De-Boning Snake

Yarome

I guess it never hurts to ask... Does anyone have any simple way to de-bone snake?

I generally just smoke them and peel off strips. I would really like to try some other cooking methods, but just can't get past all the bones. There must be some trick to it other than just peeling the spine.

the way I was taught: after cutting the head/tail off, skinning & gutting the snake; then put it in a pot with enough water to cover the meat, add some lemon juice if available, simmer on med heat for about an hour. then the meat easily pulls away from the bone and you can continue cooking it using your preferred recipe. of course many just cook it with the bones and peel the meat off the bones while eating it.

Jim

Same basic answer but brine instead of lemon juice. Don't recall anyone trying for fillets while raw.

Cut in 2 inch chunks and deep fry, grill or pan fry. I never tried smoking one but that sounds interesting too.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

What kind of snake are we talking about? May make a difference.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

What kind of snake are we talking about? May make a difference.

Safe Travels!

Doesn't matter unless you break open a venom sack...

I never found one that tastes like chicken either. Smoking one does sound interesting though, Kinda like a really long tenderlon!

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Eating snakes you catch with a loop stick, no need to shoot the poor thing or bust your teeth.

http://randygodwin.hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Catch-A-Snake-How-To-Make-A-Snake-Catcher

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

put it in a pot with enough water to cover the meat, add some lemon juice if available, simmer on med heat for about an hour.

Thanks!! That actually worked REALLY well! The bones just slid right on out and didn't even have to break out the tweezers. :P The meat went a little bland, but I put a good rub on and pan fried with a couple of slices of bacon. I'll definitely be doing that again. Maybe next time I'll try tossing a few herbs into the water to liven it up a bit. ~ Cheers

I don't know how many pellets are in a .410 but it would need lead removal also! :D

That's why God invented the .22. :D

Thanks!! That actually worked REALLY well! The bones just slid right on out and didn't even have to break out the tweezers. :P The meat went a little bland, but I put a good rub on and pan fried with a couple of slices of bacon. I'll definitely be doing that again. Maybe next time I'll try tossing a few herbs into the water to liven it up a bit. ~ Cheers

That's why God invented the .22. :D

...Big Z Likes this post!...

2000 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40' DP

2015 DRV 38RSSA 5th wheel

2004 M2 106 MDT

It's What You Learn, After You Know It All!... That Counts!!

• 3 weeks later...

So when you smoke a snake...which end do you put in your mouth?

None for you Jim! lol. How did you know I was still eating that mountain rattler?

I did 3' per Jim's instructions and smoked the the last foot. Honestly.. boiled with a few herbs was extremely tasty!! Tender as all get out and the bones just slid out like a fresh cooked salmon.

Interesting! In an old Army manual they had directions on killing and cooking snakes. As part of one of their early courses. That would have been in the late 60's or so.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

• 5 months later...

Interesting! In an old Army manual they had directions on killing and cooking snakes. As part of one of their early courses. That would have been in the late 60's or so.

Safe Travels!

That sounds familiar, but my memory fails. I was drafted in '66.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I don't know how many pellets are in a .410 but it would need lead removal also! :D

I prefer a 12 ga with #6 shot.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

• 1 month later...

Boy some of you would have fits in San Antonio opening ammo bunkers on Lackland. The Big rattlers get in easily in the vent grates and when we opened the steel doors several to a dozen or more start rattling to where it sounds like a buzz saw. Scorpions under the pallets and black widows on the berms. None of which bothered us unless we bothered them or cornered them. Or caught them. Taking off the stinger on scorpions makes for interesting pranks.

I think snake tastes like frog or gator, that fishy reptile flavor that many acquire a taste for. If I ever tasted a chicken that tasted like snake or frog I'd spit it out, cause they don't taste alike. Reptiles are just OK pan fried in garlic butter. I'm no big fan but would have no trouble in a survival or guest situation.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I was afraid of running into any snake while camping. Now, I'm damn near terrified!

The best tool for dispatching a rattler is a shovel. Once the snake strikes at it they are vulnerable to an easy head removal. I've eaten a few, but it isn't on my favorites list. Too much work for the little you get.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived