Had a good laugh yesterday....

lenp

Watching CNN and they were talking about the big pile ups in Michigan.

One of the talking heads said it was cool that a lot of trucks now have the "shields" on the trailer sides that keep cars from getting caught under the trailer!

Funny, I thought they were air flow devices to cut down drag.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

They may want to talk to the family that got dragged down the highway for 16 miles after getting stuck under the rear of a semi recently. I'm pretty sure those plastic skirts they're talking about aren't going to keep much out.

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

You are correct The shields are plastic and are there to improve fuel mileage.

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

Guest Lostinaz

Funny you should mention that .

The FMCSA is discussing a proposal for " trailer underride side guards " right now that they would like to mandate.

More expense for the trucking companies because 4 wheelers are bad drivers.

Not to mention clearance issues for the trailers.

Funny you should mention that .

The FMCSA is discussing a proposal for " trailer underride side guards " right now that they would like to mandate.

More expense for the trucking companies because 4 wheelers are bad drivers.

Not to mention clearance issues for the trailers.

I agree, it is silly to force one industry to protect another but if they are gonna do it they it then they need to make sure that a structural part of all cars is located at the same height as the trailers side guard. Side guards won't do any good if cars can fit under them. Maybe something like this:

Inflatable-Bumper-Car.jpg

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I agree, it is silly to force one industry to protect another but if they are gonna do it they it then they need to make sure that a structural part of all cars is located at the same height as the trailers side guard.

I think we're well past that point! Just look at the pedestrian impact standards (which aren't even US standards), and how they've required hood heights (and with them door sills and trunk lids) to go up. That reduces visibility enough that people--pedestrians!--were getting run over because they couldn't be seen. So now we've added a standard that effectively requires all new cars to have backup cameras.

The side guards actually aren't a half-bad idea. They're not without drawbacks, and cost, but there are some significant benefits. Right now, a car colliding with the side of a normal van trailer doesn't get to take advantage of any of the engineered energy absorbing space or any of the active safety systems (air bags, seat belt pretensioners, etc.) prior to the top of the car being peeled open. I wonder what the cost of the accidents and litigation is to the trucking industry relative to adding the side guards?

It wouldn't be too bad if we at least adopted the same standard as what's currently in place in Europe (and most of the rest of the world). More than likely though, our standard will be just different enough that an ECE guard won't meet the requirement, and the US requirement won't satisfy the European one.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

So much for levity. :( Doesn't anyone have a sense of humor anymore?

2014 smart Fortwo

Levity? I thought you were leaking secret DOT pictures of their planned solution. :-)

I do hope they come up with something not too dumb, maybe even something that won't end up killing a lot of bicycle and motorcycle riders.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Sorry. I was filling out forms and writing a check to the government--nothing else makes you feel like we have enough law on the books already.

You just better bring enough of those inner-tube thingys to the rally for everyone. That could turn into quite the party!

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Levity? I thought you were leaking secret DOT pictures of their planned solution. :-)

I do hope they come up with something not too dumb, maybe even something that won't end up killing a lot of bicycle and motorcycle riders.

Every time I ride next to a semi trailer (slang, not literal) ;) on one of the bikes, I think about how horrible it would be if the truck driver had to swerve my way. I tend to spend as little time as possible around trucks, no matter what my mode of transportation.

And Phil, those plastic wind skirts on trailers might be enough to swat my smart out of the way. :P

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

And Phil, those plastic wind skirts on trailers might be enough to swat my smart out of the way. :P

put one of those inner tube thingies around your smart and I bet it would :D

2014 smart Fortwo

Watching CNN and they were talking about the big pile ups in Michigan.

One of the talking heads said it was cool that a lot of trucks now have the "shields" on the trailer sides that keep cars from getting caught under the trailer!

Funny, I thought they were air flow devices to cut down drag.

Lenp

Come on guys, you are missing the point. Lenp, is pointing out that the talking heads on CNN were perhaps, "engaging mouths before brain". Or perhaps, "engaging mouth with only half a brain". But there is very old European proverb describing those who try to appear knowledgeable while having shallow grasp of the pertinent facts. "He heard the church bells ringing, just didn't know which church".

Also known as "right pew, wrong church".

The heads only get in trouble when they stay on -- or go off of the teleprompter. What's that other saying, better to keep your mouth shut and let people think your a fool, than to open your mouth and prove it.

I see, are you telling me that those wicked teleprompters make people appear smarter than they actually are?

I liked it Phil - Took people a long time to like Rickels too. Just keep trying...

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

I think we're well past that point! Just look at the pedestrian impact standards (which aren't even US standards), and how they've required hood heights (and with them door sills and trunk lids) to go up. That reduces visibility enough that people--pedestrians!--were getting run over because they couldn't be seen. So now we've added a standard that effectively requires all new cars to have backup cameras.

I wonder if this is an answer of those pedestrian impact standards....

I'm thinking rather than increase the price of cars, maybe people that walk in or near the roadway should all have to dress like this:

Inflatable-Suit.jpg

That way the costs are wholely absorbed by the pedestrian and not the rest of us. They could be made in a flourescent color with some 3M reflective tape around the cuffs and the waist? These could be multi-purpose with removable insulation for cold weather, large pockets for carrying groceries, maybe built in headphones for your I-pod, although if they banned i-pods while walking maybe less people would get hit by cars. They would also probably be water resistant for walking in inclimate weather. and serve as a flotation device if you fell into a body of water while exercising. :lol:

EDIT: They could also be bite and bullet resistant in case of dogs or muggers attack.

2014 smart Fortwo

Well done, Bob. I like it :)