Microsoft to make Windows 10 free to Windows 7, 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 users

RV_

I have seen lots of previews and screen shots. I was worried that they were going to ignore touch tablet users and/or Windows phone 8.1. Some of the ideas to go all the back were just plain wrong as Windows 8/8.1 tablet owners will attest. However, it will have two things going for it. It will be almost the same but updated as Windows 7 if connected in desktop or laptop mode. Then it has a tablet mode to make it more App oriented. THe other thing going for it? It is free to Windows 7 and up owners. Those who st4ruggled with 8 are going to love it!

Excerpt:

"The rumors were right: Microsoft is going to make Windows 10 available for free to users running Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 on their devices.

But there's a catch, at least so far: The Windows 10 update will be available for free for one year from the date that Windows 10 is commercially available. Windows 10 is likely to be commercially available as of fall 2015, according to previous comments from Microsoft execs.

Microsoft Operating System Group chief Terry Myerson announced this piece of its pricing strategy on January 21 as part of its Windows 10 consumer preview event in Redmond, Wash.

Microsoft didn't take the wraps off its entire pricing strategy for Windows 10 during the morning keynote. The first-year upgrade piece was the only component revealed (so far).

Myerson also emphasized Microsoft will be treating Windows as a service, moving forward. What that means is Microsoft will continue to update Windows 10 on all of the device types on which it runs for the life of the devices. Version numbers of Windows won't matter any more, Myerson claimed.

Key to Microsoft's pitch: Getting more users on a common Windows release across all types of devices will give developers a more unified platform for which to build their apps. Microsoft itself is building some new Windows 10 specific applications, too.

During the morning Windows 10 keynote, Microsoft officials demonstrated new "Universal" applications that Microsoft is building and plans to include as a built-in part of Windows 10 on phones, tablets and PCs. (Universal applications are programs developers can build using a substantial amount of common code and a common Windows runtime across platforms.)"

More here in the article including the new browser mentions: http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-to-make-windows-10-free-to-windows-7-8-1-and-windows-phone-8-1-users/?tag=nl.e541&s_cid=e541&ttag=e541&ftag=TRE7ce1dc9

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

That is great news for those of us who have beta tested Win 10. I have Win 10 loaded on a Flash Drive, but have not yet figured out how to change my UEFI/Bios to allow a boot to the Flash Drive. I have cleared a 50 GB space on my HD to dual boot Win 10 Tech Pre. Now to figure out how to do it. Biggest problem is to find the time to figure it out.

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

I think it is great news for all Windows users whether Desktop, laptop, tablet, or phone! I love Cortana and can't wait to have her doing my reminders and to do lists at home and syncing with my phone and vice versa!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

So in case some here are the never click on link types here is the rub. MS 10 will only be available free for one year after commercial release of the OS. That means that all of us can upgrade free, but not until it is commercially available, which is likely in October when they usually roll out new versions of MS software. Vista Owners are left out, but I find it a big bonus that they are including Windows 7 users in the free upgrade.

Very important and it appears that some may miss the important thing about "Windows as a service." In other words the Windows OS will be Software As A Service/SAAS or WAAS) That means that when you buy a Windows 10 device, ten years from now it will still be supported. This avoids the mess that Android has become with devices like my old expensive Samsung Tab 10's and 7" tabs that were not supported past ICS and we had to wait for ICS for a year longer than promised. To get newer we had to buy a new ex[pensive Tab 2, then 3, and now note if I am getting the products right. I stopped using Android at ICS although my SH's phone on Straight Talk runs Jellybean but since that is a straight talk source phone will never be upgraded.

Windows 10 as I'd hoped will be transparent between most of the MS Apps across the laptops, desktops, tablets, and phones with the same feel and upgrades across the board. So with Windows phones, we won't theoretically have to buy a new phone for new OS features unless they are something like a flash upgrade with a phone that has no flash.

So my Windows 8.1 phone will be upgraded free whenever 10 debuts in stores, along WITH my tablets and desktops. I think my SH will even let me upgrade her desktop to Windows 10 from the seven it is running now. And I will do a factory restore to my backup Windows 7 desktop of mine and do the upgrade. All my systems, older and newer will, for the first time, all be running Windows 10, and no future upgrades needed. I expect to see updates that cost, but if all the Windows 7 folks upgrade to 10, then MS will be left only supporting two versions. 10 and Vista. And Vista is dropped in two years, 2017, then it goes the way of XP, and the DoDo bird.

I can't wait!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Jim,

I agree with Medico. MS totally surprised me with how they've improved not only upgrades, but hardware driver libraries. I bought four licenses for Windows 8 Pro with media center in December 2012 on the special offer. I did a test bed Toshiba for that preview and when I got the license I loaded it as a clean install on it. Then, thinking no way, I did the in place upgrade and it worked flawlessly! On an old machine that was an XP machine,loaded with Windows 7 restore disks and partition, but had a downgrade to XP. I couldn't believe it but it loaded on that and ran fine! Keeping all the old files and software except for a couple that had to be reloaded after.

I'm sure some folks will have self made problem regardless. But if you let it take as much time as it needs, it just works nowadays.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Dave,

When they debuted 8 they had a limited time offer for three months, October 2012 - 31 January 2013. We could buy it for $14.99 like I did, or $39.99 if you hadn't bought ýour system within the six months before 8 was released commercially. If you did not buy, AND activate your discount copy by 31 January it would cost retail.

They don't mean it will be a subscription! They mean that if you are an I hate Windows, MS, or Just Windows 8, and are hanging onto your Windows 7 or Vista come hell or high water, well pass one year and it will cost the same or more as 8/8.1 costs today.

So upgrade free for a year, or pay full retail after one year has passed since commercial release.

I think it gives everyone more than enough time to not try it and judge it, or try it. Like 8, which still has only about a 16% market share, but 75% of online comments are that it is terrible. Then when asked if they upgraded and tried it most ( the loudest haven't ) haven't and won't admit it but it is obvious to those who do run it by their mentions of things not in or doesn't work the way they describe when pressed. See, 75% of comments say they tried it with only around 16% adoption rate does not compute. Playing with it in a store does not count.

So this time watch what happens. Like last time, after the time limit for free has passed when some finally decide to change they will pitch holy fits because the have to "gasp!" pay for a product? They will claim they didn't hear about it, were misled, thought it was forever free. Some very few will admit they made an error in judgment. Most will blame MS and go on their continuing anti MS rants. All the while running Windows computers. Some folks wouldn't be happy if you hung them with a new rope.

Dave, if you're running Windows 7 and have been worried about 8, trust me, you can load Classic Shell and make Windows 8 appear to be 7 and lose all the Apps which are for me one of the pluses of 8, as well as touch for tablets and phones.

But Window 10 makes itself even more like 7. No one who can run 7 would not be able to run Windows 10, if they wanted to. Some won't upgrade anyway and that's up to them.

Here's another quote about 10 being free:

"On the bright side, Windows 10 will be offered as a free upgrade to Windows 7, 8, and 8.1, as well as Windows Phone, during the first year of Windows 10's release. An offer of that scope and magnitude all but guarantees those frustrated with Windows 8 -- and maybe those still running Windows 7 who are worried about being left behind -- will hop on board.

Any users who upgrade after that one-year window, however, will have to pay for the upgrade.

Microsoft emphasized that this shouldn't be misinterpreted: "There is no fundamental shift to our business model that we are telegraphing or announcing today." In other words, user versions of Windows 10 probably won't be provided by default via a pay-as-you-go licensing model, akin to Microsoft's offer for enterprises via Software Assurance."

That whole article is here: http://www.infoworld.com/article/2873374/microsoft-windows/windows-10-upgrades-will-be-free-for-existing-windows-users-at-first.html?phint=newt%3Dinfoworld_tech_microsoft&phint=idg_eid%3D6aa01e18b29f7b6f9149f611f8eac228#tk.IFWNLE_nlt_entwindows_2015-01-21

As far as rolling back, Windows 8 would roll back to your old system if you wished, and it worked fine for me. It will likely be even better to revert back in this version.

That clear it up?

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

It sounds like a good deal, I haven't looked into it in detail yet but I did see some questions about some of the wording in the upgrade deal, about the Windows 10 being available for the lifetime of the device. Nobody had any interpretation of just what that meant or what the lifecycle of 10 will be. Still it sounds like a darned good deal and the features they are listing for 10 makes the upgrade a good option.

I'm hoping at some point they will do a deal for the left-behind XP folks, the more of them that move on to newer software the better off the rest of us will be.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

It may be a good deal Stanley, what with all of the unhappy W 8.1 users, but after observing the MS business model for years I highly doubt that this is something from the goodness of their hearts! :rolleyes: It sounds more like a desperate attempt to recover a growing sector of market share who have gone elsewhere for operating systems. MS isn't well known for charity.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Guest Pensauncola

Windows 7 works. Everything I do on a computer works just fine, no blue screens and no lockups. Is there any reason I'd want to go to Windows 10, just because it's free?

I am glad that Microsoft is doing the right thing providing free upgrades. I am also looking forward to the new preview release that should be available in a few days.

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

Is there any reason I'd want to go to Windows 10, just because it's free?

Yes... the longer you wait for an upgrade, the more likely you will encounter problems due to version-differences in OS software.

Operating system Software is what runs your programs. Windows 7 is operating system software. Operating System code development is evolutionary - For instance, Windows 8 "new features & Function" are based on the code base in Win 7. Windows 10 will be based on the code base in Windows 8. (Windows 9 never released, to my knowledge)

So for you to upgrade two levels, from Win 7 to Win 10, is to run your program code, untested, on an operating system that has changes (Win10) made on top of changes (Win 8). This is generally more risky for running your programs. And if you skip Windows 10... it will become yet even more risky.

I, too, have avoided upgrading my three systems from Windows 7. But unless Windows 10 is a disaster... I am going. :)

Jim

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

Should be an easy upgrade. Win 7 to Win 8, then Win 8.1 was easy. I would assume Win 10 will be as well.

Jim,

I agree with Medico. MS totally surprised me with how they've improved not only upgrades, but hardware driver libraries.

Thanks, guys. This is timely, as over the Holidays I spent some time considering how I am going to get off my 6 year old technology... and a 8 year old Desktop that runs very well, but is rather large for a motorhome! Now, Hardware will be the only cost component.

Jim

2007 Dolphin

Yes, AGAIN Microsoft will screw me. I have W8.0. NOT 8.1. Even MS cannot get the upgrade to 8.1 to work. Without totally starting over with a fresh disc and loading from a DVD. Oh, and they won't "give" me that DVD of 8.1 OR 8.0. So I'm stuck until I buy a new computer. I won't spend another minute of my time working on these issues. I realize my situation is an "anomaly" that is not "worth their time" - as they have made so abundantly clear. But it still means I have a system that is crippled and cannot be updated in any fashion.

I'm just complaining....it would be nice if they would send me a disc with 10.0. But I'm not going to enter into any more interactions with them....it takes HOURS every time for them to "check things" and "try things". Hours of MY time.Totally wasted.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

MS is under "new ownership" with Balmer gone and it's entirely possible that things have changed for the better when it comes to customers.

However 10 is almost certain to be a best seller. The major reason is that business has largely ignored 8.0 and 8.1 and stuck with 7. And 7 is going to be perceived as getting somewhat "long in the tooth" for the Enterprise users; which comprises a very large part of MS's cash flow. The Enterprise is made up of IT professionals who are interested in security, ease of administration (preferably remote), intuitive design (less time on the phone), and security.

My major concern is security and if you can simply upgrade to 10 from 7 and have all that backwards compatibility then it's likely that the malware will have backwards compatibility as well. If you've read anything I've written about the NT kernel you know how I feel about that. So, from a security standpoint, if all your software "just works" that's not a good thing for you (or for the Enterprise which has become even more paranoid than I am) and if it doesn't that might stop some home users (and very small businesses) from upgrading but it would be a "good thing" for the industry.

Nadella is certainly not Balmer (so far). And as a stockholder I am hopeful that 10 will be the new 7.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

OK , so it looks like my Vista test bed will be Vista until end of support ,,,,,then probably get loaded with Ubuntu Studio or offline production only.

Now comes the W7, I wonder how much of my software will be compatible with W10 ?? Looks like only one way to find out ! :rolleyes:

Guess I could just leave it W7 and get another system with W10 ,,things that make you go HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

stay tuned

popeye

Jack,

Honestly, it would be faster to do a fresh start. Jack, this might help, it covers some of the licensing issues and may provide the iso download you need. http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-microsoft-windows-and-office/download-microsoft-windows/download-windows-8-1-retail-and-oem-iso/ I made a DVD of Windows 8 64 and 32 Bit versions, the 32 bit is Pro. I am looking at them now. When downloading it it gave an option (if you did not follow onscreen directions) To make a DVD image or an iso, I forget, slept since then. But if you are going to be in my neck of the woods any time before they release 10, stop by and we can give it a try. Email first though to be sure I still have it.

I bought my Windows 8 licenses directly from MS and never had a problem getting issues resolved in 5 or ten hour marathons. Also bear in mind they might leave you worse off because they are upgrade only, may be tied to each license, may be tied to my account, may only be for upgrade from previous editions like 7 or vista or XP, and may not work for an OEM key. Who is the vendor? it sounds like a vendor issue if the computer came with 8. It could even be a hardware issue if there are drive issues corrupting it. I am sure you examined all those possibilities. If you have a copy of seven downgrade the computer using your license from a windows 7 Pro disk, or try your chassis key. If that works with a destructive install (clean) then you will have at worst a Windows 7 computer you can upgrade to 10 later. My only retail copy of Windows I have left is for 32 bit. I really am getting out of the biz. ( I say this while a new computer for one of my old customers is sloooooowly loading updates for his pawn shop, and am going over to a disabled vet's house to set up his new system correctly. He bought them from a local computer mom and pop that sold him a commercial enterprise high end system with Display ports only, no HDMY and hooked it up to his TV with an RGB cable and voice from his tiny computer desktop built in system speaker. He can't drive so he paid them almost $100.00 to set it up. His buddy asked me to look and the issue was the RGB cable was not screwed in and was half off. That was when I discovered no sound. I told him I'd sell him a set of speakers that would work for five bucks, and set everything up with his monitor once he had his computer desk in place and had the cable company come out and put in a connection for the modem there.

My point? MS isn't the only way to get frustrated. That link above may help to clarify the license and direction to go.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Derek, thanks for the suggestions. I'm aware of the possibilities. But it may be helpful for others in the future.

I'm not willing to spend ONE MORE MINUTE of my time on this fix. As I think you know, I have spent dozens of hours on it. I'm done. I'll wait for the next stable release or buy a new computer (which I need anyway).

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Guest Pensauncola

Yes... the longer you wait for an upgrade, the more likely you will encounter problems due to version-differences in OS software.

Operating system Software is what runs your programs. Windows 7 is operating system software. Operating System code development is evolutionary - For instance, Windows 8 "new features & Function" are based on the code base in Win 7. Windows 10 will be based on the code base in Windows 8. (Windows 9 never released, to my knowledge)

So for you to upgrade two levels, from Win 7 to Win 10, is to run your program code, untested, on an operating system that has changes (Win10) made on top of changes (Win 8). This is generally more risky for running your programs. And if you skip Windows 10... it will become yet even more risky.

I, too, have avoided upgrading my three systems from Windows 7. But unless Windows 10 is a disaster... I am going. :)

Jim

Thanks Jim. I understand operating systems etc. I agree that if I was going to upgrade, this would be the time. I guess a better question is why should I upgrade at all? I don't expect my three year old laptop to outlive Microsoft's support of Win7. Win7 does everything I need it to do. Is Win10 going to do it better or safer? That's a definite unknown.

Popeye,

Beats me which way to go.

It is much harder to infect any main OS today, Windows and OSX included as well as Linux, without fooling the users, or getting inside to plant it by bribing an insider from your target for access or to use a USB drive at work to infect the system. I have had no issues with malware sticking, and I use only Defender on my 8.1 systems and MSE on my two remaining Win 7 systems. All have Malwarebytes professional real time protection on them., as we have seen with Windows 8, are just not up to the challenge of a learning curve on a system they already know, let alone switching to a whole new one and learn all those conventions and names? Unless they have a close family member doping all the grunt work for them. That is how my wife and family including kids get their technical assistance. They call 1-800-Hey-Pops) I can move between Linux and Windows as many can, and I do not like any Linux distro I've tried. The most Windows like to me, the AF LPS version, can be used by anybody. (The deluxe version last updated last month, December 2014) can be had for free here: http://www.spi.dod.mil/lipose.htm It includes Libre Office and Adobe reader for pdf files.

If all one wants to do is surf, email and bank securely, and you use XP, or like Popeye have a version like Vista that will go "toes up" in a few years, you can use that one. I found it a novelty only because I was not interested in leaving Windows. But include it here for any that haven't tried Linux yet. No one today HAS to use Windows. To those who say they hate Windows but keep using it I say switch! (And don't let the door hit you in the Gluteus Maximus on your way out) I've had some folks talk like they expected me or others to beg them to keep Windows. Hey! Need help? I'm willing to try and usually help resolve issues here. Beyond using Windows myself, what another uses is like someone telling me they use a Ford and they don't fail unless their users do something stupid. That works really well with folks that only want folks to not discuss their vulnerabilities in public.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Thanks Jim. I understand operating systems etc. I agree that if I was going to upgrade, this would be the time. I guess a better question is why should I upgrade at all? I don't expect my three year old laptop to outlive Microsoft's support of Win7. Win7 does everything I need it to do. Is Win10 going to do it better or safer? That's a definite unknown.

Pensauncola, I think it might just come down to 'philosophy'... I like to be able to take advantage of new features, yet avoid undue risk. Staying a Version behind is reasonable & prudent for that goal. But beyond that, I feel that I am entering into a more riskier environment by falling further behind... or going leading/bleeding edge.

Do Your systems use the internet for anything? Remember, you may hold your systems at Win 7... but everything else will be continuing on... and the internet is a continuous open door. There is some slight risk of something going incompatible.

Good luck to us!

jim

2007 Dolphin

Well said Jim. You aren't bleeding edge, nor early adopting since you skipped 8 and 8.1. Plus the preview folks are talking about it as we wait for it to debut. I will tell you this. I tried to tell everyone how to make a good Image of their Windows 7 installation then they can buy a second hard drive, install that in the computer, then restore the image to the new drive, and then activate the discounted limited time offer of Windows 8 to that new drive. Then one could, as I did, pull one drive or the other and decide over time which operating system they preferred. But the Windows 8 hardware equipped UEFI can make that harder to do than with Windows 7 hardware not equipped for full UEFI security. Tradeoffs, always tradeoffs. More to the point, everyone with Windows 7 and 8.1 will have a full year to make up their minds after seeing and reading about our experiences here and elsewhere. Not just 90 days like the special introductory offer of Windows 8 from October 2012 to January 31st 2013.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Archived