PA Campgrounds

bob&chris

I'm planning to do some genealogy research this summer in Pennsylvania. I'd like to visit Pittsburgh, Greensburg, Johnstown, Altoona, Pottsville, State College and Gettysburg. I've just begun searching for potential campgrounds and am surprised by what appears to be a lack of campgrounds in many of those areas. I use the We Camp Here and RV Park Reviews web sites. Many campgrounds that I have found are rated poorly and/or are not big rig friendly. I'll be traveling with a 40' fifth wheel towed by a CC LB truck. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2006 Jayco Designer 38 RDQS

2006 Ford F350 SRW

Hobie Mirage Oasis Tandem

We spent a week at a CG just a bit north of Pittsburgh this past September, Mountain Top in Tarentum. It is a beautiful setting - tell Gary I sent you!

You didn't mention Lancaster, but if you do end up in that area, DO NOT go to Sun Valley in Bowmansville - long story, but trust me.

If you end up needing a place near Philly, Brandywine Creek in Downingtown is really nice, tell Carmen I sent you and said hello!

Good luck!

Bill and Kelly

2014 Heartland Landmark Grand Canyon

2011 Ford F350 Super Duty Deisel Dual Rear Wheel Extended Cab XLT

<p> Callie along for the ride - Raskal and Cocoa now watching over us from above

new blog: bkamericanodyssey.com

You will have much better luck using Allstays. There is an app you pay for however you can access it from your computer for free. many campgrounds in PA are not big rig friendly. Depending on how far north of Pittsburgh you may want to check out Bear Run in Portersville. Not much farther north that will fit for you. Many CG are not highly rated as many are seasonal camps. Also be aware that east of Breezewood on US 30 there is a very steep grade. You might want to avoid it.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

Fox Den Acres in New Stanton is who we use to be near Pittsburgh, big rig friendly with long pull thru sites, just when checking in do not pull all the way up to the office stay back to turn left to the lowers sites. That will save you driving thru a tight section of the campground

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Bald Eagle State Park in Howard PA is fairly close to State College(20 min). It is well laid out with spacious sites, great hiking trails lots of roads for biking, and is a short hike or ride to a lake with boating, & beach area. Similar in design layout to many COE campgrounds. Two loops, one is non-pet. Mostly W&E sites, but are expanding FHU site availability. Easy to get to fm I80.

John & Ginny

2008 HitchHiker 37CKRD

2011 GMC 3500 HD, AirSafe hitch

S&B Millersville, MD

Archived