Passing San Antonio

Kevin H

Haven't been through there lately so don't know about construction or what time of day you're looking at but generally I'd opt for 1604 during busy times Not that 410 ever is traffic free (except maybe Sunday am) but you very probably would have come down I35 which is usually as bad as anything you'll experience in SA. Actually, depending on where you're leaving from in Austin I'd think about cutting over to 281 and taking it south. That would cut your distance on 1604 or 410 about in half and avoid I35.

I would take Loop 410 from I-35 to US-90. It usually free running and currently no construction. 410 is all 3 and 4 lane each way. 1604 can be busy and sometimes slow most any time of day. It is all 2 lane each way from I-35 to I-10. There may be some construction on 1604 from I-10 to US-90. I think Loop 410 is about 2-4 miles shorter from the same points N & W of SA than 1604.

We live in Universal City (at I-35 & 1604) and frequently travel 1604 to 281 & I-10. I much prefer 410 to 1604.

Thanks to all who responded. I've run 1604 in the past. I decided to run I-410 today. I went through at 1:00 this afternoon. Very little traffic and no stoplights.

Overall, I liked it better than 1604 where there are a bunch of stoplights for the last few miles.

If you are heading west from Del Rio, stop at Seminole State park for to see the pictogryphs. Then stop the Texas Visitor center in Langtry and take the 1/4 mile nature trail with all the local desert plants identified and also visit with Judge Roy Bean. Be sure to spend a week or so in Big Bend. January & February is a great time to visit.

If you are heading west from Del Rio, stop at Seminole State park for to see the pictogryphs. Then stop the Texas Visitor center in Langtry and take the 1/4 mile nature trail with all the local desert plants identified and also visit with Judge Roy Bean. Be sure to spend a week or so in Big Bend. January & February is a great time to visit.

Funny you say that Al - we are headed to Seminole. This will be my third winter leading the tours of the pictographs!! You are right on with your suggestions. This area looks pretty boring to the casual traveler but if you stop and explore it is fantastic.

Kevin, That sounds like a fun and interesting place to spend a few months in the winter. On our way to/from Big Bend, we have stopped at Seminole SP and viewed the pictographs several times in the last 45 years, as well as stopping for the night many times on the way to Big Bend. About 3-4 years ago I took the 6-7 mile guided hike down to Presa Canyon to view the numerous pictographs. Great hike.

Archived