We replaced carpet with laminate flooring

In many cases, the transition from the floor level slide to the main floor is exposed and ugly! Maybe some sort of transitional carpet could cover that once it was extended? Without that transition flap I worry more about things getting under the slide as it comes in and damaging the floor. But then, I am a worrier, anyway.

Of the various floor coverings that you folks have researched, what is the best one for durability?

I did the slide...what I did to hide the transition is overhang about an inch. I'm finding this has left an area that is subject to damage when stepped on, esp. when the slide is in. I've been trying to dream up a solution to that...figure need some sort of thin, strong support stuff...haven't decided what to try yet. Been working on modifying plumbing to incorporate filters/filtered tank fillers and an added tank...not to hijack the thread...When I figure out what to try, I'll glue it and the vinyl to the slide to inhibit sliding out of the slide! Had nailed it with small nail to this point, which worked well, but may not with a harder underlay.

Right. That's why I was suggesting hinging that edge strip so it can be flipped up and over onto the slide floor when you bring it in. That should leave nothing extending out beyond the supported edge of the slideout. I am presuming that when the slide is deployed that 1" edge rests on the existing floor? I was only wondering if there might be scratching under that edge as one moves on/off of the slide floor during the day.

it's hard to see without a few pictures so I am having to guess a bit about the look and how things fit together when the slide is deployed and retracted.

We like our laminate flooring which is easy to clean and the spills wipe up easy. There have been a couple of scratches from the slides, but once a year I just replace them with spares we carry, takes about a hour to replace a couple of boards and remove the causing outside fabric staples. We just bought the cheapest light oak laminate from Home Depot and have about $200 in material cost, but took 20+ hours in labor to install. I removed the carpet but left the original vinyl flooring in place. I figure we can always go back to carpet if needed, but it doesn't look like it after 2 years now.

Greg

I guess I'm the odd one here. I don't like wood floor in anything, RV or s&b. Too easy to damage, spill something on them and don't wipe it up immediately and you have a warp. I just don't like wood floors, natural or laminate.

It really is a matter of taste so there is no "right or wrong" about it.

I will mention that the Allure Trafficmaster I put down is billed as water resistant and as ideal for basement installations so it's not especially vulnerable to water spills, etc.

Archived