A REALY CRAPPY PROBLEM

I have a Damon Tuscany with a Dometic Sealand model 210 toilet. Recently after flushing it failed to close completely and water commenced to fill up the tank. Fortunately we discovered it before it filled the MH with nasty fluid. The toilet had not been holding water well for some time so I removed the black rubber seals and cleaned them (a real pleasant task!). After replacing them the toilet sealed and held water, but only if one lifts the flush pedal up with their foot. I.E it doesn't replace the ball with out a lift assist.

Is there an easy fix for this? Or do I have to replace a part?

Pete & Judy Elam

The spring cartridge is replaceable, but not fixable. I have replaced mine a couple times over the years. Many RV parts places have them and there is always mail order. Expect it to cost $35 to $50.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Barb: You do not have to take the top off to change the spring cartridge, it is part of the foot pedal assembly. Otherwise I would agree with you.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Ours is almost 12 years old, and I have replaced it once. That took care of the problem. Fairly easy. Good luck.

Dick T

2006 Volvo VNL 630(VED12 400HP)
10 speed autoshift,3.58 gear 236" twin screw, w/ET, Jackalopee, Blue Dot
2016 Space Craft 37'

Blu/Dot, Dexter 8K triple axel, HD Drum hydraulic brakes

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

We had a problem with ours not wanting to close all the way (the ball seal - not the water valve). Ended up having to replace the metal lever assembly due to corrosion where it rides on the water valve "button". It always operated somewhat sluggish and you had to let it "pop" back up from the floor versus slowing it's return with your foot. After replacing the lever it operates with very little effort and is very smooth.

I did do a complete rebuild (ball, seals and spring cartridge) initially but had not changed the lever until later and was really surprised at how much difference it made. Actually may have been the culprit all along.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

We also have that Sealand toilet. My experience has been that it is very susceptible to mineral buildup on the ball and seal. The first two years we had the MH we replaced the seals twice and couldn't figure out why they were going bad. Then I read about using CLR in the bowl and it, indeed, does work. I haven't had any problems for the past two years. Now that we have a water softener we have probably further reduced the concern, but I'll still keep a bottle of CLR around, just in case.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies. Looks like I get to have some more fun laying on my side in front of the toilet. :)

And now of the fun before hand like when we were young? ;)

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Archived