRW Denali Diesel

2019 Keystone Avalanche 396BH

USN Retired

Thank you all for your thoughts and comments.

We will just need the checking/savings side, no loans. Reading that their online access is user-friendly is a relief. My current credit union just "upgraded" their site. Arrrrgh is all I can say about navigating around it now.

If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never again think a negative thought. ^_^

Tow vehicle - Custom 2015 Freightliner M2/106 -Cummins ISL with Allison 3000 transmission, Reading service body

And, unfortunately, Stanley P. Miller, I am not eligible to use military affiliated CUs. My dad was in the service at the end of WWII, but neither I, nor my husband, have served. Thank you for your service.

Thank you all for your thoughts and comments.

We will just need the checking/savings side, no loans. Reading that their online access is user-friendly is a relief. My current credit union just "upgraded" their site. Arrrrgh is all I can say about navigating around it now.

So why do you have to drop your current credit union?

As others have said, there is usually no need to do that. I changed domicile from Washington to South Dakota, but still use the credit union in Washington. All I had to do is change the address on the account.

If you want to open an account at a credit union in you new state of domicile, you can still keep your account open in your current state of domicile.

Don

One must be a South Carolina resident to use my current credit union. We will no longer be SC residents when we change our domicile.

My father did not use any military affiliated credit unions and he died 10 years ago next month, so you are correct bigjim, not a help to me, but maybe to others.

check with your SC credit union. I think in most cases you can remain an active member of the the credit union even if you move but may limit some loans. Still for fulltiming there are others that are knowledgeable about fulltimers and therefore are easier to use. The same holds true for some banks. I will say IMHO stay away from Bank of America, again JMO and for those that have it and like it, great.

Alliant is easy to work with. They have photo deposits of checks, a good Mobile app, have reasonable loan rates and give a discount for Escapees. Really, I have nothing to say negative about Alliant.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

We are members of Alliant CU. There is absolutely nothing negative we can say. We have a HSA with them due to our high deductible and they pay more dividends than Chase or any of the big banks.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

One must be a South Carolina resident to use my current credit union. We will no longer be SC residents when we change our domicile.

My father did not use any military affiliated credit unions and he died 10 years ago next month, so you are correct bigjim, not a help to me, but maybe to others.

My credit union was for residents of the county I lived in. When I changed domicile, they told me that once I was a member, I could always be a member. I have been banking there ever since. No problems.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2011 Ford F350 CC SRW

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."       Will Rogers        

That was/is true with my CU, but once you are a member you do not have to remain a resident of the state.

As others have mentioned, most military credit unions generally only need proof that a family member was in the service, to join.

Don

Archived