Little Different Insurance Question

RJ n P

Hi everyone. I have an insurance question about contents, and hopefully someone can help me.

We have Farmers Ins on the cars, the truck and the houses, with a large umbrella policy.

The 5'r has coverage through GMAC.

I just renewed our GMAC policy, and in preparation for full timing in the Spring, I asked her about contents coverage. The insurance girl told me the comprehensive coverage only covers items that are " part of " our rig, and only permanently attached items like the awning and satellite dish.

So, now I am confused as to what insurance covers items like our Honda generators, our $7000 worth of electric bicycles, laptop, ipads, i phones, and the other expensive items we will have with us. Im not into expensive jewelry, so that is not a problem.

With " full timers " insurance, the main reason for that is the liability of someone getting injured at our camp site, and we are covered for that with our umbrella.

So, what type of insurance coverage, and with whom, do you use to cover the misc items? Is that possibly part of the full timers coverage?

Thank you in advance

Moderator... Please move this post if you feel it should be in Graduating To Fulltiming. Thanks

2007 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW

Keystone Everest 5'r

When you own a home, the homeowners insurance covers contents. When you sell the home and go FT, you have to get FTers coverage for both liability and contents.

While you are in motion driving, the vehicle insurance covers you, but once you park, you need FT insurance to replace the homeowners insurance you no longer have.

Just ensure you have a rider including contents as well as the liability coverage. If you do not ask for it, you might not get it in your policy.

In Florida, Blue Sky was the least expensive, although it is not cheap, for our coach.

We have the following:

Policy Level Coverage:

Uninsured/Underinsured $250K/$500K

Full Timer Liability $250K/$500K

Full Timer Medical Payments $10K/$20K

Adjacent Structures $10K (We own a lot with shed and gazebo)

Unit Level Coverage:

Bodily Injury $250K/$500K

Property Damage $100K

Personal Injury Protection

Comprehensive ($1000 deductible) decreasing deductible included

Collision ($1000 deductible) decreasing deductible included

Personal Effects $10K

Emergency Expense $750

Decreasing deductible in 2 years, decreases to zero without any claims after 2 years.

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

When you own a home, the homeowners insurance covers contents. When you sell the home and go FT, you have to get FTers coverage for both liability and contents.

While you are in motion driving, the vehicle insurance covers you, but once you park, you need FT insurance to replace the homeowners insurance you no longer have.

Just ensure you have a rider including contents as well as the liability coverage. If you do not ask for it, you might not get it in your policy.

In Florida, Blue Sky was the least expensive, although it is not cheap, for our coach.

We have the following:

Policy Level Coverage:

Uninsured/Underinsured $250K/$500K

Full Timer Liability $250K/$500K

Full Timer Medical Payments $10K/$20K

Adjacent Structures $10K (We own a lot with shed and gazebo)

Unit Level Coverage:

Bodily Injury $250K/$500K

Property Damage $100K

Persona; Injury Protection

Comprehensive

Hi. Yes, thank you. We are only selling our primary residence, and since we will still own other homes with renters in them, we will be keeping the umbrella to cover all the houses, the rv, and the truck. My concern is for content coverage only.

Progressive is much more expensive than GMAC for us. Because of some govt mandate, they charge us higher insurance since we have never financed an automobile or rv. They say we are a " higher risk " because we don't finance. Go figure, but I will check on the riders for both Company suggestions.

Keystone Everest 5'r

We have Progressive on both the pickup and the 5er. When the truck had the windows smashed and the GPS stolen the 5er's not the truck's insurance covered it. I thought that was odd but that's how it worked out.

Later,S

J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

When we were fulltimers we had our insurance through Progressive. they actually understand the need for a different type coverage other than what you get on an automobile/trailer policy and you end up with something closer to homeowner insurance. That way you can insure contents as well as liability if someone slips at your entry and hurts themselves.

SKP #44855
2013 Winnebago Vista 27N

2012 Jeep Liberty 4x4

The GMAC I had through Good Sam is now National General.

Both have had a "Personal Effects" of $4,000 that came with the policy and you could add more of however much you wanted to buy.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Progressive is much more expensive than GMAC for us. Because of some govt mandate, they charge us higher insurance since we have never financed an automobile or rv. They say we are a " higher risk " because we don't finance. Go figure, but I will check on the riders for both Company suggestions.

I find the "government mandate" statement very difficult to believe. If that were true, why would it not apply to all insurance underwriters? My suggestion is that you get quotes from and discuss your needs with several of these insurance agencies which have good reputations in the RV community......... I think the problem has been with sales people rather than coverages.

Miller Insurance Agency

Explorere Insurance

RV Advantage Ins.

PoliSeek Insurance

Foremost Insurance

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Kirk and others: Years ago in Texas my son came home from the Army to go to college. He was overseas I beleive 3years give or take a month or two. He still had his orginal and valid Texas drivers license. We went to get insurance from a large insurer that I had been with for some time. They would not cover him because he had no driving record in the US for over 3 years. If I recall we tried a couple of other and were turned down. Finally we went to an independant agent I knew of and he said he could get coverage but only liability and he would have to put him in the high risk pool. I thought that would be extremely expensive but it had to be done. It turns out the liability insurance was about in line with others and the funny part was he was assigned to the same company that turned him down. The vehicle we paid cash for and could afford to eat it if it was wrecked. I remember how long it took for them to take him out of the assigned risk pool maybe a year or two. I can't explain this but it happened. It didn't happen to me when I came back from overseas in earlier years. If these folks are Canadian or something maybe some agent asked the wrong question or some computer caught something that triggered. Sometimes the independent agents are the way to go.

I have concern. You state you are selling your PRIMARY RESIDENCE and renting out the others. Insurance on your primary residence is a different animal than insurance on rentals. In the later you have no liability toward contents. I think you need to first go have a sit down with your insurance agent and get definite in writing facts about what is going to cover what. Your umbrella may or may not cover the contents of your RV. But I doubt that the insurance on your rentals is going to cover any if your personal items

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

I have concern. You state you are selling your PRIMARY RESIDENCE and renting out the others. Insurance on your primary residence is a different animal than insurance on rentals. In the later you have no liability toward contents. I think you need to first go have a sit down with your insurance agent and get definite in writing facts about what is going to cover what. Your umbrella may or may not cover the contents of your RV. But I doubt that the insurance on your rentals is going to cover any if your personal items

First off, Kirk. This happened about 12 years ago when our renewal policy came in for our DP, and had gone up substantially, with no prior claims. On the renewal was marked " best rate of renewal not qualified." I called Progressive at the time, which mind you, was 12-13 years ago, and their quote was... The NTSB and another govt agency, I don't remember which one, had a policy that ALL insurance companies used to rate renewals and new policies, and because we had not financed any vehicle, we did not qualify for their " best rate " and were considered higher risk.

I don't know if this might have changed. I have not seen or heard anything about that since.

Nana, yes, I am aware that the umbrella, and homeowners insurance on rentals will not cover contents. The reason for my post was to find out about " contents " coverage when we leave for full timing in the Spring.

Thank you though

Keystone Everest 5'r

I just renewed our GMAC policy, and in preparation for full timing in the Spring, I asked her about contents coverage. The insurance girl told me the comprehensive coverage only covers items that are " part of " our rig, and only permanently attached items like the awning and satellite dish.

It sounds to me that the person to whom you spoke didn't understand what you were asking. We've "always" had personal contents coverage when we had fulltimers RV insurance (in fact, even though we're no longer fulltimers, we still have personal contents coverage with our RV insurance).

In fact, back when we bought our last fifth wheel and I was shopping around for fulltimers insurance, I turned down a policy with one insurance company, even though it had the lowest annual premium, because they only offered personal contents coverage that equaled 20% of the purchase price of the RV. In our case, that was about half of what we needed based on what we had loaded into the RV. We ended up with an insurance company that allowed US to set the amount of personal contents coverage.

If you're interested in staying with GMAC, I'd call back and talk with a different agent. Or, better yet, do as Kirk suggested and call several brokers who specialize in RV insurance and work with several different insurance companies.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Just an observation...

You might have a half million dollars of coverage for when somebody else falls down your high quality RV steps and busts themselves up good. Don't assume the same insurance will give you squat if you do exactly the same thing.

Just an observation...

You might have a half million dollars of coverage for when somebody else falls down your high quality RV steps and busts themselves up good. Don't assume the same insurance will give you squat if you do exactly the same thing.

I'm sorry, this comment is supposed to help me how?

I thought this forum was to reach out for information. Have I insulted you in some way?

To everyone, especially Linda, I appreciate the help and considerate answers. I won't be back seeking any more information

Thank you for your time. And I do believe after a couple of nasty attacks on PM, we have no desire to join Escapees

Keystone Everest 5'r

Sounds like someone thought they would get coverage for falling on their own steps and getting hurt and was upset when "liablity" coverage was explained -- coverage for another person. This would be the same on a house too.

Sounds like you need a full-timers policy and possibly a new umbrella policy tied to your rv as the primary residence. Some personal liability policies do not cover rental properties that are owned. Those may need to be covered under a "commercial" umbrella polilcy. You need to make an appointment with your agent to discuss all of this, but keep in mind, your agent may not sell fulltimers insurance.

Pat DeJong

Some of you need to read things twice and then think about it. BrianT is giving good insight into understanding your coverage. He just said you can have a policy that will cover a visitor getting hurt but won't cover the owner if he is the one that is hurt. It is good advice even if you don't like the way he worded it.

I tried to lighten his mood by picking on him a little earlier and either I didn't do it right or it was removed. What I said to BrianT in jest was, "I think I see a hidden message in your words, Brian." Then I said I hope it doesn't hurt when you laugh. If anyone doesn't know what I am talking about I will leave it to Brian to explain if he feels like it but is under no obligation to do.

I sure felt chili tonight.

Thank you for your time. And I do believe after a couple of nasty attacks on PM, we have no desire to join Escapees

I guess I don't understand as I really do think that everyone was doing their best to give helpful advice. Of course, we have no way of knowing what someone may have said in a PM, but no group is immune to having a few bad apples in it and remember that not everyone who is part of these forums are members of the Escapee's RV Club. I offered what I thought was my best advice and really think that most others have done the same.

When it comes to the private message(PM), the forum staff does not exercise any control over them but they are much like emails. You do have the power to block all private messages or just specific people from sending them to you. Many of us who do accept a PM have selected folks blocked from sending them.

I'm sorry that we didn't live up to what you were expecting. I apologize for our shortcoming and suggest that you might benefit if you were to give it a second chance.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Hey guys. No offense taken here, and I appreciate the occasional poke of humor. :)

Maybe some have more of an intuitive sense about insurance legalese than I do. Great for you if you do. And while I do have a basic grasp of how things work in general, they don't always make much common sense in my mind.

FWIW, I had some of that chilli mentioned earlier over a baked potato last night. Good eats. Glad it didn't get thrown away. :)

Good luck sorting out your insurance needs. (Sorry for the PM attacks. You might consider posting them so we all know of what and of whom you write.)

Later,

J

PS We used Miller Insurance and were quite pleased with their knowledge of full timer insurance needs and their willingness to work the system for their customer's.

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

(Sorry for the PM attacks. You might consider posting them so we all know of what and of whom you write.)

I disagree. There's nothing to be gained by making public what was a private conversation and embarrassing the person who wrote it.

It's better for the OP to simply block that person from sending them private messages.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Bock them of course, both posts and PMs, but there is also a report link on the PM for you to use if the PM is a problem.

Report abusive PMs just like you do public posts and the admin folks will deal with the problem.

The forum rules apply to all areas of the forums and the admins will enforce them if they get a report.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Archived