Do I need to take a RV Driving Class

grapefrog

Dick Reed, the guy that started the driving school made a good selling point, my school is cheaper than most any dent repair.

Both of you take the course and both stay in practice driving. Nothing worse than getting an injury on the road than getting one and not having someone that can drive the rig.

Stan,

I agree. Now, the task is to find someone in the Houston area during the last week of April to get lessons from.

Phil

Grapefrog , what kind of RV did you purchase? If we know that we might be able to answer some of your questions more accurately.

Looking at her profile, she has only been back to see what responses she got one time and that the day following her original post.

I agree. Now, the task is to find someone in the Houston area during the last week of April to get lessons from.

As important as proper learning is, it seems that you are going to have the RV with little opportunity to get the class before that time so I'll offer a few thoughts that may be helpful. The first thing to keep in mind is that pretty much anyone can successfully drive one of the modern motorhomes so long as they take time to learn and use due care in the process. The actual driving is really not much more difficult that it is to drive a car today but the distances will be much different. The first thing is to take your time. Do not get into a hurry under any circumstances. Believe that you can do this and keep a combination of confidence balanced with caution. Plan your driving days to be short and do not travel when tired. If you are driving and start to feel anxious, find a safe place to get off of the road and take a break. Being tired and anxious can impact your judgement as well as reactions. This is intended to be fun so if it starts to become work, it is time to stop. Because you now have your home with you there is no reason to push on farther down the road until you are ready to do so.

Unless you have an instructor who plans to be there when you take possession, you will still have those first hours of driving to get through and that will be on your own. Time is your friend. If you have doubts, get out and look. Never hesitate to stop and walk around the RV just to get a prospective of exactly where things are in relationship to the RV. Confidence will come so give yourself time and remember that you have far more ability to correct if you are moving slowly. Even the interstate highways are legal to travel as low as 45 mph so drive a speed which you find comfortable.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Kirk,

I can always count on you for your sound advise. I think you pretty well understand my predicament. It looks like I will have to wing it as much as I'd prefer not too.

We will take our time coming north and keep the days and driving times short. I'm sure my DW will have white knuckles initially but god willing, we will be okay.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and input.

I'll try to post again when we take delivery.

Phil And Micky

How do I do that before I buy my motor home?

Actually, it really is getting to be quite common for people to do just that, but isn't practical for you at this time. I know that there were at least two of those at Escapade's Boot Camp who were staying in a motel to attend before buying an RV.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived