smart car ramps?

PEIFamily

OK..

Just unpacked my ramps.. They looked a little more narrower then I expected..

SO.. I measured them: 14" with 3 aluminum bars going lengthways.

The sticker on them shows big boy 2 and the invoice shows smart car ramps. MF2-14438-SC

The ones on the website shows 4 bars going lengthways and are 19" wide..

What did I get and why would it show the same name?

http://www.discountramps.com/smart-car-ramps/p/MF2-14438-SC/

But looks like what I got is:

http://www.discountramps.com/big-boy-motorcycle-ramp/p/MF2-AMR/

Would these work or should I return them?

Thanks

2006 Volvo 670 singled long

2011 Heartland Sundance 3300CK

2006 Smart passion

2001 F350 DRW CREWCAB

I believe they both would work. A lot of us use these and they are only 12 inches wide, but double the weight capacity.

Phil uses one of the two you listed. The "hybrid end" is the difference between the two Big Boy IIs. Unless you need it to load now, I would send them back. Otherwise they can work for you.

So, do you need a longer end connection at the truck?

On edit - the fact that they are 14" wide, and both specs show them to be 19", what did they really send you. Are there any weight rating stickers on them.

Send them back unless they have a good explanation - like you are receiving the latest designed smart ramps for loading onto our trucks!

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Not sure,

I ordered MF2-14438-SC and that's what my receipt shows, but what I received was MF2-14438 and there are only 3 rectangle tubes on it, one on the outside of each one and one in the middle.

The smart car ones show 4 tubes running lengthways.

I won't need them for about another 2-3 months.

It will be a royal pain as far as shipping.

I had them sent to Houlton Maine where I had the ET hitch sent to save $ on shipping & brokerfrees to Canada.

I had spoke to someone at discount ramps when I was researching them and he said a rough idea on shipping would be about the same price as the ramps.

EDIT: They have a bit of an arch in them, BUT there is no locking pin or anything on them. Heck, I laid them flat on the floor and I can flex them good and I am #230. I would be nervous to drive or tow my car over them.

2006 Smart passion

2001 F350 DRW CREWCAB

PEIF,

I have the Big Boy 2s like you ordered and mine are 19" wide. Would call them and as Rocky said get an explanation. The ones they sent will work but aren't what you wanted.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Like Carl's and Phil's, the ramps do flex a little, but I would be concerned about the fact that what you received is no way what is recommended for our smarts, or what you ordered.

So you say there is no pin in the center of the ramps to remove in case you need to for storage or whatever? My "whatever" was at the Rally and I wasn't ready to unload those 54# ramps. If I had the car with me, it would have been a lot easier to deal with half the weight in order to set up for loading or unloading. Even without being in the accident, it might become easier in the future as I get a little older!!

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

They fold in half, but are bolted together.. , Thanks. I do remember a few places where I saw that they were seperated by taking out the pins.

I posted a few to photobucket, first time using it so I hope it works right.

http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/jasondecourcey/slideshow/ramps

The sticker shows NOT to exceed 1000lbs per vehicle, is that per ramp - 2000lbs or as a set?

2006 Smart passion

2001 F350 DRW CREWCAB

These are the ramps I ended up with.

http://www.discountramps.com/smart-hauler-ramps/p/02-12-144/

They are only 12" wide, had me worried at first but they work well. I bolt them to the deck and have made a spreader bar for the bottom end to keep them parallel. I just watch the front wheel out the window and drive up. They are rated at 2000 ld her axel.

2005 Western Star, MDE 4000 ,singled mid, 12' deck with Smart Car
Bison Stratus 3 horse with 16' short wall 12' slide out

http://www.spottedhorsegallery.com/
http://www.campingandhorses.com/

The pictures don't look right. Mine are 12" wide and 12' long and fold in the middle. There is an 11 degree break in the middle and each says 2000 pounds. When I ordered mine I called and told them what I wanted and they sent to correct one. I never had a product number. If you are leery don't use them. I drive my Smart onto the truck but a failing ramp is not a ride I want to take.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

The pictures don't look right. Mine are 12" wide and 12' long and fold in the middle. There is an 11 degree break in the middle and each says 2000 pounds. When I ordered mine I called and told them what I wanted and they sent to correct one. I never had a product number. If you are leery don't use them. I drive my Smart onto the truck but a failing ramp is not a ride I want to take.

Brad

Very true. it would NOT be a fun ride.

These are the ramps I ended up with.

http://www.discountramps.com/smart-hauler-ramps/p/02-12-144/

They are only 12" wide, had me worried at first but they work well. I bolt them to the deck and have made a spreader bar for the bottom end to keep them parallel. I just watch the front wheel out the window and drive up. They are rated at 2000 ld her axel.

I saw those there, they look a lot more heavier then the ones I received.

2006 Smart passion

2001 F350 DRW CREWCAB

I think that has the wrong sticker on it. They don't make a Big Boy II ramp that is anything but 19 inches wide.

The weight rating should be per ramp, but I wouldn't trust that at this point. Wrong stickers.

WIll call them in the morning. The box they arrived in is 20" wide, And about 2-3 thicker then the ramps, I think someone dropped the wrong ramp with the wrong label into the box by mistake. The box has the correct product code, but no -SC on the end.

Sure hope something with this HDT conversion starts going right LOL

2006 Smart passion

2001 F350 DRW CREWCAB

Pei, the ones I use are these

http://www.discountramps.com/smart-car-ramps/p/MF2-14438-SC/

(if you look in the image gallery that is my blue smart and red Volvo)

Yes, they flex but mine also fold FLAT, no arch, which is why I bought them. They have a "peak" when open but fold flat.

They are rated for 2000 lbs. and the smart (yes, even with my fat a$$ in it) weighs less than that. We all know they will not suddenly fail at 2001 lbs so I am not worried. Concrete overpasses flex and do high rise skyscrapers. Flex is not an all round terrible thing.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I also have the Big Boy ll ramps and have loaded our smart at least 30+ times by drive on & off with little or no problems.

They are 19" wide & 12ft long when unfolded, with 4 stringers. We also store them under the car, just fits with tiedowns.

the sailor & his Lady

1998 Volvo 610 "Big Red"

2006 Newmar Kountry Aire "Mother Goose"

2013 Smart Car "Lil' Red"

" If you aren't living on the edge, you are just taking up space "

I also have the Big Boy ll ramps and have loaded our smart at least 30+ times by drive on & off with little or no problems.

They are 19" wide & 12ft long when unfolded, with 4 stringers. We also store them under the car, just fits with tiedowns.

Brad,

Do not mean to hi-jack the thread but just wanted to ask, you said you stored your ramps under your smart car. I do also but have a system made which will hold the car up a couple of inches in the rear because the motor and trany would bounce on the ramps. I was afraid I might crack the bottom of the motor or trany. So does you smart bounce on your ramps? Thanks

">9ed2381e-e012-485f-924a-b1f342a69abc.jpg

2001 610 Volvo -Volvo power 465HP/1650 -autoshift
2009 Smart Passion / cross loaded on Volvo
2014.5 Mobile Suite 41 RSSB4

VOLUNTEER CHRISTIAN BUILDERS

Hi , I am not Brad, but we do store the ramps under the car, I also strap the car down hard , we towed to Alaska and back to Florida , no problems to date ,,,,Jim & Norma

the sailor & his Lady

1998 Volvo 610 "Big Red"

2006 Newmar Kountry Aire "Mother Goose"

2013 Smart Car "Lil' Red"

" If you aren't living on the edge, you are just taking up space "

Brad,

Do not mean to hi-jack the thread but just wanted to ask, you said you stored your ramps under your smart car. I do also but have a system made which will hold the car up a couple of inches in the rear because the motor and trany would bounce on the ramps. I was afraid I might crack the bottom of the motor or trany. So does you smart bounce on your ramps? Thanks

I am also going to carry my ramps under the Smart. With Roadfitters help I fabricated some chocks that have a 2" rise. I put a piece of 2x12 under the back wheels so the whole car is up 2". This gives plenty of clearance.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Hi, I am Brad and I do not store my ramps under the car. I have a tunnel between my back boxes so the ramps are inside when stored. When I drive up the ramps they do not bounce. I believe they sag just a bit when the weight goes on but I have not spent any time on them looking at that. About 5 secs start to finish so there is not much time to watch anything but the front tire as I'm going up.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Archived