Moab, UT

bmzero

I spent some time in Moab this week on a business trip. That was my first time there, but a place that I definitely want to take the family this summer.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for hookup spots in Moab? We'll be in a 5er and a HDT.

Here's a photo from my "business" trip.

16336706892_cc999c6248_b.jpg

Moab has several very nice RV parks, it depends on what you're looking for. When I go for ATV riding, I stay at Arch View for its convenience to the trails. It's not the nicest park, some of its sites are very close quarters & it can get very dusty. But if your primary activity is riding the nearby trails, its great. If I was taking a family and looking for a place with the facilities & amenities to keep the family entertained, I'd stay at Portal RV.

Be aware, in the middle of summer Moab can get Very Hot. the prime seasons are spring & fall.

My wife is a teacher, so our trip from Alabama to the West Coast and back, will not start until she's out for Summer vacation. So, unfortunately, we will be hitting the ride spots during the heat. It's that or nothing, so we're just going to endure it the best we can. I also plan on hitting Glamis, which is crazy hot during the Summer. Moab should be a little cooler than Glamis during the Summer, right?

Yes

I would strongly recommend against Glamis in summer. That would be beyond brutal. I'm sure you know the season for Glamis is now.

Normally, I would agree with you, but this will be the only chance my family gets to see Glamis. I have ridden there several times in the past during the Summer. I agree, it's very hot, but once you get moving it's not unbearable. For what it's worth, that place is also empty during the Summer. :D

If you want to ride amazing dunes in summer with your family, the place to be is St Anthony dunes in Idaho. I would bet it's even a shorter drive from Moab. And once you are there, a side trip to Yellowstone is spitting distance away.

That sounds like a great idea. I'll let my professional trip director (wife) get her wheels spinning on that. I appreciate the suggestion.

Moab isn't too bad in the summer. http://www.wunderground.com has a monthly history calendar. If you select Moab and scroll down a bit you will find the history section. Scroll back to the Jun, Jul & Aug and look at the high and lot temps. Generally in the upper 80's to the mid to upper 90's. It cools down to the 60's at night. Also it is a dry heat. Temps up to the low 80's are very comfortable unless you are in the sun w/o any wind.

Be aware that in Jul & Aug the afternoon thunder showers pop up. You could be exposed to lightning and heavy down pours. So plan on riding early in the day and rest in the afternoon.

Two other parks you might want to check out not too far from Moab are Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park, Utah and Sand Hollow State Park, Utah. Both will give you beautiful riding experiences.

A photo from my trip to Coral Pink Sand Dunes:

15756626053_51a1e0707f_b.jpg

I agree. That place is great. It was almost empty the last time we went, too.

I'll put them both on the list.

Thanks, Al. We should be able to have a good time with those temperatures at Moab. I'm sure we'll use that link for other places as well for trip planning.

what was the story there? Dune sand deep and steep?

Yes, the dunes there can be extremely steep and deep. I used to have a Dodge Ramcharger (back in the 1970s) and worked in Mexicali (at a maquilladora) and would drive the dunes in that. I shudder at the thought now but I was pretty cautious.

WDR

We were alone and entering the dunes . Went up a few and stopped at the crest and sure enough...straight down on the other side. After a few of those my wife got scared and I said yup I agree...this is a recipe for disaster and left. And I am a hard core ATVer been riding mountains trails for over 2 decades and I lead groups to places that scare the crap out of some of the inexperienced riders...I know what I'm doing.

They say that people get hurt and sometimes killed in those dunes every year....I can see why.

We were alone and entering the dunes . Went up a few and stopped at the crest and sure enough...straight down on the other side. After a few of those my wife got scared and I said yup I agree...this is a recipe for disaster and left. And I am a hard core ATVer been riding mountains trails for over 2 decades and I lead groups to places that scare the crap out of some of the inexperienced riders...I know what I'm doing.

They say that people get hurt and sometimes killed in those dunes every year....I can see why.

I like to drive the sand dunes here (Moses Lake, WA) but even they can get scary after a big windstorm. I much prefer exploring new trails, finding abandoned and derelict mines and ranches. But a buttery-smooth day alone on sand is pretty cool. I just don't want to get down in one I can't drive the Jeep out of.

And there is no shortage of abandoned mines in the AZ desert. :)

WDR

Archived