Summer opening at Back Bay NWR in Va. Beach

nana25k

Once again our friend Walt Tegge has called and asked us to put out the word for him. This position starts April 1 thru end of Oct.

Back Bay National NWR is located on a barrier island at the southern end of Va. Beach, bordered on east by the Atlantic Ocean and on the west by a body of water called Back Bay. To the south is False Cape State Park. This is actually the beginning of the barrier islands that stretch into North Carolina.

The RV site is located at a very quiet, private site called Horn Point which is the canoe & kayak launch. Right on the west side of the bay, it is a haven for birds and other wild life. The site is gated at night.There is electric & non potable water. (We found this suitable for bathing and doing laundry in our own machines). The refuge provides potable water in 5 gallon containers.We found this set up to be easy and extremely workable.

The sewer is easily emptied into a clean out opening at the public toilet near by. (No it doesn't smell!!!) I believe that there are laundry facilities available a few miles away in a refuge building.

Duties include: being a public face of the refuge on the site, greeting guests, keeping the on site public restroom clean ( those who know me well understand that in many facilities this would be a non starter for us but because the usage is low its an easy job done mostly with a broom and a hose Its a very nice concrete building). Mowing the grass at the site, assisting at the fee booth of the refuge proper, assistance with maintenance as your talents permit. Also assisting with other refuge programs. We also assisted with the hog hunt while we were there which was actually a fun experience.

The commitment I believe is still 24 hours per person (for a couple) and does require at least one day on the weekend on site the whole day. People come in just to sit by the water, no power boats are permitted, We found that living on site was easy and fun and we easily covered more than 24 hours just sitting there day to day.

While the site seems remote it is actually about a 10 minute drive to all of the shopping, restaurants etc that you would need. If you are retired military both Dam Neck & Oceana Naval bases are near by as well.

We loved our time there and if our children still lived in the area we would be back in a heart beat.

Please contact Walt Tegge at 757-821-1847 or Walter_Tegge@fwa.gov

Tell him Linda & Ron sent you

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

My wife Dana and I were the hosts there for the past two summers and agree with Nana25k, It's a great place to spend the summer. Great folks to work with and a nice area to visit. Lots to do and see in the area. If you have any questions that I'll be glad to answer.

Mike

Glad you chimed in Mike as your experience there is more recent.I know Walt enjoyed having you there

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

Actually we found it not near primative at all. When it was time to dump the tanks we just ran our extended sewer hose over to the clean out and let it dump. The site is actually part wetland area and very protected. Its so beautiful and such an easy gig it worth every minute. I can't stress how beautiful it is

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

Cellular data availability? Voice?

Amount of power? (AC would be necessary there most of the summer)

Full sun, or shaded? Dogs allowed? On sand, or hard pack? (issue with an HDT on sand).

Can it take a 45' trailer and a 30' truck?

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Cellular data availability? Voice?

Our Verizon worked just fine. I can't remember but I think we needed our Wilson's antena for our the air card.

Amount of power? (AC would be necessary there most of the summer)

50amp

Full sun, or shaded? Dogs allowed? On sand, or hard pack? (issue with an HDT on sand).

Mostly full sun, I would imagine your dog would be fine. I think the pad is concrete but the area is hard pack and the actual parking lot is blacktop.

Can it take a 45' trailer and a 30' truck?

I will get you an actual address so you can google earth it. I think with your experience you can get it in.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

...Dogs allowed?...

When I worked there during the summer a couple of years in the 70's, they had a very healthy population of cottonmouths/water moccasins don't know if that has changed or not. Dog Heartworm was very common in the area and I suspect lyme disease may also be an issue for dogs in that area. So you will may have to take some precautions with your dog(s).

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

We had Verizon and cellular and mifi worked 4G. I think a 45 foot fiver would fit without a problem, ours is 40 and we had plenty room. We parked our dually next to our trailer. Dogs are allowed for host. but not for visitors. We had ours there without a problem. The address for the site is 1008 Horn Point Rd. Virginia Beach, VA. There is 50 amp service.

Mike

Thanks Mike for posting the Addy. Was tied up with a family matter and didnt have time to look it up.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

When I worked there during the summer a couple of years in the 70's, they had a very healthy population of cottonmouths/water moccasins don't know if that has changed or not. Dog Heartworm was very common in the area and I suspect lyme disease may also be an issue for dogs in that area. So you will may have to take some precautions with your dog(s).

Yep the snakes are there since they are native. However we never had them on the actual site that I remember. You will see them along the road especially after a prolonged rain. The bay water is wind driven not tidal

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

• 1 month later...

Sounds like a very good place to spend the summer. But, that is a long time in one location. Thanks for posting.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

Archived