Air Brakes! ...Pedal stroke concerns! Any advice?

Big Z

All the brake pads look to be over an inch wide! (fwiw) My concern is how touchy the system is!... I have probably less than 1/2 an inch stroke of pedal, (feels like a 1/4") from touching the pedal to max -- Lock um up!-- position! ... Could it be a bad valve? ... is there any adjustments?

I'm sure I'll be taking the Freightliner M2 in for a check up before leaving AZ, but thought I'd ask you experienced MD & HDT drivers here first!

Thanks!

2000 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40' DP

2015 DRV 38RSSA 5th wheel

2004 M2 106 MDT

It's What You Learn, After You Know It All!... That Counts!!

Sounds right. I've never measured, but probably have 3/4" of travel. All the braking happens at the bottom, based on watching the brake pressure gauge, What I mean, is, that the gauge will barely move for most of the initial pedal travel. as this is when the slack is being taken up. Keep an eye on the pressure gauge, as you apply the brakes. You'll get the feel for it.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

If the brakes(slack adjusters) are setup too tight you could have overly touchy brakes. If you know how to adjust them, crawl underneath and back them off 1/8 of a turn(moves the shoes just slightly away from the drums). If you are not positive what you are doing take it to someone who does.

If the brakes(slack adjusters) are setup too tight you could have overly touchy brakes. If you know how to adjust them, crawl underneath and back them off 1/8 of a turn(moves the shoes just slightly away from the drums). If you are not positive what you are doing take it to someone who does.

These are self adjusting brakes.

2004 M2 106 MDT

Sounds right. I've never measured, but probably have 3/4" of travel. All the braking happens at the bottom, based on watching the brake pressure gauge, What I mean, is, that the gauge will barely move for most of the initial pedal travel. as this is when the slack is being taken up. Keep an eye on the pressure gauge, as you apply the brakes. You'll get the feel for it.

Oh! I got the feel of it! LoL!... What little there is!

2004 M2 106 MDT

Archived