Female veteran shamed for parking in veterans-only spot

RV_

Excerpt:

"WILMINGTON, N.C. -
An Air Force veteran who served in Kuwait found a note on her car Friday criticizing her for parking in a veterans-only parking spot in Wilmington.

Mary Claire Caine told WECT-TV that she returned to her car from shopping at Harris Teeter to find a note plastered to her front window from a person identifying themselves as a "Wounded Vet."

It read, "Maybe [you] can't read the sign you parked in front of ... This space is reserved for those who fought for America ... not you. Thanks, Wounded Vet."

Caine, who served in Kuwait and on the flight line of the F-117 Nighthawk, said her heart sank.

"The first thing I felt was confusion that there was a mistake, and that I had to talk to this person and ask them why they were so quick to assume I wasn't a veteran and that I was taking privileges that didn't belong to me," Caine said.

Caine said she got angry at herself when the note left her wondering, "Am I a worthy enough veteran to park in this spot?" So she waited by her car in hopes the "Wounded Vet" would return and she could ask why they felt the need to leave the note.

She said no one returned."

The rest of the text article, and several videos with her that can be clicked are here: http://www.wncn.com/story/27885839/female-veteran-shamed-for-parking-in-veterans-only-spot

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Kind of like some of Vietnam vets felt when we came home! Sorry to hear about Ms. Caine's encounter. The vast majority of us vets DO recognize our female comrades!

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

ronbo I do not know your intent but to me your post came across wrong. We don't have enough information to make a true judgement. Thats a lot like telling someone who has lost a loved one just get on with it. Everyone does at their own time if at all.

Human nature makes a lot of us jump to conclussions without facts. How do we know if it really was a wounded vet that left the note? Again not enough facts. I have a handicap placard that I used to need a lot. Now I only use it on rare occaisions when I am doing really bad. You can not tell about my issues by looking at me. I once had a blast from some jackass that jumped to a conclusion when I did use it in a handicap spot tryin to just get into the pharmacy. I must have looked bad because people kept coming up to me asking me if I was alright. Fortunately for me I got better eventually.

Embarrassing as it is I was once a jackass in my judgement of some using handicap spots although I didn't confront them. I am sure there are a lot of cheaters but you can't always tell the real ones from the fakes.

Well said Jim. You can't tell with me unless you watch closely getting out and the first few steps until I shake it off. Mine are permanent on my plates.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

ronbo I do not know your intent but to me your post came across wrong. We don't have enough information to make a true judgement. Thats a lot like telling someone who has lost a loved one just get on with it. Everyone does at their own time if at all.

Human nature makes a lot of us jump to conclussions without facts. How do we know if it really was a wounded vet that left the note? Again not enough facts. I have a handicap placard that I used to need a lot. Now I only use it on rare occaisions when I am doing really bad. You can not tell about my issues by looking at me. I once had a blast from some jackass that jumped to a conclusion when I did use it in a handicap spot tryin to just get into the pharmacy. I must have looked bad because people kept coming up to me asking me if I was alright. Fortunately for me I got better eventually.

Embarrassing as it is I was once a jackass in my judgement of some using handicap spots although I didn't confront them. I am sure there are a lot of cheaters but you can't always tell the real ones from the fakes.

Thank you bigjim.

I recently turned 60 and am retired DoD and military veteran. I would not have taken that parking space because I am able to walk from the outer parking lot. I would have inferred that the veteran parking spot should be saved for a combat wounded and currently handicapped veteran.

But the "wounded veteran" who left the note is a wanker.

I too am a veteran. I am also on disability with a placard. The article says nothing about the spot being for disabled, only for veterans. If the person only left a note and did not stick around they are a coward. I think she is making way too big a deal about this. She needs to go on about her business and not take it so personal. It wasn't a personal attack. They just wanted a real one out of her. Why give them what they want. Life is too short.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Always two sides to everything. I in my area have never seen a space for a "veteran". If she feels so proud of her service, there's plenty of decals she could apply to her back window or bumper to say so.

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

There are enough veterans out there that feel if one did not serve in a war zone, in combat, they are not a true or full veteran and do not deserve some "benefits".

Some of those also feel that if you did not serve 20 or were medically retired, you do not deserve the veteran title.

I can understand her frustration.

Jim & Vickie
'07 F150
'10 Chalet XL1935
Chimacum, Wa

Evergreen Coho SKP Park Website:

http://www.evergreencohoskprvpark.com/

Evergreen Coho SKP on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Evergreen-Coho-SKP-RV-Park/563601217103332

No need to apply decals. She is a veteran and entitled to use the space. I say use it. I just think it is a waste of time to go all emotional and wonder if I am worthy of using it.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

I did not mean to sound like ronbo meant any harm and he has pointed out the fact that it just said Veteran which is something I have not seen either. I may feel somewhat the same as him about moving on but reallistically not everyone can, just move on, and that is the part that sounded wrong. And from what I understand that can be one of the worst things you can tell some people who are in mental distress or grieving. I am 67 and have adapted pretty well but I have some issues going way back that I have not gotten over. I have just adapted. Even with my handicap placard, I have a hard time making myself use it when I need it as I know there are some that need the spot more than me. Just based on what I know from what is availabe I probably would not have taken the spot even though I would be entitled but thats just me. I usually park at the outer edges of the parking lots as I hate the traffic and tight spots. Of course if I park at the far end with 50 spaces clearance, when I come out someone will have parked right next to me so close I can hardly open the door. Mr. Murphy and his law again I guess.

nm

Stephen & Karen and our six boys, ages 21, 21, 19, 17, 14, & 11
Stephen - Military retiree (as of summer 2012) & current DOI employee (Big Bend National Park)
Karen - Homeschooling stay-at-home mom & veteran
San Antonio, Texas

Fulltimed May 2013 - July 2014 (yes, all eight of us!)
Open Range "Rolling Thunder" (H396RGR - fifth wheel toy hauler bunkhouse) - SOLD
Ford F-350 diesel dually - for the camper
Ford E-350 fifteen passenger van - for the crew

Our unfinished travel blog: http://coach-and-six.blogspot.com/

If it means "I deleted my post" it would be better to just say "deleted" then the weekend mods have permission to tuck it out of sight. Silly forum won't let users delete unwanted posts, either on content or duplicates.

I looked at this topic and deleted my post, thankfully before I hit the post button.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

It's internet shorthand for "Nevermind". In other words, I had second thoughts, so I deleted what I had written.

Stephen & Karen and our six boys, ages 21, 21, 19, 17, 14, & 11
Stephen - Military retiree (as of summer 2012) & current DOI employee (Big Bend National Park)
Karen - Homeschooling stay-at-home mom & veteran
San Antonio, Texas

Fulltimed May 2013 - July 2014 (yes, all eight of us!)
Open Range "Rolling Thunder" (H396RGR - fifth wheel toy hauler bunkhouse) - SOLD
Ford F-350 diesel dually - for the camper
Ford E-350 fifteen passenger van - for the crew

Our unfinished travel blog: http://coach-and-six.blogspot.com/

I'm a 20 year HUMBLE Navy Vet and would personally not park in a space with that sign. Not because I'm not proud, on the contrary I'm very proud of my service and I like my retirement check. If I saw a space like that and saw the person park there I would probably go up and shake their hand and thank them for their service. I think that is great that an establishment would have "VET" parking spaces. As humble as I feel I would never ever let anyone make me feel bad about being a VET. Period.

James

2024 GMC 3500HD DRW Denali Diesel

2019 Keystone Avalanche 396BH

USN Retired

Amen James,

That I can agree with.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

To me it is great that a business appreciates our vets. I have HC plates on my auto and some times I use a HC spot and some time I don't depends upon how the old body feels that day. I am 100% SC. This sign for the vets is likely be misused just like the business that have a parking space for expectant mothers. I saw a young lady park in one of those spots yesterday and she sure didn't look like an expectant mother, but how can you tell, just like a vet, how can you tell.

There are so many vets out there that I see it as problem to a certain degree and might be better if it said diabled vet or something. Just my observation altough I appreciate the sentiment. I wonder about the exact wording. If it just says VET it might be for a Veteranairian. :o;)

Went back and looked at the news link and turns our I was all wet about the sign but I still think I was funny about the veteranarian.

A person/can be shamed only if they ALLOW to be shamed.

I am thankful for her service, but think she needs some help, if she doubts her "worth" just because of a note written by a arrogant, know it all.

Camping Rig:

2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins

2006 Outback 27 RSDS

Two rescue dogs: A Catahoula mix & a Chihuahua mix.

Fulltimer since 2006

I think this particular theme needs to be closed, as there were to many judgements made by men on this forum about the woman's character who started this theme. She stated a logical complaint, and was supported by many, but unfortunately was attacked by some who obviously seemed of the type who left the note.

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

Amen James,

That I can agree with.

X2

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

RIP Snoopy we lost you 5-11-14 but you'll always travel with us
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

HoD vay' wej qoH SoH je nep! ngebmo' vIt neH 'ach SoHbe' loD Hem, wa' ngebmo'. nuqneH...

I think this particular theme needs to be closed, as there were to many judgements made by men on this forum about the woman's character who started this theme. She stated a logical complaint, and was supported by many, but unfortunately was attacked by some who obviously seemed of the type who left the note.

Uhhh - This thread was started by RV who, I don't believe, is of the female persuasion.

Amazing that some want a thread closed when they don't agree with the views of some posters.

Military females still have to fight for respect... Ridiculous. Any and all Vets deserve respect esp from other Vets!! We know nothing about her is she suffering from PTSD? Does she have other experiences that impact her? What if she's been criticized and is now almost ashamed for her service?

How in !@#%%$ hell do we know?

It's a shame that some vets here think it's more important to strut and boast of their prowess rather than even try to understand..

It's a shame.... I'd be disgusted with myself were I one of you.

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

HoD vay' wej qoH SoH je nep! ngebmo' vIt neH 'ach SoHbe' loD Hem, wa' ngebmo'. nuqneH...

Uhhh - This thread was started by RV who, I don't believe, is of the female persuasion.

Amazing that some want a thread closed when they don't agree with the views of some posters.

Uhhh, no, he isn't.

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

Archived