Towing question

aunut

Just curious about vehicles that can or can't be towed. I know that it has something to do with transmission fluid not being circulated. But, not being mechanically inclined, why would some auto trans be ok when some are not? Why would some require a trans pump? And, I've noticed that some can never be towed, even with a pump. Why? I'm only talking about 4 down.

2014 Winnebago Vista 35B Class A. 2010 Honda CR-V.

Check this article out, it explains why you can and can not tow four down.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/what-cars-can-be-flat-towed-behind-an-rv.html

Thanks. Good article. I understand now that those that can't be towed have a fluid pump for everyday driving. I'm glad my CR-V doesn't. Seems like something else that could go wrong in everyday driving (although rarely).

I still don't understand why Honda changed the C-RV this year so that it can't be towed 4 down.

2014 Winnebago Vista 35B Class A. 2010 Honda CR-V.

The fluid in an automatic transmission is circulated when the engine is running. When the engine is not running the fluid is not circulated and the drive shaft turns which turns the gears in the transmission when in neutral and being towed which burns the bands and gears up. A standard shift transmission can be towed in neutral without damaging the transmission. A 4x4 automatic transmission can be towed by shifting the auto trans into neutral and the 4x4 transfer case into neutral. The front and rear drive shafts run into the transfer case and are not directly connected to the trans which allows towing without turning the gears in the auto trans.

Wandering1

Why did Honda change the CRV?

It is my understanding that the "going thing" for better fuelmileage is a CVT (constant velocity transmission). Nissan introduced it in 2014 in some models. Downside is it cannot tow nor be towed without major damage.

Reading a while back, the Honda CRV according to corporate was getting dated and falling behind the competition. So Honda did a "mid-life" makeover and put it on the Accord platform which immediately took it off the four down tow list. Unfortunately the market for four down tow vehicles is not even a blip on the radar screen. I remember a number of years ago Saturn did the same thing. The only people that took a beating on that brilliant idea was the dealers left with nothing to sell to the folks that had towed Saturns for years.

Sometimes the manufacturer looks at sales to a particular segment and decides it isn't big enough to let it influence their plans. Sometimes the manufacturers have to make bad decisions based on emissions or CAFE laws too.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Why did Honda change the CRV?

It is my understanding that the "going thing" for better fuelmileage is a CVT (constant velocity transmission). Nissan introduced it in 2014 in some models. Downside is it cannot tow nor be towed without major damage.

Nissan had the CVT before 2014. Our 2009 Altima had it as well as all other Altimas on the lot the day we bought it at a large dealership.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

Chevrolet still has many models that tow fine. My wife did not like the 2012 CRV, so we bought a 2012 AWD Chevrolet Equinox to replace our 2002 AWD CRV.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Archived