Connverter Question.

Dreed917

I think we have a converter problem. Batteries check out ok, but when we are not plugged into shore power we have no 12 volt usage. Any ideas?

If your rig is equipped with a battery disconnect, have you verified that it is in the on position? You probably want to follow the battery cable backwards until you get to the main breaker and ensure that it was not tripped when disconnected/reconnected.

The boost mode, controlled by the pendant, WILL change the output to 14.4 VD even if it is not needed. If the button is used as in the pendant information, it will force the output for 15 minutes to 14.4 VDC That is the desulfation mode and should stay there for 15 minutes minimum, or longer if the battery needs it. ( http://www.progressivedyn.com/pendant.html )It sounds like the converter is not working properly. The same voltage is used every 21 hours for 15 minutes automatically to stir up the electrolyte. see what the light on the front of the pendant is indicating.

I had the PD9100 in my MH and upgraded with the pendant, worked great and did get the 14.4 VDC when I followed the instructions that came with the pendant, see above.

Good luck,

Mike

Happy Trails,

Florida Mike

EXPERTS AREN'T!! :D

We installed new 45 amp converter replacement kit. Used battery tester and batteries are fully charged. Still no 12v when not plugged into shore power. I do not know if there is a battery disc switch. Have a 1996 Winnebago Adventurer - books for the RV do not say anything. Thanks for all the input - pls continue to help before I have to call a repair person. We have a button on dash near entry door that says AUX Batt that we used once to help start engine. Even in on position still no 12 volt. UGH!!

Sometimes the battery disconnect switch is located in a most uneasy to get to locations, like under the outside stairs.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Some motorhomes have a switch I think by the door that enables salesmen to disable the coach to keep the batteries from draining. My coach does not have it but some do...and yours might be one of them. Most coaches do have a battery disconnect..mine is located right in the battery compartment and is a big rotary dial that you turn to off. Most of them that I have seen are red.

Check that and if you find it it could be off or it could also be the big fuse that is usually there adjacent to the switch.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

I think we have a converter problem. Batteries check out ok, but when we are not plugged into shore power we have no 12 volt usage. Any ideas?

You appear to have two unrelated problems:

12 V only when plugged in-----batteries are turned off and you are getting power from your (incorrectly operating) converter.

No 14.4 V when the wizard is telling the converter to go to the desulfation mode-----converter problem (you already ruled out the wizard as you said that you have replaced it).

A 9200 (new) I about $150, I think you are going in that direction. . . . . . and find the battery switch, probably near the door somewhere, mine was on the wall just above the first step inside the coach.

Good luck.

Happy Trails,

Florida Mike

EXPERTS AREN'T!! :D

Archived