Breakaway Switch Wiring

Chillbilly

I am replacing my break-away switch. My existing break-away switch has a red/black wire and a white wire connecting it. My replacement switch has three wires, a white, a black, and a red wire. Any idea how I should connect the new switch?

Chillbilly

"Campgrounds In And Around The Great Smoky Mountains National Park"

"Knowledge Gained - Known, Found, Borrowed, and Stolen"

Knoxville, TN

Winnebago Adventurer 31Y - Jeep Liberty

Semper Fi

Preview Books

I would guess that the extra wire is a ground but the only way to be sure is to check out the connections with an ohm meter. There should be two wires that make contact when the switch is actuated and not when in normal state. Those would be where you connect the two existing wires.

I can't recall ever seeing one that had more than two wires..... I looked quickly at the internet and didn't see any with three wires there either. Did no explanation of what the wires are come with the switch?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Any break away switches I've seen (and that's a bunch) were Single Pole Single Throw (SPST) Normally Open two wire devices. The switch between the in and out was OPEN unless they broke away (pulled) and of course CLOSED when switched. One input wire is to the battery voltage source while the output wires to the brakes (so they are applied if trailer breaks away closing switch) , NEITHER of which should be grounded, so unless your switch uses some sort of a relay, I'm unsure what that third wire is for???? Use an ohm meter or continuity checker to see which wires are normally open but close if switched and wire them to your battery and brake circuit is what Id do. I take it you are NOT talking about the pull out cable which connects to your tow vehicle considering that as a "wire" right??

Not being there to see or test the switch NO WARRANTY, just a pure guess in the dark is all I have to offer.

John T

I am replacing my break-away switch. My existing break-away switch has a red/black wire and a white wire connecting it. My replacement switch has three wires, a white, a black, and a red wire. Any idea how I should connect the new switch?

What brand and model is the replacement? Can you give us a link to the manufacturer? That way we can look directly at the wiring and answer your question.

The richest are not those who have the most, but those who need the least.

What brand and model is the replacement? Can you give us a link to the manufacturer? That way we can look directly at the wiring and answer your question.

Thus far, he has not been back to look at the responses to his post. :) I'd suspect that we will know more when/if he returns.

A break-away switch with 3 wires is for a trailer without a battery charger. The battery to power the break-away switch is a motorcycle battery in a plastic holder. I use them on my farm trailers. This battery is charged by the tow vehicles charging system only. One wire to electric brakes, one to ground (from battery), one to tow vehicle charging system.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

A break-away switch with 3 wires is for a trailer without a battery charger.

That is where I have seen such a brake-away! Somewhere at the back of my mind it bugged me that I had seen it and now I remember where that was. We had a horse trailer like that in our Wyoming years! And my biker buddy has one on his bike trailer also.

Great catch, Ray!

Its a little hard to look at all the pictures in the breakaway "kit" referenced above,

http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Trailer_Breakaway_Kit-sb-Rating.aspx

It looks like a "break away box" or "break away kit" may have three wires while the "BREAK AWAY SWITCH" itself still has but two wires (Normally Open, Two Wire, SPST, In/Out)

The "Box" or "Kit" has to do with the individual battery (be it a small unit in a plastic box or a bigger house type battery) located on the trailer, and the wiring necessary to allow it to be charged up from the tow vehicle while driving. Of course, two wires, hot and ground, are necessary so the tow vehicle can charge the trailers battery while TWO wires, In/Out, SPST, Normally Open, are required to connect the trailer brakes to the hot battery voltage IFFFFFFFFF the trailer breaks away. If that happens, the trailer brakes can ONLY work if there's an on board battery power source WELL DUH LOL

The "Break away Box" or "Break away Kit" isn't just or only the "Break Away Switch" there's more involved so the trailer battery can be kept charged while driving via the tow vehicles battery

Unless I cant see all the pictures clearly, still looks to me like the break away "SWITCH" has two wires, although the "kit" or "box" may have three. The "switches" I've seen just have two wires and the pictures show two wires, but they are a bit hard to see, but just because I've never see a SWITCH with three wires doesn't mean they aren't made lol. I just don't see why more then two are required as its a SPST, In/Out, Normally Open device????????? One wire to brakes, one to hot battery voltage source so brakes are on if switch closes. Maybe there's confusion between the break away kit or box and the break away "switch" and the post mentioned "switch" having three wires????

John T Live from the Florida Flywheelers in Ft Meade Florida

Archived