Opinions Please!.....

Big Z

First question!?

I have a 30K hitch mounted on the M2 106.... To grease or not to grease?? That is the question!.... Or is the teflon disk the way to go??

Question #2... I know 30K the hitch will do the job? .... But is it the best choice??.... should I replace it with an air ride??... And is there a real advantage to doing so??

2000 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40' DP

2015 DRV 38RSSA 5th wheel

2004 M2 106 MDT

It's What You Learn, After You Know It All!... That Counts!!

I like the teflon / plastic disks but I always grease the pin and jaws, not doing that can lead to galling and wear you do not want.

I really liked Bullshot as a pin/jaw lube but I haven't been able to find any for a while now, not sure what to recommend.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I like the teflon / plastic disks but I always grease the pin and jaws, not doing that can lead to galling and wear you do not want.

I really liked Bullshot as a pin/jaw lube but I haven't been able to find any for a while now, not sure what to recommend.

Never even thought about that! (greasing the pin and jaws) or the type of grease to use! THANKS!! :D ...Just added to the ...Gotta get some!... list!!

2004 M2 106 MDT

Water resistant NLGI 2 (chassis grease) works pretty well but is really messy, you can get a similar grease in white/clear but it will turn black from road crud after not too long too.

I'd hope for some comments from other folks on what to use. I'm partial to something like this but I'm not sure the loading is high enough to justify an EP grade grease:

MobiLux EP 2 http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENGRSMOMobilux_EP.aspx

Reading the data sheet and it sounds like a decent one for the pin/jaw area.

Mobilux EP 0, 1, 2 and 3 greases are recommended for most types of industrial applications including heavy-duty applications where high unit pressures or shock loads are present. These greases provide excellent protection against rust and corrosion and resist water wash-out which makes them particularly suitable for equipment where moist or wet conditions are common. Mobilux EP 0 and 1 are suitable for centralised systems. Mobilux EP 2 and 3 are general-purpose greases. The recommended operating temperature range is from -20ºC to 130ºC but they may be used at higher temperatures if the lubrication frequency is increased accordingly.

Water resistant NLGI 2 (chassis grease) works pretty well but is really messy, you can get a similar grease in white/clear but it will turn black from road crud after not too long too.

I'd hope for some comments from other folks on what to use. I'm partial to something like this but I'm not sure the loading is high enough to justify an EP grade grease:

MobiLux EP 2 http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENGRSMOMobilux_EP.aspx

Reading the data sheet and it sounds like a decent one for the pin/jaw area.

Are these grease's available at truck stops and or RV stores? >>Big Z Likes your post!!<< :D

2004 M2 106 MDT

I also use the disk and lube the pin with a water resistant grease recommended for boats and trailers. Usually available at auto parts stores and some Walmarts. I clean it off and reapply each time we hookup. Just enough to lightly cover the pin. Seems to work OK.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

I just use marine grease that is available at O'Reilly's Auto Parts and others. Never did like a Teflon pad and never have had an issue using grease other than the mess if you get it on you. As noted above, grease the pin, jaws and pivot points on the hitch to prevent wear.

As far as the hitch goes, I would add a Trail Air pinbox on the fiver or an air hitch on your truck. The suspensions on the Freightliner tend to be a little stiff and hard on a trailer unless you are riding on smooth roads. If you find any roads like that, let me know....

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Just my personal opinion, but I prefer an air hitch with big trucks like an M2 106 or my 112. I have had two TrailerSaver air hitches and really like them. I also use the teflon disk and grease the pin and jaws. With the TrailerSaver hitch you may need to buy their teflon disc as it is thinner. The standard ones are thicker and sometimes will not allow the hitch to lock up. Also I don't see where you mentioned the make of 5er you have and it's weight. Bigger, heavier 5ers may do better with air hitches on M2 size trucks and bigger. You also may want to check the warranty on the 5er frame, in the past there have been issues allegedly reported that some frame manufactures have voided warranties if the rig was towed by a MDT/HDT without an air hitch. Our first M2 had a standard hitch that we used to tow our 24K Teton. When we switched to the M 112 with the TrailerSaver air hitch DW said there was a lot less stuff bounced around inside the rig. Going to Mor/Ryde IS suspension was even better! Best Wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

I usually go grease shopping at a NAPA store, they usually have a good selection, places like Pep Boys and Auto Zone seem to oly have the most popular stuff.

Amazon has it: http://smile.amazon.com/Mobil-1-Industrial-Grease/dp/B009OXHTGC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421096385&sr=8-1&keywords=MobiLux+EP

A little trick if you use grease on the hitch instead of a nylon plate. When you unhitch and that greasy mess is there to get you dirty. Just get some saran wrap and cover the mess.

I did that for several years and still do it before it is covered with a hitch cover.

Safe Travels, Vern

Thanks for all the replies so far! .......Big Z LIKES them all! :D ....

This is the set-up I have right now!...

TheDblZ05_zps2c052835.jpg

TheDblZ04_zps4b16b71f.jpg

TheDblZ03_zpsddcaf81e.jpg

2004 M2 106 MDT

Archived