Straight Talk hotspot?

oediehl

I'm seriously considering trying a smart phone and a quarterly Straight Talk plan. I'm new to this and NOT a big phone user; the $200 I've paid into my prepaid cell over 2+ years still has something like $170 left ;-)

But once we start traveling more seriously I expect to use the phone more, and I would also like to be able to use cellular for internet connectivity, either on the road or in a campground with no useful wifi. From my readings on this forum and elsewhere I've mostly given up my fantasy of streaming video over cellular or campground wifi; I'll just bring my DVR along and record cable or broadcast TV where it's available. And bring along a bunch of DVDs...

I'll keep my prepaid (AT&T) phone and likely get a smartphone that hooks up with Verizon for the missus. I've had a couple ideas; not sure how viable either of them are. The first would be to get a smartphone that is capable of acting as a hotspot. Is that workable in the world of Straight Talk? Could the missus use the phone/hotspot while traveling (assuming Verizon had coverage in the area), and connect her laptop to it? The second idea is to get just a cellular hotspot device (that will hook up to Verizon), and buy a non-plan smartphone that can use wifi, But maybe the latter plan is not workable, since if the wifi-smartphone isn't on some type of cellular plan, not even prepaid, perhaps I would not even have a phone number? I don't suppose Straight Talk would allow a phone and a hotspot device to share the same prepaid account?

rig4.jpg

I wouldn't consider any hotspot from ST after the crappy nonexistant service I am getting for the faulty Z289 I purchased recently.

Roy

2011 GMC 3500 SRW CC, SB, Duramax/Allison
2008 HitchHiker LS 29.5 FKTG, 7000lb axles, Glide Ride, HD brakes, dual pane windows, 40" Panasonic, Magnadyne HTS, PD surge protector, etc.
Mods: 5 gal pressure tank, Motosat dish, plumbing reworked, inside steps storage, SeeLevel tank gauges, Rear view camera, major changes to basement.

Straight Talk does not permit any form of tethering, which includes hotspot apps, with their phones. It's clearly spelled out in their terms of service.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

ST makes a prepaid mifi but it's 3G, you will have to check what they charge for service. Verizon also sells a prepaid mifi that is 4G again you will have to check what they charge. We use a old Verizon dumb phone, Verizon mifi and a pay as you go Tracphone smart phone with triple minutes. We have no land lines at our homebase (we don't spend that much time there) so our cellular is used year around. I'm looking at replacing our dumb phone with a smart phone if they will let us share our mifi data.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

Straight talk on Verizon service is same as Verizon phone. Just 3g and not 4g. We used them for years. Great service. Did not try the mifi unit since we lost Millenicom we just went with ATT and used the phones for hotspot. If not for Millenicom departure we would still be with Straight talk. ATT offers double data and roll over now. We get 30 gig for price of 15 gig and what we don't use carry over to next month. We also get 4g for only about $25.00 more than we were paying before. We are finding service so far is great also.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I have a Straight Talk Hot Spot, ATT 4G version. In Phoenix it didn't work well but I looked up where the antennae was and it was far away. I am now in Deming,NM and it works great. No complaints at all. All these hot spots are spotty on how and where they will work. For reasons I don't know they don't work as well as the phones. I do not do streaming, just seaches, email and the basic stuff.

You may need to check out all the Verizon stuff. While maybe not the cheapest we have 2 iPhone and a jetpack(Mifi). We share 10g data across all 3 devices. I do not permit any auto up dates on anything including the laptop and Nexus. We do not stream video etc. Our jetpack has an antenna port. With a connector from Wilson I can connect our small car antenna or our Wilson trucker antenna. In 8 years we have service 99.9% of the time all over USA and we volunteer at sometimes remote NWRs

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

Yeah, I may need to reconsider Verizon. Also---good reminder to turn off auto-updates, I'm sure that could eat up a LOT of bandwidth. I think the best deal can be had from Mobile-T, except for the fact that the coverage would likely be a serious issue

rig4.jpg

You may need to check out all the Verizon stuff. While maybe not the cheapest we have 2 iPhone and a jetpack(Mifi). We share 10g data across all 3 devices. I do not permit any auto up dates on anything including the laptop and Nexus. We do not stream video etc. Our jetpack has an antenna port. With a connector from Wilson I can connect our small car antenna or our Wilson trucker antenna. In 8 years we have service 99.9% of the time all over USA and we volunteer at sometimes remote NWRs

I like your setup, as something that that would be realistic for me. I am looking to dump Verizon, and thinking of going to Straight Talk because it is unlimited and only $45. Could you clarify which carrier you are using to get the 99.9% service?

Thanks.

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

I like your setup, as something that that would be realistic for me. I am looking to dump Verizon, and thinking of going to Straight Talk because it is unlimited and only $45. Could you clarify which carrier you are using to get the 99.9% service?

Thanks.

If you're thinking of a Straight Talk phone for tethered/hotspot unlimited data, be aware that their terms of service prohibit it. Even using data just on the phone, it will be throttled to near dial-up speeds after just a few GB. Tracfone was just hit with a large fine for not making that clear in their "unlimited" ads.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Archived