Windows XP Question

Millions and millions are still running XP, so many pirated copies of it out there across the globe that it will probably still have a significant presence for many years. Of course that large number makes the XP users a real target for the bad guys and remember almost every Windows 7 or newer security patch shows the bad folks just how to go after XP.

Oct 2014: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/11/02/windows_xp_market_share_fell_off_a_cliff_in_october/

xpmarketshare_graph.png

And here where you can play with the settings:

http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

On a related note: If I understand it correctly as of this week Microsoft is no longer selling Win 7 disks except on OEM of Business licences so that upgrade option just got a lot harder. Maybe ebay if you can find an unused OEM disk there?

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

As for needing command line knowledge for home use that is just FUD and hasn't been true for many years now. For the usual home user there is no need for the command line if they select a distribution like OpenSuse aimed at home users. The others on my list above are aimed at professionals and server situations where using the command line for most things is the preferred way to do things since that can be scripted with much less effort than a GUI.

What are you thinking of that a home user would be interested in doing that needs the command line to accomplish and what distribution are you using that needs it?

Stan,

FUD? I was answering your post on the previous page where you said:

"There are a lot of computers out there that don't contain any software that the user doesn't want or doesn't approve of, BSD and Linux are two good examples."

I was not saying that users needed command line knowledge to use the Linux distros that are the closest to Windows and ready to use.

The hair I was splitting was that the sort of person who does not know what is loaded in their Windows or Apple or Android distributions, will likely not want to need command line knowledge and would select a distro that was preloaded and ready to go. Thus even with Linuxor BSD they would still not know, or care, what is beneath the GUI, because to explore under the GUI in Linux or BSD requires . . . what? Could it be, knowing how to use the command line?

Reread what I answered, and then what I said. I maintain that a user with issues about how vulnerable a Windows computer would be with no security patches, let alone one of the least inherently secure of the XP, Vista, Win 7, Win 8/8.1 string of OS versions, would have trouble knowing what is in their Linux distro without knowing command line commands. Just like rearing the Windows installation requires command knowledge and "CMD" experience. Simple, and I could talk someone into ekevting CMD to admin, then running sfc. In the Command Prompt window, use the sfc command with two additional parameters: /offbootdir and /offwindir.

Windows users rarely know or use "CMD" as well. But they won't know what modules for language they have loaded but not used.

Let's not use ourselves as examples. We are talking about the person who does not know either Windows or Linux builds and contents.

Roger,

You can't say that enough. Folks are not secure who open or click on anything because they have antimalware/antivirus software.

I put their security patches being done when released or monthly with Windows at the least when the monthly updates come out as security step #1.

I put their behavior and awareness online as security step #2.

I put having up to date Antimalware software as #3.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I think your concept of Linux is badly dated.

The hair I was splitting was that the sort of person who does not know what is loaded in their Windows or Apple or Android distributions, will likely not want to need command line knowledge and would select a distro that was preloaded and ready to go. Thus even with Linuxor BSD they would still not know, or care, what is beneath the GUI, because to explore under the GUI in Linux or BSD requires . . . what? Could it be, knowing how to use the command line?

While you can do package management from the command line in most Linux systems there is really no need for it since they include a nice graphic interface to allow you to do that. Exploring exactly what is on your system in OpenSuse is pretty simple, click Yast, click package management, click the installation summary tab, click the tick-box for keep. That gives you a nice scrollable list of every program loaded on your system along with a spot to click to remove it, or update it if a newer version is available. If you pick something to delete Yast will tell you if there are any issues with removing it and give you a clickable list with a range of options to deal with them. Doing the same thing from the command line is a lot more work but if you really want to it is an option.

Reread what I answered, and then what I said. I maintain that a user with issues about how vulnerable a Windows computer would be with no security patches, let alone one of the least inherently secure of the XP, Vista, Win 7, Win 8/8.1 string of OS versions, would have trouble knowing what is in their Linux distro without knowing command line commands.

Again no, it is usually no more than a few mouse clicks to see what is installed and make any changes you want. You are usually also offered a choice during the install to select from several pre-configured sets of software, ranging from a very minimal system to one that is loaded with a large selection of programs or even to just install everything. You can add or subtract from any of the options offered too.

Every Linux I have used is secure as installed with the minimal permissions enabled, the firewall locked down and all administrative tasks secured by a second user/password combination. As to security patches, again all the LInux types I've used that offer updates and patches (DoD Linux doesn't) will notify you within a few minutes of booting if you need any patches and check again every 24 hours. If you choose to install a new program the package manager checks and loads the DVD copy if it is up to date, otherwise it will download the latest digitally signed update and use it.

You don't need to know more than to click on the menu button and pick your program to use most Linux systems. Installing is very similar unless you need to do disk partitioning to make room for it, even then you get a menu system to lead you through what needs to be done. My usual instructions to a new user are get the Live DVD, boot it and click away to see how you like it. If you like it then the next time you boot it pick the install option and follow the prompts. It is rare for someone to have an issue with OpenSuse, some others are a bit more difficult or less helpful but still not hard for anyone that can follow simple instructions and click the mouse.

Since it is free for the download and there are no restrictions on your use of it giving it a try sometime isn't going to cost you anything but time so it isn't like you are investing a couple hundred bucks in your operating system and have to register it to your computer.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Stan,

Sorry, I still contend that a user who does not know how to do a system information or whether using a Windows computer is safe will know what is on one of the packaged Linux distros. I know you said you don't use them. I can use Linux, but only a GUI distro not one that needs customizing, which is the whole idea of Linux. Once I get Linux up and running like on my Raspberry Pi or a start disk to get into a corrupted Windows system, I go, " Hey this works nicely. But I do not like the GUI and once it is running there are a million imitations of Windows programs, and Apple Programs, all free. All using some strange to outright foreign usage sctreens. And then I want to load up MS Office and am told no it won't load any Office programs, but there are all these substitutes and they are free. Same with music and video.

I was and am answering this:

You wrote:

"There are a lot of computers out there that don't contain any software that the user doesn't want or doesn't approve of, BSD and Linux are two good examples. Apple, Windows, Android (Linux based) and others all contain stuff that the company that controls them or manufacturer of your device decided to stuff down your throat. Past that point it is up to the user what gets installed, hitting a dodgy download site can load you up with stuff you probably don't want and much of it installs in such a way it can be hard to remove. Even buying a CD from a reputable company can leave you with stuff buried on the computer that is nearly impossible to root out without expert help.

My Linux systems have only what I want loaded, my Windows 7 has what shipped with it (generic pro OEM disk) and about three programs I manually and carefully added from trusted sources, my Android devices vary a bit. The Nexus is in pretty decent shape, it has little running that I don't want - took a lot of effort to get to that point though. My Samsung is running a bunch of stuff I do not want, it won't uninstall or even not auto-start plus it keeps sucking down updates. You can go in and manually kill it but the next reboot it comes back to life and starts wasting data and probably leaking personal data."

I have no doubt you know what is on your Linux systems you built and or run. I know what is on my Windows systems and can in a few clicks print out the relevant section under scrutiny. The average Windows user who does not know, I doubt will suddenly turn into a guru with a download of Linux. Substitute Linux for Holiday Inn express in this commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm-h7YR_410

Stan we are talking about the average user. Not you or me. So if it is valid for you to say since you know what is in your Linux system, therefore a noob will too, is obviated by the fact that the user has been using Windows for a number of years and hasn't figured out more than that user needs.

I am still working with the OP post. You switched from telling a beginner to go with a system he would know what is contained in, Linux, which is simply not true until he gets pretty familiar with Linux. Admittedly that is fairly easy, if one wants to get that involved. I do in Windows, you do in Linux, our respective preferences in OS.

There is no doubt that you know your Linux, and no doubt that I know my Windows. I will continue to help Windows users when I can. Linux is indeed free. But it will take a lot more learning curve than Windows for a Windows user who does not want to change Applications/Apps/programs let alone learn a new OS.

My Windows system is highly modified too. I converted it to Pro and Media center before even using it. I updated all of the drivers from the vendors manually, Windows updates, and it is so easy to inventory what is loaded on my systems. IN fact thanks for reminding me of a topic I meant to post long ago that is a must know IMHO for all Windows users. I am going to the computers forum here to post a new topic on msinfo. I think we are done here.<wink>

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived