Adding an Invertor

Chalkie

I will start with saying I am pretty much an idiot when it comes to electricity. My son, however, is a Journeyman Electrician, so I do have some expert help.

I have been considering adding an invertor somewhere in the trailer. When we are traveling from point A to point B we usually stop and have some lunch. I have to tell you, I am really tired of having a sandwich when that microwave could be making some soup or Chef Boyardee or something.

So where would the best place to hook in an invertor and have it be switchable (i.e., not on all the time) so as not to drain batteries?

If this query is not making sense then please call foul and tell me so. Thanks!

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

As close to the batteries as possible. As large a gauge of wire as the terminals will take. The higher end inverters have remote switches included or available as extra. You will probably need at least a 2000w to run a microwave. You could run romex to a dedicated outlet for the microwave but you'll get the most use if you install a sub box that carries a few circuits that you might want to use the inverter for. Your son will surely be able to help with the 120 side of things.

Rich

It's certainly very doable. Rich gave good advice. To be of any help though we would need to know more about your current setup. Ie., battery size and type, battery location, size of microwave, distance from battery bank to power distribution panel, and/or distance from battery bank to microwave outlet, do you run a genset?, what type of camping do you generally do (cg's or dry)?, what type of converter are you using (stock/upgraded/stand alone charger)?

Nit picky stuff like that :lol:

There are several things to consider when deciding to add an inverter.

1. What all do you want to power with the inverter? Do you just want to power one or two items, or do you want to run a number of things?

2. What are your power needs? Do the things you want to power need clean pure sine wave power or can they run off of modified sine wave power?

3. What is your current battery bank capacity? A properly sized battery bank is needed to run an inverter effectively.

4. Do you have existing battery charging capabilities to replenish the power drawn by the inverter? This could be a genset or solar. This would also take into consideration your current converter/battery charger. Is it the standard "dumb" charger or does it have a "smart charge" capability?

5. Do you have battery monitoring capabilities above and beyond a standard voltage display?

There are other considerations, but these are the big ones.

In your post, you only talk about wanting to run the microwave for a couple of minutes when you stop while traveling. Is this the only thing you want to run off the inverter? Do you also maybe want to power a coffee pot or the television? Is your only consideration the convenience of cooking a quick meal while on the road? If this is the case, then adding a properly sized inverter and adding a couple of inverter specific plugs in key locations is relatively easy to do. This does require you to manually plug the couple of items you want to power with the inverter into those inverter specific plugs. Are your inverter wants/needs greater than just a couple of specific items needing power? If this is the case and you want to power several things (like the microwave, coffee pot, hair dryer, television/surround sound, etc - not necessarily all at the same time) while boondocking as well as cook a cup of soup in the microwave at a rest stop while on the road, then installing a properly sized inverter with a built in transfer switch that powers a small electrical sub panel with all of these circuits powered by the sub panel is the way to go. This type of set up is often referred to as a "whole house" set up. With this type of set up, you do not have to worry about moving plugs between outlets, you simply turn the inverter on and everything in the sub panel is powered just as if you are plugged into shore power.

As you specifically mentioned running a microwave, I would recommend a pure sine wave inverter. This type of inverter costs more initially, but supplies the same type of pure power that the local utility company supplies. It will not harm electronics or electric motors and is indecipherable from regular power. Modified sine waive inverters use squared power waves that mimic regular power, but are a little different. This kind of power can be hard on electronics and and other sensitive equipment.

You don't say in your original post what size or type of battery bank you currently have. Most RVer's with a moderate sized inverter (2000 watt or so) usually have a minimum of four 6 volt true deep cycle golf cart style batteries run in a series/parallel configuration to start with. You can get by with with a smaller battery bank for a small inverter used sparingly, but this is a good place to start.

I assume your coach currently has the OEM converter installed as your on board battery charger. If this converter has smart charge capabilities (or can be upgraded with a smart charge algorithm) and puts out decent amps, it may suffice as your sole battery charger in a moderate sized inverter set up powering a couple of outlets. If you want to go with a more involved whole house inverter set up that powers more items, then I would recommend buying a good inverter/charger that will replace your converter. Inverter/chargers will have high amp outputs to quickly recharge your battery bank using smart charger algorithms. This will reduce the amount of time you need to run a genset or plug in to shore power to recharge your battery bank. Also, if you do not have solar, this can be added down the road to help recharge batteries and further reduce or do away with the need to run gensets or plug in.

Finally, any inverter set up should have a proper battery monitor to allow you to know exactly what state your battery bank is in. You want to know what your current state of charge is, how many amp hours have been used, how many amp hours are still available to be used, etc. This can only come from a proper battery monitor like a stand alone Trimetric 2025 or an integrated Magnum BMK or something similar.

An inverter set up can be simple or complex or somewhere in between. It really comes down to what your needs are and how much money you want to spend. I have installed simple set ups that power a couple of plugs and complex whole house setups that power the entire RV. It all comes down to the needs of the user.

There are a lot of smart people on this forum that can give good advice so ask away. I know I and many others are happy to help.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

I will start with saying I am pretty much an idiot when it comes to electricity. My son, however, is a Journeyman Electrician, so I do have some expert help.

I have been considering adding an invertor somewhere in the trailer. When we are traveling from point A to point B we usually stop and have some lunch. I have to tell you, I am really tired of having a sandwich when that microwave could be making some soup or Chef Boyardee or something.

So where would the best place to hook in an invertor and have it be switchable (i.e., not on all the time) so as not to drain batteries?

If this query is not making sense then please call foul and tell me so. Thanks!

To specifically address your questions in addition to my long post above:

1. The best place to locate an inverter is as close to the battery bank as possible. You want the DC cable run between the inverter and the battery bank to be short so there is little or no voltage drop. If your battery bank is a lead acid bank, then the inverter should not be in the same compartment as the battery bank due to the corrosive and explosive effects that the off gassing of a lead acid battery bank can have when combined with the electronics of an inverter.

2. Most decent inverters at least have an on off switch directly on the inverter so it is only drawing power from the battery bank when needed. Many inverters also have remote switches or displays with switches that will allow you to turn the inverter on and off as needed from inside the RV wherever you decide to mount the display/switch.

3. The AC output from the inverter can be run to pretty much anywhere in the coach that you can run wire for a plug. In the case of a whole house system, you only need to run an AC supply wire from the main power panel to the inverter and then an AC load wire from the inverter to the new sub panel. The circuits you want to power from the inverter will have to be moved from the main power panel to the sub panel. As long as the sub panel can be located close to the main panel, this is a relatively simply process.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Thanks for the above answers, especially to Chad Heiser and Bill B. (whose response came in just as I was posting) for the very detailed information.

I now appreciate that there is much more to this idea than I had initially imagined. While it would be far more money, I am almost thinking we might just want to invest in a genset. The trailer has a compartment for one and is all prewired for one. I think I can get my son over this weekend to closer study the possibilities.

Chalkie,

What is your budget for a project like this? We have travelled for many years and would not even consider not having an inverter. There are some great suggestions above. If, you are going the inverter route to power a microwave you might as well get the benefit of the expense and do a sub-panel and wire up most of the RV. You will find you will use it more than you think. We stop many night's while we're traveling at WM's and power on the satellite and entertainment center- microwave a bag of popcorn and just relax like we would if we were plugged into shore power. The battery bank we have is 690 a/h's and 705 watts of solar panels. We have a built in diesel 7500 watt genset that we use for AC if it is hot but like the quiet of the just using the inverter 98% of the time.

If you are going to get fancier than above, or want to expand out into solar, etc then you might find my website helpful. I cover most of the issues there. LINK

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I too am starting to think about an inverter and solar. I have seen a subpanel mentioned several times. When you install a subpanel and wire it to the inverter, does that mean the inverter runs those items 100% of the time or is there a switch that runs them only when not hooked to shore power

We have not really set a budget as this is still in the what-if phase.

Right now we have 2 12v Deep Cycle batteries wired in parallel. The batteries are in the front compartment with the hydraulic system. The breaker panel/converter/charger is located in a cabinet in the kitchen. The shore power plug is the rear of the trailer. As can be seen there is nothing close to each other, or precisely easy to get to. Since it is pre-wired for a genset there is a box in with the batteries that I "think" ties into everything as it is where the generator would hook up. I should be able to use that for a small portable generator although an Onan has a certain appeal too as it would allow us to turn on an a/c prior to arriving at a camping spot.

There is a company here in town that sells and installs Onans for far less than say Camping World. Think I will have to pay them a visit to see what I can learn.

I too am starting to think about an inverter and solar. I have seen a subpanel mentioned several times. When you install a subpanel and wire it to the inverter, does that mean the inverter runs those items 100% of the time or is there a switch that runs them only when not hooked to shore power

Normally you would just pop a transfer switch in there so when you're on shore power.. everything is powered. On inverter.. only the items in the subpanel are powered.

Normally a good inverter/charger has a built-in transfer switch. So when shore power is available, the power flows through the inverter to the sub-panel. When the shore power is out, then the inverter powers the sub-paanel.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I asked this question before and didn't get a clear answer. My trailer is prewired for a genset and has an inverter already wired. If I am careful about load management, can I wire the inverter to it? I realize I would need to turn off the converter & A/C and run the water heater and frig on propane

My trailer is prewired for a genset and has an inverter already wired.

I'm not sure I understand the question. If you already have an inverter why would you need another?

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

If going the generator route, just make sure your genset is big enough. The same goes for sizing an inverter. I have a small, Dometic 700w (output) microwave which the manual says draws 1,000 watts to run. I have a 1,200 watt/1,500 watt surge generator that won't run the microwave, yet it runs my 5,000 BTU AC just fine. The starting surge for the microwave is obviously more than 1,500 watts. An EU2000 Honda is a 1,600 watt generator with a 2,000 watt surge. It will probably run my little 700 watt Dometic microwave, but not a larger model.

Here's a good link that explains the surge that some electrical equipment takes to start: http://www.batteryspace.com/prod-specs/POWER_INVERTER.pdf

"If the microwave oven has peak surge which is 4 times the continuous wattage, the 1200 Watt continuous microwave ovens will have 4 x 1200 Watts = 4800 Watts peak surge. The recommended inverter to run 1200 Watt continuous and 4800 Watt peak surge microwave is 2500/5000 Watt inverter or larger."

They may be overstating their case a little, but their point is valid even if their numbers may error a little on the side of caution. Remember just because your car can do 120 MPH doesn't mean it's good for the engine to drive it at that speed all the time.

Chip

I have one 1500-watt PSW inverter along with several smaller (under 200-watt) PSW inverters. The small ones are under $100 on Amazon and can be safely plugged into "most" cigarette lighter plugs (YMMV on this bit). I discovered that I can run my 24-inch LED HDTV set AND a Blu-Ray player easily on one of these small inverters (under 100 watts for both).

At some point I plan to install a larger load-sharing inverter and will take care of the additional wiring then. Until then I have no issues with using a appropriate extension cord from the 1500-watt inverter to do what needs to be done and the smaller devices otherwise.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

Archived