huge number of "spam," if that is what you call it --

Not to me it hasn't. I don't follow threads.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

There is nothing you can do to stop the notification mails you have requested except cancel the request. You can check that setting here:

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=followed

------

from another topic:

It looks like there were several spam posters that loaded us up with between 20 and 50 spams each. I sent Travis an e-mail asking him to consult with James (the forum guru) to see if there is anything that can be done.

All are now blocked from posting and their spew hidden. If more show up report them, well at least one per spammer and add a note to the report that there are a large number of spams from them. We should see that when blocking the user but it is just one number in a list of others and we can miss it if we are sloppy.

Instead of using the follow option you can use the "new content" option to see all the new posts but without the possibility of getting mail-bombed with spam. Save the follow option for posts that are critical to you and you want to see the instant a reply is posted.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

26 Spams so far. It must be real easy to sign up for a account here.

Must need a software change for sign up.

Or let the weekend mods do it 24/7

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

26 Spams so far. It must be real easy to sign up for a account here. Must need a software change for sign up. Or let the weekend mods do it 24/7

As mentioned in the magazine and repeated on the forums, a complete new site & system are in process of being organized at this time.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Hopefully the new S/W will be much more difficult on these spammers, most of which are from Russia or the Far East. This is NOT just a problem here. Many other forums have been under attack at various times.

I'm with RV. I DO NOT follow any threads, so I do not get spam email from the various spammers that love to frequent our forum. I just run through all the threads and if I see a thread that I posted to has more posts I will go read the additional posts.

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

I've never gotten a single spam from here except for an unsolicited religious tract from a user here once a few years back. I've used view new content too, but rarely. I open forums and scan the threads in about three minutes for all the ones I might be interested in. I'm glad I finally know what the deal was, and apparently is, with all the folks complaining about spam here. I thought they were nuts! Now I know finally what was up. I would think if it was and is that much of a problem that folks would be warned not to follow threads or they would eventually get spammed or the "follow thread" option would be removed. I get enough subscribed email without any more self inflicted email, let alone if it is a portal for spammers.

BTW, I never made a conscious decision about not following any threads I just found that a bother later. I stop by on my whim, I already was on call 24/7 for the last 20 years of my 27 year military career. I even leave my cell phone in the car when shopping or in any appointment. I'm not "important" anymore and do not need to respond in any manner others consider timely. I have a wonderful Significant Harassment of 43 years this year who knows I wear the pants in this family! ( Umm, well, she IS in charge of the belt that holds them up! ;) )

Just stop following threads if that is all it takes.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I do the same as RV.

I noticed the spam posts (which have a phone number in them... that should be interesting from an international law basis) when I checked the forum last night and reported two of them with the note "massive spam".

I changed from the "captcha" model of allowing registrations to a trick question which worked for a long time until some wily spammer figured out the trick question and programmed it into his bots. Then I had to change the question.

Some forums have a review process where every prospective registrant is reviewed. Even that is not foolproof (plus it's a major PITA). Just part of modern life.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

Hello all,

I've not visited the forum in a long time. I just got done cleaning about 150 spam emails from my inbox.(non SKP address where SKP is forwarded)

I have had non spam that I can tell is valid members (which I read) from my in box. Obvious is the spam by how it is written. I decided to see what was mentioned about the spam before I started a new topic. I didn't have to look far and have learned look before starting a new one ! Thanks

Have a great day. Bill D.

06 GMC 2500HD extended cab, long bed, Duramax.
07 HR Alumascape Suite 5er
Doberman, Jazz, RIP

new K9 Rufus (Roof)
SemperFi

I, too, do not receive any spam from these forums in my email inbox. But I also don't "follow" any posts. I can understand how you'd get spam emails from these forums if you "follow" a topic and a spammer hits that topic. But the spams we've been getting lately are done via brand new topics, not as add-on's to an existing topic, so no one should be getting spam emails from them...unless there's some way that I'm not aware of, to "follow" the entire Discussion Forum.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

The follow thread is an important tool for some folks and some posts, no reason to deprive them of the tool just because it is far from perfect.

Linda, there is an option to subscribe to a sub-forum, if you open the sub-forum link from the main page you'll see it upper right. Need I say that is a bad idea for most forums, maybe for RVs or Lots for sale where you'd want to jump on something ahead of the crowd.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Escapees just changed some forum settings....so hopefully that will help.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Linda, there is an option to subscribe to a sub-forum, if you open the sub-forum link from the main page you'll see it upper right. Need I say that is a bad idea for most forums, maybe for RVs or Lots for sale where you'd want to jump on something ahead of the crowd.

Ahhh...I learned something today! I wouldn't ever use it, but it's good to know about in case the question ever comes up here. Thanks for the information, Stanley!

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Archived