Problem at gas stations.

kathydavidb

Do any of you have problems getting to the gas pumps and getting fuel in your rv? We have a gas rv so must use the pumps that the cars use. We are so long that getting in & out when the pumps are facing the building is hard. Often the rv islands only have diesel. Apparently the filling stations think all rv's are diesel. Then we even waited for 20 min. for a person to come back out to his car at the pump only to find out he was getting a slurpy at the food counter. Or then there was the lady that we waited for and when she finally came out told us she hadn't even got gas yet. She was in the rest room with her kids for 15 min. Once behind a car we can't back up to go to another pump. The filling stations are always the biggest issue when we travel. Is it just me or are any of you having as much fun at the pumps? Thanks for any problems or solutions at the stations you may wish to share. Dave.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

Flying J RV Island pumps will be your friend. I've also noticed that a lot of Loves are putting in RV Islands with both gas and diesel. And if you are in the west, there is always either Sam's Club or Costco for your fuel. Since Costco sells only gas, and all of the ones we've seen are one way in, pump, pay, pull out, I think that they would be good for you. Also look at gasoline islands at larger grocery chains. Both Safeway and Kroger-chain (Frys, Fred Myers, etc.) that have gas islands with their grocery store are almost always in a large parking area so you can maneuver around.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Dave, I don't have any solutions to offer... just commiseration. When initially leaving a site where we have stayed for a while, I will preview local gas stations for ones that will handle a long (36' + towed car) motorhome... and find the one that is best. When traveling, we will usually fill up first thing every morning, driving slow in order to find a gas station that can handle us. I never turn into a station that I can not clearly get out of, filled tank or no filled tank, to avoid the backup dilemma . Also, as Barb mentioned, Pilot / Flying J seems to accommodate us well - but we have found exceptions to that.

Long story short, no secrets - just patience.

Jim

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

Dave, you are definitely not the only one. A lot of that is just planning ahead and always taking advantage of a good fueling opportunity whenever it presents itself... even if you aren't necessarily in need of fuel at the moment. Barb had some good advice about the Sam's n Costco stops. The only issue I have with them are the lines. Sometimes 20 cars deep, however, if I'm low I definitely take advantage of them.

I also always try to make sure I have a couple of full 6 gallon can's on hand. That extra 12 gallons will generally get me to the next truck stop if I get stretched a little thin.

I don't know how long u r dave but I often use the Murphy's at Walmarts but I am careful about which one. If I have a doubt and I can do it I might even park real close and scout it out. I can often get the end pumps but I stay as far out from the pump as the hose will allow and I am able to swing wide coming behind the building and out the other drive. If I have good timing and can see whats going on I may go on around to the far end pumps and again stay out from the pumps and can still pull out that exit. Sometimes when doing this I may block others from exiting that way but you have to do what you have to do. I try to be as courteous as I can. The end or outside pumps at a lot of place can be accessable even at the Flying J's etc. As for the other stuff there are just going to be rude or thoughtless people. Friends used to have a mom& pop station with only pump island. Folks would regularly block pump thereby affecting their livelihood but in a small town it could have adversly affected them if they made a fuss.

1 plus is with a trailer I can back but I am alone with no one to spot so that is a last resort.

Since Costco sells only gas, and all of the ones we've seen are one way in, pump, pay, pull out, I think that they would be good for you.

I agree that Costco's are great, especially since the one in Prescott, AZ is now selling diesel! I hope they convert all their stations over.

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

Well, we too have that problem. Regarding other motorists, yes they can be a pain when they block the pumps while they shop at the mini mart. I have found some folks very considerate however, especially one nice man who saw me pull in and waved me to stop, jumped back into his car and moved to another pump island. I went to thank him, thinking he might be an RVr, but no, just a nice guy.

The only thing I can add is when we arelooking for gas on the interstate, we look for exits with several stations, they usually have big signs visible several miles ahead. That way we can pick the one with better access.

Carl

We use regular gas stations all the time. We use the outside lane and end pump. We do have to pass a few that would be impossible, must most are doable. We are 48' long. We are a 36' Class A pulling a utility trailer. We also use Murphy's, but there are some locations it is not possible. You can also use google and view the station on street view so you can pick the one you want at the city ahead. We usually check gas prices on gas buddy - then check out the stations.

Pat DeJong

Although mine is a diesel.....sometimes I dont hook up the toad but rather have my wife follow me to a fueling station. That gives me more choices. i fill up and pull out and then hook up the toad.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

I've found Google maps satellite and street views to be a real help in picking stations I can get into easily, check prices and then the maps to see how cheap you can get without having too much trouble getting to the pump.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

At some like the usable Murphy's the time of day can make a big difference. Somewhere in Okla. I was going to use one on a Friday late late afternoon early evening. It was so busy it would have been nearly impossible. I parked near the station where I could see it out the window had some supper, watched a little tv then about 9:30 I was able to pull in fill up and move back to the parking lot for the night.

Flying J and Pilot are generally my last choice due to cost. They are usually 30 to 50 cents higher than other stations in the area. We will occasionally use them when it is a last resort and we are towing the trailer.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

My first shot at the car and RV island at Loves almost ended in a disaster. I fueled up and then checked the straps on the toad and luckily noticed that if I pulled straight out the toad would hit the island. A Love"s worker helped guide me out. I use the truck lanes when I can. When I use a normal station i go for the end pumps unless there is plenty of room.

I pulled into a regular station once and realized I was in trouble, I was blocked in and blocking everyone else. A guy in a TT saw my predicament and backed out of his spot to let me thru. I wished I could have thanked him personally.

2014 Forest River Legacy

My cardinal rule when pulling into any fuel stop is to plan my exit before I pull in. I have had to wait someone out a couple of times when they pulled in and blocked my planned exit after I was at the pump, but by far the majority of the time I've had no problems.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Hi All

We had heard that Fred Meyers had good diesel prices. We are in Oregon and needed fuel.

We noticed a Fred Meyers sign and went in, the attendant directed our 40' DP and toad to an end pump.

We paid $2.61 a gal. Lowest we have paid in a long time.

Dave O

...We had heard that Fred Meyers had good diesel prices...

If you have their valued customer card or one from any of the other Kroger stores such as Fry's. Smith's, Dillion's, Ralphs, City Market or Kroger; you will earn points for grocery purchases that will give you additional discounts on fuel. The points can be earned at any of the stores and redeemed at any of the fuel stations including the Kroger owned convenience stores.

If you have their valued customer card or one from any of the other Kroger stores such as Fry's. Smith's, Dillion's, Ralphs, City Market or Kroger; you will earn points for grocery purchases that will give you additional discounts on fuel. The points can be earned at any of the stores and redeemed at any of the fuel stations including the Kroger owned convenience stores.

Thanks Traveler

The $2.61 included a Fred Meyers card that we hadn't used for over 5 years that my wife had.

I should have mentioned that in my original post. Price was still great at $2.65 w/o the card.

Dave O

• 2 weeks later...

Safeway (Von's, Tom Thumb) also have loyalty cards that can give 10 cents off for each $100 spent. Plus, they're stations offer 10 cents a gallon off for using debit card or cash - and their Safeway gift cards are considered cash at the pump!

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Safeway (Von's, Tom Thumb) also have loyalty cards that can give 10 cents off for each $100 spent. Plus, they're stations offer 10 cents a gallon off for using debit card or cash - and their Safeway gift cards are considered cash at the pump!

Barb

Maybe there are two Tom Thumb chains, but Kroger lists Tom Thumb convenience stores as one of their brands. My City Markey(Kroger) card has worked at the Tom Thumb stations I have stopped at. I always use my cash back credit card at Kroger brand fuel stations and have always gotten their fuel discount and the credit card cashback.

Something to keep an eye on is that Albertson's is buying Safeway (if the sale is approved by the Federal Trade Commission). Not mentioned in any of the articles I have seen, but in addition to Vons, Safeway owns Genuardi's Family Markets. I can not remember ever seeing fuel stations at Albertson's or Acme stores which are owned by Albertson's.

Archived