yellowstone national park summer positions

newdadzilla

In response to Working in the Yellowstone area. When Camp hosting inside Yellowstone Natl Park, you work for the Natl Park Service and your site plus utilities are free, usually with 3 on/3 off. Natl Forest Service in. The area pays 600.00 plus site, utilities and phone line. The marina on hebgen lake pays hourly, free site, utilities and Internet. Any paid position falls under a concessionaire.

Hope this helps

Dogs in Yellowstone. As a worker in the park everyone needs to realize the rules on pets. Tickets for not following can exceed 100.00 per pet. They are only allowed in the campground on pavement, no trails or amphitheater a. The100 yards is for unimproved areas and is very iffy in areas. They are not allowed on boardwalks either. If you want to take them into west yellowstone there are places there to take them off leash.

Dogs in Yellowstone. As a worker in the park everyone needs to realize the rules on pets. Tickets for not following can exceed 100.00 per pet. They are only allowed in the campground on pavement, no trails or amphitheater a. The100 yards is for unimproved areas and is very iffy in areas. They are not allowed on boardwalks either. If you want to take them into west yellowstone there are places there to take them off leash.

Just a couple of nitpicky points about the above (which is mostly correct). The comment about "...only allowed in the campground on pavement,..." might be a bit unclear. Since the actual campsites are unpaved, except for the parking area, dogs are allowed off the pavement so that they can be with their owners while in their campsite. Not being allowed on the trails nor the amphitheaters is correct. We had people warned of that by rangers when they ignored the warnings by campground staff.

The 100 yards is actually 100 feet.

Don

• 1 month later...

I worked in the Park for 6 seasons. I was very young and they were some of the best years of my life. Most people that I know that have worked in Yellowstone then or now testify to making lifelong friends. Please understand that you aren't really there for the "job" but rather to enjoy the Park. Working conditions vary and like everywhere else there are good bosses and bad bosses. With the right attitude none of that really matters, Do your job and enjoy the park and surrounding area. Even very wealthy people cannot afford to live somewhere as beautiful as Yellowstone and you are part of it. I can say with 100% certainty that you will never live in an area as wonderful and diverse as Yellowstone.

After the season starts (now) the attrition starts and accelerates. By June Delaware North and Zanterra will be looking for people again. Just because you don't have a job there now don't think you can't get one.

• 3 weeks later...

We are a family 4, parents of twin 13 year olds. We have been interested in Rving full time for a few years. We have been to yellow stone 3 times and we are interested in working there. Are there other rv families who work at yellowstone for the summer season?

I just got a call from Xanterra about their end of season positions. They plan ahead for staff that leave before the end of season and those positions start in Aug. I thought this would work as a trial period and still allow me to have some time at home this summer before I do my winter volunteer travels. There is a computer test you do online for the campground registration. They could not say which positions at the campground would be open at that time but they are looking to have staff ready to go for the short end season.

• 5 months later...

We worked in West Yellowstone for two summers several years ago and are now applying to work in the park. Which companies have work and living inside the park and what are the differences if any between them?

Jim & Alona traveling with River, Rocky & Indy.

Our home, a 33' 1988 Southwind which we love!

http://arjrontheroad.blogspot.com

http://gatewatchers.blogspot.com

Xanterra, Delaware North and the Yellowstone Association as well as the company that runs the gas stations are the paying positions that I saw when working for Xanterra for end of the season. There is some difference in how much you pay for your RV site but that can change from year to year I would guess. The hourly wage I believe is similar.

• 2 weeks later...

Old Faithful has a dedicated area for employees. No public allowed. Most of the workers for Delaware North and Xantera live in dorm rooms. A new form was just completed this year. There are some apartments and permanently installed single wides also. Then there are the FHURV spots. Most of these seem to be taken by temp Rangers and Yellowstone association workers (us). But they may be available to other workers also. They are all within easy walking distance to most of the work areas.

06 38L Bounder 300hp Cat
2012 GMC Terrain
Started FT 2011

There are dorms for Xanterra. Some are located in the main employee area to the south of the main village, some are located just outside the Old Faithful Inn. Delaware North employees live in dorms that are attached to both of the stores. The RV area is co-located with the Xanterra dorms, and NPS housing. The RV sites are fhu and are for employees of all concessionaires and the NPS. We were at the Old Faithful RV area during May the past two seasons. As soon as the Tower area in the northeast opened we relocated there for the balance of the season.

This was our fourth summer in the park. Can't wait to get back. If you come you will have a ball. Beware - visitorship is through the roof. Records made this past year. 2016 is the 100th anniversary of the NPS. It is going to be busy, busy, busy. Can't wait!!!

Let me know if you have questions regarding working retail. I have not worked in the campgrounds so cannot speak to that. I also volunteer with the Tower Ranger District. I may be able to answer a few questions regarding the NPS campgrounds at Tower, Slough Creek and Pebble Creek.

The richest are not those who have the most, but those who need the least.

• 1 month later...

Although not workamping, we volunteered for Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park doing split shifts. We thought it was terrible. We worked mornings then off a few hours at lunchtime then back to work. It didn't give us enough time to do chores, errands, shopping. We had to do all that on our days off when we wanted to have fun. :) I guess it would depend on what your hours will be but think it out closely.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I did a split shift for another company at Yellowstone at campgrounds. The dorm residents have set hours for lunch in the employee dining room so RVers that are not set to certain lunch periods worked during that time. I think I had 2-2 1/2 hours off during the middle of the day when I worked a time that was during lunch but this only happened twice a week for me. Otherwise I did not come into work until after the lunch hour and dinner did not seem to be as big an issue for us but I am sure it could be elsewhere.

I just did my computer stuff or laundry. I was a great time to do laundry since no one else was there during the middle of the day. But it does cut down on running errands, seeing others of the park that were not in the direct vicinity and you often need to drive hours outside the park to run big errands.

We're going to be working for Delaware North this year, I know they have split shifts only, has anyone worked for them and if so, how was it working splits? :huh:

This past summer was my 4th with DNC in Yellowstone. The past two seasons, I was a trainer on the cash register system and customer service. I also did some of the New Employee Orientations. There are two stores at OF. Which one will you be at?
As for split shifts, I don't like them. Many folks do , many do not. I was fortunate in that my position did not require a set schedule. I traveled the entire park covering all 12 stores so I worked with store managers to schedule visits/classes.
If you have any questions re. DNC or Yellowstone in general, let me know. I'll do my best to answer them. (I don't know much about Xanterra...)

The richest are not those who have the most, but those who need the least.

• 1 month later...

We're going to be working for Delaware North this year, I know they have split shifts only, has anyone worked for them and if so, how was it working splits? :huh:

I dont know about the inside of the park but DNC have 3 hotels and one restaurant in West Yellowstone, the city located on the border/entrance of Yellowstone National Park. Two of the hotels work only Spring-Summer because of the cold weather while the third is open through the whole year. They are big company and there lots of workers in the summer. They also organize trips to the park or other cool activities for their employees but you need to be lucky enough to have a day off on these days.

Overall i had nice experience working with DNC, the staff is nice and the manager was really cool but it was back in 2014.

Yellowstone National Park Jobs

Jobs in West Yellowstone

Archived