Lower pin box

mobilcastle

I need to raise my 5th wheel nose. If I lower my Mor/Ryde pin box I will loose one bolt. I will then have 4 bolts per side instead of 5. Original pin box was 1621HD. My Heartland weighs GVW is 16K. Anyone else done this? Or bad idea. I cannot raise my hitch( companion) up any further-it is in top setting. Thanks for any input.

Are you low in front or not enough bed clearance? I would call Heartland and ask them. It will lower the towing amount but it may be within specs. Some pin boxes have this info on them.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Thanks for the answers. Bed clearance is good. Heartland said call Lippert. Lippert said to use all 5 bolts on each side. I am going to look for a Lippert 1621HD pin box that originally came with the 5th wheel. Lippert said it is adjustable. If any one on this forum has one send me a PM. I am in FL now.

Thanks

Steve

If you have the the pin box with the sliding plate then you have to have all 6 bolts according to Mor/Ryde when they installed mine.

My rig is a 2010 Heartland Bighhorn and no plates were there when I bought it. It was the original pin box from the factory. I will look into that.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a 2015 Cyclone and it came with a Lippert 1621HD pinbox. I have the opposite problem. My fifth wheel sits a little high in the front. I dropped my Companion hitch to its lowest setting, and dropped an inch. I called Lippert and asked about the 1621HD pinbox being adjustable, and they told me I could adjust it as long as I use all 5 bolts on each side. I loosened all of the bolts, used the hitch to press up on the pin, and then re-tightened them. It moved an inch at the most. I would not classify the 1621HD as "adjustable", as I'd like to move 1 more inch, but I'm out of options.

You can gain quite a bit of height by flipping you axles ( placing the axles beneath the springs instead of above the springs) . Lots of people who boondock do this to gain ground clearance.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

I've heard about putting the trailer axles below the springs, but I only need about an 1", and flipping the axles seems like overkill. Also, if I raise the trailer that much, and am able to raise the hitch enough to get it level, will the extra height above the ground create issues with hydraulic stroke distance for the auto leveling system?

I just bought a 2015 Cyclone and it came with a Lippert 1621HD pinbox. I have the opposite problem. My fifth wheel sits a little high in the front. I dropped my Companion hitch to its lowest setting, and dropped an inch. I called Lippert and asked about the 1621HD pinbox being adjustable, and they told me I could adjust it as long as I use all 5 bolts on each side. I loosened all of the bolts, used the hitch to press up on the pin, and then re-tightened them. It moved an inch at the most. I would not classify the 1621HD as "adjustable", as I'd like to move 1 more inch, but I'm out of options.

How high is the nose at this point. A little high should not be a problem. I ran my last rig with the nose slightly high and it pulled well. Good luck.

How high is the nose at this point. A little high should not be a problem. I ran my last rig with the nose slightly high and it pulled well. Good luck.

The front of the fifth wheel is 26" from skirt to ground, and the back is 24" from skirt to ground. I'd like to get it level, but I think the 2" difference (which is really lowering the front 1")is minor, and I think I'm OK if I don't.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived