TV Wireless Earbuds or Wireless Headphones?

I like to watch TV but confess my hearing isn't what it use to be and the volume is getting louder. I was thinking of getting either the

Wireless Earbuds

41xQBnor52L.jpg

or

Wireless Headphones

41encHjQnhL.jpg

In the reading I have done so far a couple areas of concern are comfort, length of time to charge, ease of set up and durability as well as sound quality ie interference.

Does anyone here use ear phones to watch TV either in their RV or their home?

If so what is your experience?

What would you do differently with regard to the hardware?

Thank you.

I use a lightweight Bluetooth headset to hear the muted TV when my wife is napping or goes to bed early. I can't use the earbud styles with my hearing aids.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I use a lightweight Bluetooth headset to hear the muted TV when my wife is napping or goes to bed early. I can't use the earbud styles with my hearing aids.

May I ask where you got yours?

How did you connect them to the TV?

Do they stay charged?

May I ask where you got yours?

How did you connect them to the TV?

Do they stay charged?

I bought my Mpow Bluetooth 4.0 headset from Amazon.

Both my TV and Dish satellite receiver are Bluetooth capable, so connecting is just a matter of pairing to one or the other. If your TV is not Bluetooth equipped, there are several Bluetooth audio transmitters available that plug into your TV's audio jacks.

I've used my headset for about 6 hours without fully discharging it. My usage is more commonly an hour or two at a time though, and that recharges in 30-45 minutes at most.

Dutch

I could use all the info anyone wants to share on this same subject.

As I find more info I will post here to assist others:

http://www.smithgear.com/tv-headphones.html?gclid=CNyQ9q_FjMMCFceCfgodgR8AsA TV Headphones

There are three types of technology to consider when choosing a Wireless TV Headphone: IR (Infra-Red), RF (Radio Frequency) or BT (Bluetooth).

• Infra-Red (IR) headphones use line-of-sight technology, which means that you have to be lined up with the transmitter (within line of sight) in order for them to receive sound.
  • Radio Frequency (RF) headphones transmit sound through walls and ceilings, which means that you can move from room to room (and even use a Treadmill) and still receive audio. Compatible with Plasma and LCD HDTV's.
  • Bluetooth (BT) offers up to 33 foot range and wireless connectivity to TV, Audio and Cell Calls. Compatible with Plasma and LCD HDTV's.

There are two types of technology used when connecting a Wireless TV Headphone: ANALOG or DIGITAL.

ANALOG With analog headphones, the transmitter connects to the analog "out" of most any audio device. These are the RED AND WHITE cables (RCA) seen on most TV’s and cable boxes.

DIGITAL On a digital set, the transmitter connects to the "digital out" on the back of the TV or other equipment. The digital out port is also referred to as "TOSLINK" or "OPTICAL". It’s easily identified by the glowing red light it emits.

I bought my Mpow Bluetooth 4.0 headset from Amazon.

Both my TV and Dish satellite receiver are Bluetooth capable, so connecting is just a matter of pairing to one or the other. If your TV is not Bluetooth equipped, there are several Bluetooth audio transmitters available that plug into your TV's audio jacks.

I've used my headset for about 6 hours without fully discharging it. My usage is more commonly an hour or two at a time though, and that recharges in 30-45 minutes at most.

Thank you.

One reason I like the Bluetooth headset is that I can also use it with other devices, like my PC's, tablets, or cell phone. Sometimes I wear the headphones while doing yard work, using the MP3 player feature on my phone. That helps block the sound of me swearing when the wind blows the leaves around right after I've raked them. :angry::D

Dutch

I use the Sennheiser RS 170 headphones in the post by the original poster.

Since I use a hearing aid in both ears the ear buds won't work for me. If there is a chance you might need hearing aids in the future you might consider that. With the feedback prevention circuitry available now the headphones do not cause hearing aid squeal when they are over your ears and the aid's transducers.

Although my hearing aids mean that I can hear okay with the TV volume set to a normal level, we (my wife and I) often used the headphones when we were in the motor home because we usually had our windows open and were close to our neighbors that were sitting outside, and we didn't want to annoy them.

Now in the house I use them when I am watching a movie on the TV that my wife has zero interest in listening to while she plays/surfs with her Kindle Fire tablet.

They also provide much better sound than the TV speakers when I am listening to music.

Clay(WA5NMR), Lee(Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timed for eleven years in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Snowbirds for 1 year. Now settled down in western CO.
Honda Accord toad.

I used some Bose active sound cancellation closed cup, over the ear headphones. They were great at reducing outside noise like the other TV or radio and sounded very good when listening to music. Drawbacks were weight which is less with the current generation from Bose and a bit of a sweaty ear problem when we in hot temps but not using the air conditioner. Before I forget, they were great at blocking air conditioner noise too, I'd wear them to nap and really liked the lack of noise.

Several other brands now offer the active noise cancellation option, some licensed from Bose, dome independently designed and a few that are claimed to be in violation of some of the Bose patents. Me, I'd just buy Bose but if you read reviews and shop around you might get a better deal.

I do like the Bluetooth designs that don't need a wire to work, you can also get a Bluetooth link to plug into your TV, then link wirelessly to a small box you plug the headphones into. That gives you a wider selection of headphone types and designs but you still have the headphone cord to deal with even if it isn't run across the room.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I have the same hearing issue and when I discovered that the new 42" Vizio had bluetooth I linked up my Motorola flip device to it. It was pretty cool as the flip would pair with both my smartphone (Android) and the HDTV and cut out the TV's sound when the phone rang. The downside was that the battery would only last 3 hours.

So I then bought a Bluetooth headset from Amazon and that works pretty well (if you ignore the fact that as soon as I put it on my wife starts talking to me).

A few weeks ago she decided that she wanted a separate headset so she could hear programs at her own level. So I went to Amazon and found a nice pair of wired headsets (you can't pair two headsets to the Vizio's Bluetooth system at the same time) and she'll be able to use the Bluetooth headset and I'll use the wired set. We'll see how that works.

But, in general, having something other than the speaker blaring at the living room at 95db is better. Now the DW can go to bed early (she gets up at 5am for work) and I can watch TV with no guilty feelings; as long as I remember to shut down the speaker volume, that is.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

Just a little caution if buying a headset. If it's an over the ear type, make sure it covers the ear completely. If not the pressure on your ear after awhile will get painful. I personally would go with a bluetooth capable hearing aid if you wear them as my wife does. She tried just about every type of headset, and said there's no comparison to a bluetooth.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

Great tips:

• Bluetooth
  • Headset earpiece to cover the ears
  • Portability
  • Check for pairing capability
  • Active noise cancellation option
  • Ear buds not compatible with hearing aides

Thank you all very much. Still shopping will let you know which way I go.

I have the BT hearing aids, but they won't pair with my phone, tablet, or TV. The do pair with a special device that hangs on a cord around your neck. That device has a mike; a port for a wired connection, or mike; or will pair with a BT mike. Pretty pricey, and doesn't have a lot of volume gain.

I have a BT transmitter module that plugs into a TV or Receiver. Thinking of getting the receiver BT component that could plug into my device and give me wireless audio from the TV across the living room. Not sure it will work, but a $20 or so experiment.

If you have hearing aids you must have over the ear headphone cups. No room for earbuds, and the on-the-ear are painful pressing against the hearing aids. Note: my hearing aids are behind the ear with the small tube extending into the ear. Wholly in the ear hearing aids may work differently.

I guess a final option would be to remove the hearing aids and use a volume controlled BT headset if the volume adjustment on the TV or Receiver, or one on the headset, gives enough volume to replace the hearing aids. In my case that would require volume control for each ear to properly compensate.

For me, wires across the room are not an option.

Howdy!

We have three new TV's in our RV we recently purchased. How do you go about checking to see if any of these have blue tooth? I would love to pair withva set of head phones so I could hear the TV better.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

If you didn't get any manuals with your TV's, try searching online for the brand and model to find the specs. There should also be a menu item on the TV that references the Bluetooth operation.

Dutch

Howdy!

I've checked and found that none of our TVs hwve bluetooth.also they due not have a ear type plug you can use for to convert to bluetooth. I like the means of using bluetooth to connedt to the TV and can also us the same headphones for driving, phone, tablet etc. So anyone know of another way to connect the TV to bluetooth other than a ear plug adapor?

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

Gary & karen

2016 Smart Car Prime

Howdy!

I've checked and found that none of our TVs hwve bluetooth.also they due not have a ear type plug you can use for to convert to bluetooth. I like the means of using bluetooth to connedt to the TV and can also us the same headphones for driving, phone, tablet etc. So anyone know of another way to connect the TV to bluetooth other than a ear plug adapor?

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

I Googled "How to connect bluetooth to a TV" and found this suggestion

Do you have RCA type audio out jacks, usually round metal with red and white inserts with a hole in them for the center conductor.

This is an audio and RGB video set of RCAstyle jacks:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10425&cs_id=1042502&p_id=2999&seq=1&format=2

Howdy!

Stanley, thanks. I found this bluetooth adaper on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Stereo-TV-Transmitter-Bluetooth-Dongle/dp/B004T0CEBK#Ask

Along with this RCA to 3.5 stero adaper.

http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Stereo-Female-Y-Cable-6-Inch/dp/B000I23TTE/ref=pd_sim_e_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0M8SVZC47NCB0PXRB761

I have a RCA (White L and Red R) female port open on the TV. So I'm assuming this will work using the bluetooth along with the adaper plugging into the RCA ports.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefnen

Gary & karen

2016 Smart Car Prime

Just a question about bluetooth. I use it on my computer and when I activate the bluetooth speaker, it automatically shuts off the computer sound. If this is the same on a TV, then my wife couldn't listen to the TV through the TV speakers while I listen on the earphones. True or not? I have an old RCA set like this and love them. http://www.amazon.com/RCA-WHP141B-900MHZ-Wireless-Headphones/dp/B000ENRQ3M/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1421382547&sr=8-4&keywords=wireless+tv+earphones Much larger range from the TV than bluetooth. I can take the dog outside and still hear the TV. They are comfortable. I plug them halfways into the earphone plug on the TV and wife can still use TV volume....although when she adjusts the volume I have to, also. At times there will be static but you can change to a different channel and that usually takes care of it.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

It depends on the TV, some do, some don't and some give you a choice. Using the earphone jack directly or for hooking to an external bluetooth will almost always turn off the speakers. The RCA style jacks almost (never seen one that did) never turn off the speakers.

I have had the LG HBS800 headset for about 6 months. It has been the right solution for me for a similar situation.

Our TV has no outbound connections but we watch everything through our DISH HOPPER and it has BlueTooth capability. It pairs and connects quickly with the HBS800 and allows me with DISH ANYWHERE to watch anything on or that comes through my HOPPER, on my Phone, Tablet or PC whenever and wherever I want. The same headset works nicely with all of them.

I have a White one that looks like this:

01.16.2015-08.34.png

The Short flexible wires to the ear buds just don't get in the way or catch on things as I move around in or outside. There is no weight on my head or ears so I forget they are there until I need them. I cannot afford to have an AudioPhil's tastes on a retirement income but these did not break the bank and there is a big price range between vendors.

The newer model, HBS900, may be a little sleeker and has retracting ear bud wires but does not have noise cancellation and I use mine a lot for phone and Hangouts ( Google Voice) so I like some protection from wind/road noises.

The battery life is very good and I can go all day and then some using it for both listening to stereo and phone conversations. It switches nicely between HOPPER, Phone, Tablet, PC, etc.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

Archived