TV options for full timing

I have read a lot of threads on this over the net, but they all seem to be a couple of years old. And maybe something new has come up that I am not aware of. At our home we have Comcast with a DVR. We never watch live TV and record every show we watch. What options for full timing do we have and what could you recommend? What is the cost to set up and monthly?
Thanks

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

I think the most common options today are

• OTA (Over The Air) -- using an RV's "batwing" antenna to pick up local TV stations. You can use a DVR (TiVo, Channel Master, etc). The cheapest option.
  • DISH or DirecTV -- depending how much you want to spend, you could duplicate most any home setup. For example, I have three HD TVs hooked up to two DISH Hoppers & a Joey.
  • Streaming -- downloading Netflix, Hulu, etc shows using a wireless broadband connection. Potentially the most expensive because of the cost of cellular data plans.

You could, of course, use any combination of the above. But ultimately it's going to depend on how much media you "consume" & what you're willing to spend.

As I consume way too much media, my setup includes all of the above.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

We have Dish Network for the coach, and have cable in our resort for our auxiliary TVs in our gazebo and shed (Man Cave or Craft Room depending on who you talk to). Many parks have cable available, although many are basic services. Do not expect top quality HD from their park cable.

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

We have chosen to use Direct both at home and in the RV. We set it up everynight. We have found that the "cable" supplied by parks is usually limiting and of poor quality. Also, we don't need to figure out which channel is which. With setting up each night all our programs are always recorded, no need to change anything. We have signed up for DNS since we don't find any real need to "local" channels, if we do, we raise our batwing.

More and mor parks are dropping their "cable" since so many people have sat systems.

As an aside, we stopped at a CG years ago that advertised sat. TV, they had 1 channel!!!!!!

Our resort is acceptable, but is a non-HD analog system. We are exploring the possibility of upgrading in our association, but that probably will not happen because it may involve an outlay of cash from the resort to upgrade the infrastructure, and we cannot see them doing that.

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

What is the cost to set up and monthly?

Like Comcast DirecTV has different packages to pick from. But no internet package. Check DTV web site for the package & cost you want.

Use zip for your full time domical.

Full time DRV is the HR44 that will only work with a SWM dish weather portable or roof mounted($1,600 +)

Cost of lowest package may be $55 plus $10 HD, Plus $10 DRV, Plus DNS $15, Plus whole Home $3 and $6 for extra receivers.

New customers can usually get the HR44 and extra receivers Free with a 24 month contract and a set up charge.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

I would go to tv4rv.com, he sells everything you might need. He is also very helpful. Should be $200-$250 for a complete set-up(hvy duty tripod combo pack, folding LNB and the mount for the dish to go on the ladder(this is great)). You will need to buy coax and your vendor should supply the dish. The only additional charge would be your monthly subscription. Until you get the hang of it setting up a portable will be frustrating, there are several apps for your phone that makes it less painful. We now take 10-20 minutes to set it up.

If you get the DNS waiver(see Ecapees website) the you will always get the NY or LA national stations.

Wife and I are not really big TV fans. Actually, not real advertising TV fans. Will catch the live news on broadcast if available but otherwise we stick to a few torrent sites to download our favorite shows to watch later when we're ready. No advertising and since we decide when we download, can usually wait until we have a good and fast wifi connection. We use MyBookLive to maintain a library of shows and movies for those times when connections are really poor.

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

I think the most common options today are

• OTA (Over The Air) -- using an RV's "batwing" antenna to pick up local TV stations. You can use a DVR (TiVo, Channel Master, etc). The cheapest option.

• DISH or DirecTV -- depending how much you want to spend, you could duplicate most any home setup. For example, I have three HD TVs hooked up to two DISH Hoppers & a Joey.

• Streaming -- downloading Netflix, Hulu, etc shows using a wireless broadband connection. Potentially the most expensive because of the cost of cellular data plans.

You could, of course, use any combination of the above. But ultimately it's going to depend on how much media you "consume" & what you're willing to spend.

As I consume way too much media, my setup includes all of the above.

Thanks, as these are the options that I have been reading about. But my wife wanted me to put a thread out confirming what I told her about. I looked at the Channel Master and really liked the idea. As there is no subscription fee, just the initial cost of the equipment and hard drive. But I do not know if that will be enough selection for us. I think you only get about 4-7 channels using the antenna that comes with the new rig.

Steaming will not be an option as the data fees will break the bank.

Satellite (DISH or DirecTV) seem like the only option to give us a wide variety of channels. I have read a lot of good posts on the Tailgater dish. Would that work with either company? Is one better then another? I just remember people switching from the dish because of not good reception and poor picture during storms. And our site may be in the woods with no real direct view of the sky.

Just trying to learn as much as I can from you guys and make the right choice the first time.

Many thanks.

SWEET set up you have there.

We have Dish Network for the coach, and have cable in our resort for our auxiliary TVs in our gazebo and shed (Man Cave or Craft Room depending on who you talk to). Many parks have cable available, although many are basic services. Do not expect top quality HD from their park cable.

I was thinking the same thing. I do not think 99.9% of the parks invest in there infrastructure for TV and internet.

I just purchased and installed the Wingard Pathway X2 and 211Z receiver for Dish network. It's capable of running 2 TV's. It has a larger dish which pulls a stronger signal and is less prone to rain fade. Also it is able to use the eastern arc satellites if needed. It is for dish only but I wouldn't even consider Direct because I will not watch a Non HD channel, and you cannot get Direct HD using a portable dish. I would highly recommend it over the tailgater.

2005 Foretravel U270

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee 

2016 Polaris RZR Turbo

Satellite (DISH or DirecTV) seem like the only option to give us a wide variety of channels. I have read a lot of good posts on the Tailgater dish. Would that work with either company? Is one better then another? I just remember people switching from the dish because of not good reception and poor picture during storms. And our site may be in the woods with no real direct view of the sky.

Though I have DISH, I think it's a horse a piece between DISH & DirecTV.

I think many full timers (myself included) opt for a rooftop Winegard Travler, either the DISH or DirecTV version because of its convenience. For those "in the woods" situations you mentioned, I use a portable tripod dish which can be moved all over the place. These tripod dishes are available for both DISH and DirecTV.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

We worry about trees all the time, no real problem in the SW but a problem in the rest of the country. That is why we selected a tripod setup+100' of coax. Even if we had a auto rooftop you would still need the tripod setup for the tree locations.

I saw someone with a traveller and we had light trees in Utah. In order to get reception he had to haul it up his ladder and place it on his roof, it isn't exactly light and very awkward to handle.

The Tailgater can only be used with specific Dish receivers and only finds the Dish western arc satellites. In my opinion, the Winegard Pathway X2 is a much better choice for an automatic portable satellite antenna. The X2 works with both Dish eastern and western arc satellite sets, giving you more aiming options, and the larger reflector means stronger signals with less rain fade. The X2 can also be configured for two receivers, versus one for the Tailgater.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I think you only get about 4-7 channels using the antenna that comes with the new rig.

If you are talking about OTA antenna. It depends on what area you stay at.

I have been in some that only 1 station can be picked up with the Batwing.

And at my winter spot it gets 24 stations. But a lot of them not in english.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

If you are talking about OTA antenna. It depends on what area you stay at.

I have been in some that only 1 station can be picked up with the Batwing.

And at my winter spot it gets 24 stations. But a lot of them not in english.

Yes I was talking about OTA.

Archived