How to get rid of Bing when it does not show up in Remove Programs

rhingst

Usually the browser settings determine what happens when a new tab is opened. With Chrome it is easy to specify what page, if any, is displayed. You didn't specify what browser you are using, but go into the Settings and look for the "specify what happens with new tab" dialogue.

Rudy,

If you are using IE I don't understand why a new tab is opened when it wakes into IE. Mine displays the last tab I was on. What are you using for your home page?

I don't think you realize that using Google for search insures your last searches will be used to target advertising to your computer. To get rid of some of the tracking go to the gear again, then scroll down to manage add ons then click on tracking protection lists. Try each one, you can disable them later if you don't like the results. You can use several together. http://www.iegallery.com/en-us/trackingprotectionlists

One list called Stop Google will accomplish what you want, but lots of sites and views get garbled when all Google cookies are blocked.

Remember that tracking protection is voluntary, in that if the companies that agreed to abide by no track requests decided to track you anyway, they can until blocked.

Go to task manager and check startup programs too. As well you can use CCleaner if you are more comfortable with it. Open CCleaner and on the left side click on "Tools." Then click on "Startup". You can just right click on Bing if it is there, and a menu will drop down under it where you can click disable and it will not start up next time you boot. You will have to restart to see if that worked. Don't just disable startups to see what happens. But if Bing is there it will be safe to disable.

It's true that Google will plant cookies on your computer to send you ads "relevant" to what you've searched for or looked at. But I have a website and an analytics utility that tells me how many pages the search "robots" have indexed and Google indexes far more than Bing or any other search robots.

This means that you have a far greater chance of finding something with Google since it's searched and indexed more pages. Especially if you do not simply take the page 1 results.

Visitors to my pages are sent by Google at a rate 10-times that of any other search engine.

WDR

Archived