Eugene OR to Las Vegas NV

Dave O

Do you want (or need) to do the drive in 4-5 days? If so, I don't see that you have much of a choice. I-5 south, then over to Fresno, and Bakersfield, then over to I-15 and on to Las Vegas. Be sure the pass on I-5 S of Metford is clear of snow.

If you want a more scenic and direct route; can take 6-10 days for the trip; can tolerate below freezing weather, especially at night and can wait for possible snow to clear from higher elevations, then the more scenic route via Reno, NV. From Eugene, OR, take SR-58 to US-97 to Klamath Falls, Calif. SR-139 and SR-299 to Alturas, CA and US-395 to Reno. From Reno take I-80 and US-50A to Fallon, NV and then follow US-95 to Lost Wages, oops, I meant Las Vegas. In NV there some of US-95 is up in the 5000' to 7000' range. This is a much slower route, has a risk of being stuck from snow or ice for a day to a few days, but much more interesting and scenic. Mostly desert country.

Do you want (or need) to do the drive in 4-5 days? If so, I don't see that you have much of a choice. I-5 south, then over to Fresno, and Bakersfield, then over to I-15 and on to Las Vegas. Be sure the pass on I-5 S of Metford is clear of snow.

If you want a more scenic and direct route; can take 6-10 days for the trip; can tolerate below freezing weather, especially at night and can wait for possible snow to clear from higher elevations, then the more scenic route via Reno, NV. From Eugene, OR, take SR-58 to US-97 to Klamath Falls, Calif. SR-139 and SR-299 to Alturas, CA and US-395 to Reno. From Reno take I-80 and US-50A to Fallon, NV and then follow US-95 to Lost Wages, oops, I meant Las Vegas. In NV there some of US-95 is up in the 5000' to 7000' range. This is a much slower route, has a risk of being stuck from snow or ice for a day to a few days, but much more interesting and scenic. Mostly desert country.

Hi Al

Need the faster trip and have been all over this end of the country for years. Though not this routing.

I am curious about I80 over to Reno and 395 south? Any thoughts?

Dave O

The roads themselves are good. Your biggest problem at this time of year could be the weather. I-80 from Sacrament to Reno/Sparks travels through the Sierra Nevadas and over Donner Pass at around 7,000'. A snow storm could temporarily close the highway, but it should be cleared fairly quickly.

US-395 is also a good two-lane road, but you'll have two summits to go over that are over 8,000' (Conway Summit and Dead Man's Summit) and a couple of more passes at over 7,000'. If the weather is good, this would be an OK route. If it were ME, I'd avoid 395 at this time of year and...assuming a trip east on I-80, I'd go to Fallon and down US-95.

Honestly I would not recommend planning to cross the Sierra in January in an RV. The weather is just too unpredictable. For the same reason, I would not recommend taking 395, or crossing Northern Nevada in January. It's all high elevation with numerous passes subject to really sketchy weather.

I would take I-5 south and then cross east on Highway 58 through Bakersfield. That's a much lower pass and will take you across the Mojave Desert to I-40 and then to Vegas without passing through the L.A. metropolis.

That being said, when you reach Sacramento on I-5 and the weather is predicted to be sunny and clear across the Sierra and the state of Nevada for the next 2 days or so, you could be tempted to change plans and detour over I-80 for a very scenic trip across Nevada to Vegas. But only if the forecast is clear. And even then, you could encounter icy roads in many locations.

Honestly I would not recommend planning to cross the Sierra in January in an RV. The weather is just too unpredictable. For the same reason, I would not recommend taking 395, or crossing Northern Nevada in January. It's all high elevation with numerous passes subject to really sketchy weather.

I would take I-5 south and then cross east on Highway 58 through Bakersfield. That's a much lower pass and will take you across the Mojave Desert to I-40 and then to Vegas without passing through the L.A. metropolis.

That being said, when you reach Sacramento on I-5 and the weather is predicted to be sunny and clear across the Sierra and the state of Nevada for the next 2 days or so, you could be tempted to change plans and detour over I-80 for a very scenic trip across Nevada to Vegas. But only if the forecast is clear. And even then, you could encounter icy roads in many locations.

X2... I've made this trip in a day, but usually take 2.

Archived