We replaced carpet with laminate flooring

We did our fifth wheel 5 years before we traded it. Never had any problems with shifting, seeking movement etc. We did learn to sweep the floor well before pulling in the slides. Even sand and coarse dort could cause a scratch.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

We did our fifth wheel 5 years before we traded it. Never had any problems with shifting, seeking movement etc. We did learn to sweep the floor well before pulling in the slides. Even sand and coarse dort could cause a scratch.

Thanks for the tip - we will take it to heart!

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

We had a Shaw laminate floor that was a goss finish in dark cherry. I will never have another floor like that. It showed every speck of dust and water spots. Additionally, if you chipped or scratched the thin finish, you had a light colored spot.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

I recently installed vinyl plank flooring throughout our 5th wheel. It was thinner so easier to accommodate the slide. A little easier to assemble, also, although a little more expensive...

2003 Coachman Chaparal 276 RLS

2000 F250, 7.3l auto ext. cab 4x4

Laminate plank is an great RV improvement and very easy to install. We did it on our current RV and looking at replacing the floor in the kitchen and workstation area on our next RV. The only problem we encountered was removing the old flooring and all the glue.

Living the full time RV dream in a Holiday Rambler Motor home.

Our Travel Blog is http://rvroadriders.com

In many cases, the transition from the floor level slide to the main floor is exposed and ugly! Maybe some sort of transitional carpet could cover that once it was extended? Without that transition flap I worry more about things getting under the slide as it comes in and damaging the floor. But then, I am a worrier, anyway.

Of the various floor coverings that you folks have researched, what is the best one for durability?

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

I did the slide...what I did to hide the transition is overhang about an inch. I'm finding this has left an area that is subject to damage when stepped on, esp. when the slide is in. I've been trying to dream up a solution to that...figure need some sort of thin, strong support stuff...haven't decided what to try yet. Been working on modifying plumbing to incorporate filters/filtered tank fillers and an added tank...not to hijack the thread...When I figure out what to try, I'll glue it and the vinyl to the slide to inhibit sliding out of the slide! Had nailed it with small nail to this point, which worked well, but may not with a harder underlay.

2003 Coachman Chaparal 276 RLS

2000 F250, 7.3l auto ext. cab 4x4

How about some sort of mount on a piano hinge so it can just be flipped up on its back when you bring the slide in. The rest of the time it can rest on the existing floor or maybe on soft felt dots if necessary to prevent scratching? Just trying to think inside the box.

Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

Right. That's why I was suggesting hinging that edge strip so it can be flipped up and over onto the slide floor when you bring it in. That should leave nothing extending out beyond the supported edge of the slideout. I am presuming that when the slide is deployed that 1" edge rests on the existing floor? I was only wondering if there might be scratching under that edge as one moves on/off of the slide floor during the day.

it's hard to see without a few pictures so I am having to guess a bit about the look and how things fit together when the slide is deployed and retracted.

I guess I'm the odd one here. I don't like wood floor in anything, RV or s&b. Too easy to damage, spill something on them and don't wipe it up immediately and you have a warp. I just don't like wood floors, natural or laminate.

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

We like our laminate flooring which is easy to clean and the spills wipe up easy. There have been a couple of scratches from the slides, but once a year I just replace them with spares we carry, takes about a hour to replace a couple of boards and remove the causing outside fabric staples. We just bought the cheapest light oak laminate from Home Depot and have about $200 in material cost, but took 20+ hours in labor to install. I removed the carpet but left the original vinyl flooring in place. I figure we can always go back to carpet if needed, but it doesn't look like it after 2 years now.

Greg

I guess I'm the odd one here. I don't like wood floor in anything, RV or s&b. Too easy to damage, spill something on them and don't wipe it up immediately and you have a warp. I just don't like wood floors, natural or laminate.

It really is a matter of taste so there is no "right or wrong" about it.

I will mention that the Allure Trafficmaster I put down is billed as water resistant and as ideal for basement installations so it's not especially vulnerable to water spills, etc.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

That really looks nice! I particularly like the wood tones. What make model of flooring is that?

Also, I am concerned about the noise and echo without carpet. I like my audio but not bouncing all over the place causing dissonance.

01.19.2015-16.09.png

Archived