Connverter Question.

Dreed917

Single battery, Intelipower 9100 with Charge Wizard. Battery at 70% per the TM 230 battery monitor. Start genie, converter in Boost Mode per the charge wizard. Starts off at 20 amps but seconds later goes to 9a at 13.5v.

Pressing the button on the charge wizard changes mode to Normal 13.1v @2amp. Pressing again and it goes to storage mode 13.1@2amps.

Question: It seems that the charge wizard is changing the modes ok but I never get the 14.4volts in the boost mode I am supposed to have. Is there an adjustment on the converter to adjust this? As it is I get more charging voltage from the engine running then from the genny running.

Dave

04 PleasureWay Excel

If you put a multimeter on the battery posts what does it show before you push the Wizard button, once you push it (it should bump up some from before and continue rising) and after the Wizard drops back to normal mode.

Our 45 amp converter with a Wizard would go to 50 plus amps if the battery was low and hold in high mode for quite a while. If the battery was pretty near charged it wouldn't show many amps or hold in high for long.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

It is possible that the boost, 14.4v, isn't needed if the battery(s) are sufficiently charged and the converter drops to 13.6v to slowly complete the charge. From Progressive Dynamics website: http://www.progressivedyn.com/charge_wizard.html

I VERY SELDOM every see ours at 14.4v; you might want to talk with Progressive Dynamics. Greg

Our patented Charge Wizard 4-stage system uses microprocessor technology to add intelligent charging capability. It constantly monitors the RV battery and automatically adjusts the converter output voltage based on the battery's charge status – designed to eliminate battery over & under charging problems associated with most other battery chargers and provide rapid yet safe battery recharging after dry camping. View the literature.

The Charge Wizard constantly monitors battery voltage and battery usage then selects one of the following four operating modes to properly charge and maintain the battery.
BOOST Mode 14.4 Volts - Rapidly brings the RV battery up to 90% of full charge.
NORMAL Mode 13.6 Volts - Safely completes the charge.
STORAGE Mode 13.2 Volts - Maintains charge with minimal gassing or water loss.
EQUALIZATION Mode 14.4 Volts - Every 21 hours for a period of 15 minutes prevents battery stratification & sulfation - the leading cause of battery failure.

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

Battery voltage is 12.4. Start genny and it raises to 13.5 like I said. Charge wizard starts out in

Boost Mode. But boost mode is advertised as 14.4 not 13.5 like I am getting. Sure would like to raise

that. All the other modes, I.E Normal and Storge modes are right on voltage wise. Just the Boost Mode it our of spec's.

Dave

As I understand it, if the wizard senses the battery doesn't need the 14.4 volts anymore [and that's at about 90% charge] it drops the converter into the normal mode and the light on the Wizard goes from fully lighted to blinking. It hasn't done that so it's still in the "Boost" mode but just not 14.4.

Dave

Have you let it charge for 1/2hr and then checked? I notice that mine will increase in time once the battery is capable of accepting the higher voltage. Almost like it needs to build up circulation.

Roy

2011 GMC 3500 SRW CC, SB, Duramax/Allison
2008 HitchHiker LS 29.5 FKTG, 7000lb axles, Glide Ride, HD brakes, dual pane windows, 40" Panasonic, Magnadyne HTS, PD surge protector, etc.
Mods: 5 gal pressure tank, Motosat dish, plumbing reworked, inside steps storage, SeeLevel tank gauges, Rear view camera, major changes to basement.

My first question would be.. what type of genny are you running and what else do you have powered in your rig? What is the continuous amp output?

The reason being.. with your remote fob, if you put your charger into bulk mode manually, it SHOULD stay in bulk for 4 hours.

If you're reading 12.4, your battery is no where near 90%, so you SHOULD be getting a full bulk charge. It sounds like your charger is working... from my "read" it sounds like you either have a faulty charge wizard module, a bad connection, or your genny is not capable of providing your charger with enough juice to power a bulk charge and the under voltage protection built into your charger is kicking in and dropping you into a saturation charge.

JMO

Question was have I run the genny for 1/2 hour and checked it. I've run it for a couple of hours and it hasn't come up. The % of charge goes up but very slowly. And it a PleasureWay class b and they come with a 2.7 kw Onan.

I've emailed the company with the question. I'll see what I get. I hate to just change boxes hoping that will fix it.

Dave 04 PleasureWay

2.7 kw Onan.

Your batteries will still charge at 13.5... somewhat... but it will take awhile. If you depend on your batteries, the best solution would be to increase your battery bank size and not discharge under 80% so your gen time will stay within a reasonable range.

My converter is a 9100 series. The model number is probably [i haven't looked yet] a Pd9130. 30amp

output, the smallest because of the single battery. Spec's shown in the manual are:

120volts input @ 500 watts.

Output: 13.6 volts [14.4 in the boost mode] @ 30 amps max.

So 500 watts is all that I really need for it to run at full output per the manual. 2.7kw should be more then enough. I appreciate the help though. I was really hoping for a screwdriver adjustment for the

thing so I could just raise the voltage to spec.

Dave

According to my manual mine (Progressive Dynamics PD 9145A) will only run in boost mode for ten minutes per day (for desulphation) if the batteries are fully charged.

Clay(WA5NMR), Lee(Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timed for eleven years in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Snowbirds for 1 year. Now settled down in western CO.
Honda Accord toad.

Thought I would email the question to Best Converter about it. He said for sure I should have 14.4v.

Suggested I replace the Charge Wizard but there would be no guarantee that would fix it. It could be

internal to the converter. So I ordered one from them.

The saga continues,

Dave

I would suggest talking with the manufacturer. Greg

For Additional Service Assistance
Contact our Service Department

Progressive Dynamics Service Department

507 Industrial Road, Marshall, Mi 49068

Supervisor: James Mayo

Pho: 269-781-4242 | Fax: 269-781-7802

Email:

Service Hours – 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM EST

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350

You said you emailed Best Converter, an RV electrical supplier, unless I missed a post regarding Progressive Dynamics. I hope you get problem corrected. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350

Please do not toss the old converter in the trash

I have repaired a dozen or more of the PD 9100 series converters over the past few years

Some / many of them experienced a problem with keeping the output voltage up under a heavy load

Happy tp pay shipping costs if you end up with a new one and do not want the old unit

• 2 weeks later...

Well I tried a new Wizard and that didn't help. Didn't think it would. Installed a new Boondocker model converter. In Boost it supposedly charges at 14.6 volts. Time will tell on how well it work when the battery is actually low.

Dave 04 PleasureWay TD

While we were at Park Sierra earlier this month I noticed that our site was getting a pretty decent shot of sun so I turned off the converter (at the breaker panel) and let the solar panels do the job. A few days later we had a spell of fog and clouds and I noticed that the batteries were a little slim one morning so I turned the Progressive Dynamics 45-amp unit (with Wizard) back on. I got a big boost voltage and the Tri Metric system reported 30-amps of current headed into the battery bank (2 8-d wet cells).

Perhaps if you let the batteries sit for a while, powering stuff, you would see a boost voltage. At least you'd know that it works.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

• 1 month later...

You state the problem is no 12v power in the RV when disconnected from the CG power pedestal. What type of RV do you have? If you are not on shore power the batteries should provide 12v power not the converter. When you are on shore power both the batteries and converter provide 12v power and the converter charges the batteries. Is the battery disconnect switch turned so the batteries are connected to your RV? Are the batteries charged, if they are bad you will have no 12v power when not on shore power as you describe.

If you have 12v power when you are connected to the CG power pedestal the 12v fuse box and connections are good. Go back to the batteries and check.

I also suggest you start a new thread about no 12v power as many folks might not read this older thread. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350

Archived