Fulltime RV bookby a Canadian ?

yzg

I don't think we are going to be full timer but rather long timers...there are things that I am not will to give up...yet..

However, I am reading books on full timing...but many of the topics are written with an American perspective.

I suspect there are blogs out there but you have only so many hours in the day. ..what I am interested in is a book that coves many of the topics like volunteering in the states but from an Canadian perspective..does a book like this exist ?

Thanks

Ian.

It does not exist be cause there are very few full timers in Canada. I know there are a few on this forum. The problem is the requirement to be in Canada for 6 months and the limitations by the Americans for staying in the USA for extended periods. You really cannot do 6 here and 6 there. I would join the Canadian Snowbirds Assoc. They have a lot of info on spending time in the USA.

Moisheh

One issue with volunteering in the US is what you receive in return for volunteering. You should check with an American Consulate in Canada. There is one attached to the Embassy in Ottawa (the Consulate General) but there are also consulates in other major Canadian cities. This gives you locations: http://canada.usembassy.gov/visas/information-for-canadians/us-consulates-in-canada.html

You may need a visa.

Do not rely on any information anyone here gives to you or what you read in a book. This all changes and you may fall into a special category based on your skills. Contact a consulate.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

Thanks...

I volunteer now and we thought it would be great to volunteer as well in the states.

Thanks for the pointing to the book and the tip about the consulate...and the snowbird group is on my list..

if I understand correctly, I am allowed to be out of my province for 7 months. If I am in the states for more than 120 days, I become an honourary American and have to pay taxes..yikes !

Thanks, ian

One issue with volunteering in the US is what you receive in return for volunteering. You should check with an American Consulate in Canada. There is one attached to the Embassy in Toronto (the Consulate General) but there are also consulates in other major Canadian cities. This gives you locations: http://canada.usembassy.gov/visas/information-for-canadians/us-consulates-in-canada.html

You may need a visa.

Do not rely on any information anyone here gives to you or what you read in a book. This all changes and you may fall into a special category based on your skills. Contact a consulate.

WDR

I agree. Here are a couple of links to the US National Park Service webpages that might give you a start. International Volunteers in Parks Program, International Volunteer Frequently Asked Questions

Here is one: http://full-time-rving-in-canada.ca. Rae used to post here a lot.

While it does not have any real recent entries and she has apparently stopped RVing you can read her blog here.

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

...You get paid for volunteering ?...

Many federal, state and even some non-profit organizations provide an RV space which may include electric, water, sewer and sometimes propane and laundry facilities or other amenities in exchange for a commitment of a certain level of service(work hours). These positions are commonly referred to as resident or RV Volunteers. The problem that arises for non-citizens is that the US State Department which controls Visas and other visitor entry programs views these as compensation(pay/income) even though the US Internal Revenue Service and states may not consider it as taxable income.

We have several Canadian friends that volunteer for Habitat for Humanity, but you often pay for the utilities at your RV site or stay at a local campground.

Thanks...

I volunteer now and we thought it would be great to volunteer as well in the states.

Thanks for the pointing to the book and the tip about the consulate...and the snowbird group is on my list..

if I understand correctly, I am allowed to be out of my province for 7 months. If I am in the states for more than 120 days, I become an honourary American and have to pay taxes..yikes !

Thanks, ian

Wrong, you can stay 182 days in a calendar year. If you are there for more than 120 days it is advisable to fill out a 'Substantial Presence' declaration form for the IRS. You are basically declaring that you are Canadian and spend more than 1/2 year outside the US and primarily in Canada. You DO NOT pay taxes to the US. The 7th month recently allowed in Alberta is intended to allow snowbirds their 6 months in the US and another month for travel in Canada or a cruise or ???

The Canadian Snowbird Assoc. has all the info. Everything else is hearsay.

Roy

2011 GMC 3500 SRW CC, SB, Duramax/Allison
2008 HitchHiker LS 29.5 FKTG, 7000lb axles, Glide Ride, HD brakes, dual pane windows, 40" Panasonic, Magnadyne HTS, PD surge protector, etc.
Mods: 5 gal pressure tank, Motosat dish, plumbing reworked, inside steps storage, SeeLevel tank gauges, Rear view camera, major changes to basement.

I agree. Here are a couple of links to the US National Park Service webpages that might give you a start. International Volunteers in Parks Program, International Volunteer Frequently Asked Questions

While it does not have any real recent entries and she has apparently stopped RVing you can read her blog here.

Rae is still blogging. And still living in her RV in the summer in Canada. But she's living in Mexico in an apartment this winter. And living in her pickup truck as she traveled down and will travel back. Follow the link above to her old blog which will get you the link to her new one. And buy her book as listed in post #6 above to learn all the necessary details of full-time RVing in/from Canada. She really did ALL the research and explains things well.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

You get paid for volunteering ?

This is going to be complicated.

Very few positions with public parks or agencies pay anything but a few do have a small stipend. Many of the agencies do not accept applications from other than US citizens but I know that some states do as we have once or twice met Canadians who have volunteered in this country. You may also want to contact the US Consulate office about positions in the US as they can tell you what laws here are that you will need to deal with.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

My DW and I built our house...and I have a good sized workshop in our basement so Habitat for Humanity has a certain appeal to us.

If we stay in a different campground and refuse any stipend, it sounds like we can contribute however, I shall check with several resources listed above.

I understood that the "Substantial Presence' declaration form basically sets you up for taxation with the states increased need for tax revenue....it could be just a matter of time...

...My DW and I built our house...and I have a good sized workshop in our basement so Habitat for Humanity has a certain appeal to us...

You can see the current schedule of RV Care-A-Vanner builds here. There are also locations that have builds going on just about all the time, ongoing builds. We also volunteer by just stopping in at or calling the local affiliate. They may or may not have a build, but often can use help with the Restore or donation pickup. The smaller local affiliates often have their projects scheduled for Saturdays so that those in the community that still work can participate.

Roger,

I think all has been answered... when we volunteer, we tell them that we are Canadians and do not want anything in return.

I think we are gearing up for Habitat..and a couple of links for us has been posted..

Thanks for asking.

Ian.

Archived