Replacement of Slide mechanism

TJones

The large slide mechanism on our Travel Supreme is worn out and needs replacement. I would like to know if anyone has replaced the entire mechanism. I just received this diagnosis and need to learn what I can to assist in decision making.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jones the Beagle

2001 Int'l 4700LP

2005 Travel Supreme 40RLTS

2006 Honda CRV

I agree with Mark - "worn out" is too generic a statement. You need to be specifc about what is wrong....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

What I am referring to is the slide rams holes are worn to the point they almost do not exist, very oblong. The carriers with a shaft passing through have become oblong, and the wheels under the inside edge of the inside of the slide. The mechanism is worn out at all of the moving parts and gears.

I would like to know if anyone has had to replace their slide mechanism.]

The slide is electric and 15 feet long. Very heavy

Jones the Beagle

2001 Int'l 4700LP

2005 Travel Supreme 40RLTS

2006 Honda CRV

I've replaced various parts of several different slide types. It is generally not hard to do, but does require supporting the slide (depending on what you are fixing). Sorry tht is not specific help....read it as "encouragement". :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

The reason I refuse to own a rig with a slide. I am no longer physically able to do that kind of repair and do not trust the service people to do the job properly at a fair price.

U.S. Navy GSMC(SW) (RETIRED) 1993-11-01, 26 years service with 23 years of that active and 3 years reserve.  Now retired after 20 years at local hospital in the maintenance department.

1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' DP W/6Spd Allison.  Road Master Sterling All terrain, Air Force One, towing new 2019 Jeep Cherokee Elite

One could possibly remove the roller tube flip it over and drill new holes. Then cut the mounting parts off the end and reverse there position and reassemble. And then redo the shaft mechanism. I have seen the holes at the edge of that style be as you say. It mite be possible to drill out the a few holes on the end of the tube and weld in some thick washers to repair the holes. I have seen washers at farm/industrial supply places that maybe up 1/4" thick. Or fabricate a foot or so long replacement section and install it where the holes are worn out.

I have built several roller assemblies and installed them on different types of RVs.

Just some different thoughts.

Safe travels, Vern

As Wrknrvr, say, disconnect the tubes (cut the welds) and flip the rectangular tubes over and drill new holes. Or just get new steel rectangular tube.

The gear carriers are available from the original manufacturer. Had to replace one a couple of years. The fresh water tank need to come out for access to the gear carriers.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Archived