Automatic levelers

Gypsy Traveler

Hi Everyone,

We are still looking for the perfect 5th wheel. My husband had a 5th wheel before I met him that did not have automatic leveling. He said he and his ex got into some horrible 'discussions'.

SOO....the ones we are looking at now, he wants auto levelers. Some have electric, some hydraulic. I've also seen where you can have a system installed.

We're still newbies so has anyone had any experience? Any advice?

Thanks,

Christine

Our 5er has the Lippert Level Up System. It's Kathy's job to push the button, raising the hitch pin so I can pull out from under the rig. Then she pushes another button and waits about 30 seconds while the CC levels.

My only suggestion is you ensure the reservoir is filled to its proper level at the dealership. Slides in, level up retracted.

When I bought my fifthwheel, the Bigfoot leveling system was a $3000 option and I ordinarily would have passed on it because I am cheap. But it was included as an option and I got a good deal overall on the RV and I am glad I have the Bigfoot. It sure beats carrying around and using those dirty leveling boards. It also comes in handy when I have a flat. Each jack on my unit has a 14,000 lb. capacity and can lift the entire RV off the ground.

The Bigfoot works very well. We have had it on four 5ers now. That would be my first choice.

The Level-Up also works well and is available on many 5ers now. I'd own it as well - but IMO the Bigfoot is the one to add on, if it is not already there. That assumes you have a frame that can take 4-point leveling. Some of the Lippert frames (and others) are not capable of 4-point leveling. It is not in the design criteria for the frame.

We purchased a 2012 Jayco Pinnacle 5th wheel today. We are going to have the auto levers installed and just finance it with the trailer. I have Fibromyalgia and my husband has a couple issues so we want an easy time of things. All your input helps tremendously. My husband is worried about the 4 versus 6 point system and hydraulic versus electric. I think the RV place does the 4 point electric system. We're in Boise and I think only 2 places install these.

First thing we did when we bought the Mountain Aire was take it to Quadra and have a BigFoot installed. Best RV investment we ever made, we would not be without it. Other than a loose wire in the control box the first week out (fixed immediately by Quadra) it has performed flawlessly for 8 years.

Another advantage other than the leveling convenience: when I bought new tires the dealer said "I can supply the tires, but I don't know if I can jack that thing up." No problem, I just put the BigFoot in manual mode and lifted the rig until all eight tires were hanging in the air. The four 6k jacks can lift 20k with ease.

Archived