Microsoft is looking a lot like Apple — and Nadella like Jobs

RV_

I read that headline and thought it was going to be a slanderous mass of writhing pulsating, "stuff." Against one or the other. But I really like the article and think the author had some great points.

Excerpt:

"Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella is showing the same kind of leadership that Steve Jobs used to rescue Apple.

Last week, Microsoft CEO said what Windows fans haven't wanted to admit: The fact that a billion-and-a-half users use Windows is incredible. And we want to be able to serve that base and grow that base with the innovation. ... And that’s what I want us to be focused on ... We have bigger hopes, higher aspirations for Windows. We want to move from people needing Windows to choosing Windows, to loving Windows. That is our bold goal.

For far too long, Microsoft has abused Windows, releasing and then resolutely defending monstrosities like Vista and Windows 8 under a very cynical belief that people had no choice but to swallow Windows, whatever version Microsoft delivered. Its attitude on Office wasn't much different, so the product blew up to Jabba the Hut proportions.

When people had a real alternative to Windows, they moved at a pace never seen before in the history of technology, making the iPad the most quickly adopted technology ever. For half a decade, PC sales have declined, but Mac sales have grown, despite their huge price premium. Android also benefited from the "I don't need a new PC" attitude from individuals and businesses alike, and Google is now hoping so too will Chromebooks. Anything but Windows, right?

What will matter is not whether Nadella initiated new product lines but whether he'll create a long-term vision for them, both as individual products and as part of a long-term strategy for Microsoft. Apple's Jobs clearly had such a strategy for the Mac, iPod, iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, and now Apple Watch, which current CEO Tim Cook seems to be evolving nicely into other areas, from home automation to federated device services.

My impression from Nadella's clear, cogent vision is that he too has a grand evolutionary plan for Microsoft.

It would be ironic if Microsoft regains its glory under Nadella following the same kind of trajectory that Apple used under Jobs to go from near death to being the most valuable company on the planet. But it would also be a great development and a testament to the value of real leadership."

Much more in the article here: http://www.infoworld.com/article/2874818/techology-business/microsoft-looks-like-apple-satya-nadella-like-steve-jobs.html?phint=newt%3Dinfoworld_tech_microsoft&phint=idg_eid%3D6aa01e18b29f7b6f9149f611f8eac228#tk.IFWNLE_nlt_entwindows_2015-01-28

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived